85.35/100
Strength
100 ml 700 ml
27 Oct 2019 5:17 pm by Tauti

Whisky Reviews for Bruichladdich 09-year-old Portmore BW

25 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.35 points

[December, 2019] Uarghh, what the f*** is this??? I had a dram out of a freshly opened bottle and instantly I was reminded of some of the biggest hangover impressions from my youth. This is both extremely sweet like a (cheap) liqueur and very bitter from the heavy peaty notes as if someone mixed the leftovers of a party into one bottle (the stuff no one dared to drink even after everything else was emptied).

This has nothing in common with a whisk(e)y, to be honest. And the two extreme flavour spikes fight each other fiercely that it hurts on my palate. Such drams are created just for one reason: To attract maximum attention no matter what it takes (the same way why some people wear pink shirts together with yellow trousers).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and if you like such extremes enjoy this dram (it is good for posting on facebook: "Look, what an unusual whisky I found!", at least). But I strongly refuse to call such stuff whisky and I am sure you get a much better (and cheaper) drink when mixing Bramble whisky liqueur with Angostura Bitter. Sorry folks, but I had to use the spittoon...

2. laddie105 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Junior

Boah wat sweet. So that's the sugar water that everyone warned me about. Very sweet, then smoke, then gone. You do not taste alcohol, but not because it is well integrated, but because the alcohol is completely superimposed by the sweetness. Very special malt and in my opinion not worth the price.
      Flat
      Sweet, sweet, sweet, smoke,
      And quickly away

3. Lorion scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

A top whisky! The nose is great, the palate is unique. 92 points.
      A beguiling sweet and creamy nose. Herbs, cheesy smoke and baked apple. Red apple peel. With some time comes sweet wood.
    • Taste
      How absurdly sweet this whisky is can only be understood if you try it yourself. It is really crazy. Grape juice, the smoke is downright subtle, because the enormously juicy sweetness takes everything first. Behind it develops a great herbal note and Christmas spices. Simply great! The alcohol is terrifically integrated.
      Long and sweet. The smoke remains to be guessed, he too is sweet. Kräutrig.

4. Koalafant scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Fair impressions Aquavitae 27.10.2019
    Extremely sweet and flat.
    => 83/100

5. Vertigo_2405 scored this whisky 69 points Member Senior

What to say
    This, let's call it whisky, malt is really interesting. A Port Charlotte barrel and an Octomore barrel.
    How cool! It can't get any better!
    Finished in a french wine cask.
    And then another 9 years.
    Everything cries out: MEGA STOFF !!!
    Well. (And that goes to her fan base now) THIS IS MY OPINION !!!!
    Where were we? Oh yes! Octomore & Port Charlotte! How cool is that!
    O my God! What was done to these two barrels? A cheek to sell such rubbish!
    This "wine barrel" was wet, or what do I know. The effect was that the whisky was floating in a soup that no one can drink. The worst whisky 2019! The wine sweetness overlays everything from the whisky. A plush before the Lord! Sorry but that's the way it is!

6. edhunter15 scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

What can I say? This whisky definitely knows how to polarize. In the Nosing the Portmore can convince me with its sweet, but at the same time classic Octomore or Port Charlotte flavors. I'm not sure what to say about the sugar explosion in my mouth. On the one hand, I think that's super exciting and somehow delicious, on the other hand, it also looks a bit cheesy and unbalanced. With the Laddiemore, which represents the whisky of the year for me, he can not keep up in my opinion, but he is still fun and can provide a lot of conversation.
      Wow! A voluminous and multi-layered fruitiness, characterized by sweet Glühweinbonbons and warm strawberry sauce, but also from slightly musty apple rings, flows towards me. These flavors are carried by a nice earthy smokiness, which I find again and again in Octomore. The classic Laddie character with its musty barn and cereal notes also comes into its own. With some time in the glass then also show pleasant creamy vanilla, some milk coffee and soft wood notes and the fruitiness develops more towards classic wine flavors.
    • Taste
      First, earthy and slightly kräutrige smoke flavors set the tone here. But then, almost explosively, an extremely intense sweetness appears, spreading almost like a liqueur throughout the mouth. I've never had anything like that before with a whisky. It almost seems like I've put a handful of mulled wine and cherry sweets in my mouth.
      Even in the finish, the sweetness remains. Hard to believe that this is unsweetened whisky in the glass! But now the earthy notes and pleasantly soft wood are recognizable. Nonetheless, in the end, almost all the sweetness is left behind, like a heavily sweetened drink.

7. Dottore scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Puuuuh! that's the sweetest whisky I've ever had in the glass. brutal, like a liqueur. Nevertheless, it is always multi-faceted, especially through the combination with the smoke. The sweet herbs remind me of the cough syrup of my childhood, the only positive thing that I remember from colds. also quince juice. The Laddiemore, so the predecessor was in my opinion but in a different league, maybe in the same - but then rather Paderborn against Bayern Munich. but Heynckes Bayern, not Kovac Bayern. Nevertheless, Paderborn can win on some evenings. my lips now stick together properly.
    You MUST have at least tried. Well done Marco. what's next? Lochmore? Laddieloch? Laddieport? 87 points

8. Sleinn nam Ffoh scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Extremely sweet and extremely tasty mix of Port Charlotte and Octomore.

9. Maltlife scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

An individualist who either attracts or repels one. All in all, however, interesting in its own way.
      Sweet smoke (bacon / Black Forest ham), some dark chocolate, then, if you "smelled" through the smoke, something dark fruit, in the meantime a herbaceous trail (very light Maggi).
    • Taste
      It's hard for me to stay factual here: BAM! The sugary sweetness is immediately and inexorably on the tongue and takes in the same train mouth. Then the smoke (of course sweetish) mixes with it and (yes, this is often read about the Portmore) gives an almost liqueur-like impression. The alcohol is barely noticeable. I did not expect that - "sugar water" is very good in this case. What do I think about that? Well, somehow I was quite skeptical in advance and I'm not sure, at the moment of trying. The sugar I can literally lick from the lips after the first sip. This circumstance as well as the very dominant smoke do not hit me completely, which precludes a too positive evaluation on my part. But I'm sure that there are certainly lovers for this. Nevertheless, I could imagine enjoying a dram every now and then, in appropriate moments. One would be enough in any case.
      Medium long, quite pleasant. Sweet, smoky.

10. Whisky_Momente scored this whisky 79 points Expert Junior

A sentence with X, was probably nothing. Neither a nice wine flavor, nor Octomore or Port Charlotte were to be tasted. For up to 40 € it would fit, but it is not worth more. Marco or Didi does not have to answer for that, at least I can not imagine it. No thanks