Lagavulin 11-year-old

700 ml 750 ml
L9219CM0030001802
20 Oct 2019 1:22 pm by Ed Radour

Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 11-year-old

27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.12 points

1. lincolnimp did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

This has only been out a few weeks it cost roughly 75$ which is about £58.
    It is the same 46% abv as the regular 16 year which costs £49
    Is this any better for the extra £10, is it worth paying over £200 on the secondary market, after such a short time, I suppose it depends on whether you are going to drink it or you need it for your Lagavulin collection?

2. Dram Dracula scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

A bit raw and spicy. Definitely underaged. Aftertaste has a bit of cardboard, varnish, and bitterness. I would take a regular 16yo over this any day. Not recommended. A confusing "offer"ing by Lagavulin.

3. Dyno did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

The prices on this whisky are just SAD... i wonder what Offerman would think of this...

4. RahRah809 scored this whisky 91 points Newbie

Burns night this year a group of friends and I got to tuck into a bottle of Lagavulin Offerman 11 - what a treat! The one resounding comment we all had to make was “Wow. That really is a good one.”

Quite different to Lagavulin 16, but also similar. Feels exceptionally well balanced. Softer on the peat, more rounded with green and golden fruit with a
    particular smoothness. I was hyped for trying this whisky and I absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately, we finished it off over the weekend, but well worth it!

Side note: a whisky is worth what people will pay for it; It’s a really very good whisky indeed for the money, and actually eclipses some far more expensive whiskies that I’ve tried in terms of quality and value. It’s worth a try before leaving pretty unhelpful reviews being salty about prices! We bought on the secondary market because there are no retailers in my country, but I don’t begrudge for a second paying market value. Or in the words of Ron Swanson: “I regret nothing. The end.”

Slainte Mhath!
      A low driftwood bonfire crackling on a pebble beach. Kelp and sea spray. Honey on toast.
    • Taste
      Smokey, but perhaps slightly less than classic Lagavulin. Notes of honey and vanilla and a slight hint of pepper. Warmth of wood underlying. Sweetens with just a drop of water, bringing our notes of baked green apples and apricots.
      Medium-long, the gentle peat lingering before giving way to a lovely lasting taste of honeyed fruits.

5. Dave1989b scored this whisky 92 points Newbie

6. CaptainRick scored this whisky 91 points Member Junior

Beautifully smooth Lagavulin, on a par with the faithful 16yo but with a touch of spicy-sweet character. Slightly more delicate mouthfeel than other Lagavulin. Good amount of peat. A very well-balanced dram.

7. Palindrome scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

The nose has faint hints of some bourbon wood with sugar and spices along with some oceanic notes and that seaweed that grows on the Lagavulin side of Islay.

The mouth has the usual Lagavulin flavor with a bit of wood, peat, dark sugar, glazed ham, and some black pepper/chili. For me, the finish is just medium, not medium to long.

Most Lag 12's have what I would describe as a medium to long finish, and sometimes a long finish. I got a bunch of twelves in 2019 and then didn't care for that year's batch all that much. I gave some of those bottles away to be frank. To my sense of things, the reviews on WB for that 12 were too high, especially among reviewers that I had come to trust.

The tasting notes for this 11 sound well and fine, but I think it's not up to the depth and character of another seven years.

Where I live, the 16 is the same price as this Offerman edition. I like the 16 better and the 12 is much better, depending upon the year. 2016 was quite nice, and 2011 and 2012 were also fantastic. 2016 was the anniversary of Lag and it was just fabulous although the 2012 was a beast and so fun. Ever since Diageo took over with the different label, things have gone downhill for me. Call me a humbug if you like. The label design is fine, but the whisky inside doesn't seem as good to me. It has the usual calculated and forced kind of Diageo style instead of a rogue element that used to make Lag special in my estimation.

Did Diageo get rid of worm tubs, I wonder? I know Lag doesn't have them now, I seem to recall Lag used to have at least one and I seem to recall it was very old and even possibly made of wood. I could be wrong about that. Whatever the reason, Lag isn't as good as it used to be and that difference seems due to mechanization and computerization over the natural and untamed human spirit of intuitiveness. I'm guessing production was also increased and that rarely ever helps quality.

I took a point off because the name of this edition is offputting as packaging, especially with the stupid retro picture of Offerman. It's a gimmick that doesn't bode well. Offerman's reputation seems like a gimmick, as well. He's from a well-connected insider family like all the rest. His image in Hollywood was pre-planned and didn't come about because of his own personality or interests.

The yule log video of Offerman sitting by the fire and drinking whisky for three quarters of an hour was not funny or enjoyable. Neither was the commercial about driving to Lagavulin distillery from LA to ask if a glass Offerman was served in some LA bar was genuine. To me, Offerman is annoyingly fake. I don't believe his public persona is the real Nick.

8. alex..w..fan scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

22 22 21 22 87

Good luck in the evening - there is a lot of smoke in the nose, and in the taste of pepper, and the further the tastier!

9. Myst111 scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Had a blind tasting. Absolutely great, I like it better than the standard 16 year old. Absolutely top
      Apricots, milk chocolate, sweet, Rei Sattl, smoky but not dominant, soft, some citrus, dried fruits, sea salt
    • Taste
      Smoky, sweet and fruity, some maritime notes in the background some smoked bacon
      Medium to long.