- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 03 years old
- Ex-Bourbon + Toasted Virgin American Finish
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 500 ml
- batch 1019
- Added on
- 29 Oct 2019 8:13 pm by Ras Mazunga
one in wishlist
9 × member ratings
5 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Cley Whisky Dutch Single Malt Whisky
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 77.29 points
- Young and frankly not always my cup of tea. I really liked the nose, though. Full review (german): https://keinehalbendrinks.de/2020/11/19/erstlingswerke/
- In the category "young and spiritely" this is a pleasant dram. Don't expect huge complexity. It's a whisky with a good portion of fruit (pear), and creamy notes of maturation on wood. This triple distilled whisky is pleasant to drink. I prefer it to drams such as Glenlivet Founder's Reserve.
Tasted head to head with the cask strength version. This one is more fruit-forward and a bit less balanced. Still it's definitely a good whisky considering its age.
It's obvious that this whisky is young, but the nose is balanced. Perhaps the triple distillation works to get a soft spirit which is quite receptive to wood. What you get is a nose with ample orchard fruit (mainly pear) and red apple, some fusel oils (husks) which are a good balance to the fruitiness. It has picked up some vanilla, coconut and baking spice from the wood.
Quite chewy and viscous, with sufficient power. It is still dominated by pear, but with a creamy side (creme brulee) and toffee. Medium-sweet feel, not harsh or bitter at all.
Moderate of length, fading away pleasantly on pear, ginger bread, baking spice, vanilla custard. Not too complex but pleasant.
- thanks to it's home advantage my socre is on the positive side... Still searching for the gamechanging rye.
there will be a version that matires in an old Coal Ila barrel, hoping that will be the one!
- Not for me, it already has woody bitterness and it is only 3 years old.
It actually gets a little sweeter as you go on and does improve, so my first impression is incorrect but an aperitif before the aperitif's at best.
On the plus side this is my very first Dutch whisky :)