88.57/100
Single Grain
Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
Listening to the frog chorus
03.12.1980
2nd Fill Hogshead / Toasted Oak Finish
G6.9
Strength
08 Oct 2019 9:15 am by Tauti

Whisky Reviews for Port Dundas 1980 SMWS G6.9

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.57 points

1. FernetBranco scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

• Taste

2. Canucks89 scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

Scent: mild grain. White chocolate.
    Flavor: mild grain.
    Aftertaste: medium long. Woody.

3. Sensefreak scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

I tasted this wonderful grain over several days.
    The first sip told me, that air was needed. It needs A LOT OF TIME in the glass !!
    Typical old grain with all the best you can imagine.
    A fortnight later I tasted it H2H with 44yo Invergordon from Jack Wiebers Cross Hill serie.
    Both where poured and left alone in the glasses. I only nosed them for 45 min.
    For me G6.9 is one of the best grains I´ve ever tasted thanks to the air and my patience ;-)

4. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

N: This one is revealed to us straight away as Port Dundas. The legs stick to the side of the glass like glue. With a light fruitiness, it smells of glue too, enough that I can easily imagine myself in the middle of an Airfix modelling & craft festival. Settling down, it’s very creamy [thick & yellow] with old leather armchairs, black tea, dry-ash pineapple,….
    T: Rum & cognac-like, this is a cocktail-in-a-glass leaning closely towards a Painkiller – that’s a Pina Colada with a splash of orange juice, [sometimes] a measure of cognac and a dusting of ground nutmeg. In this case, I’d add it’s more like peach juice rather than OJ. I add water. It’s not as robust as I’d imagined it would be. Dilution, whilst bringing integration, simplifies things.
    F: It seems to appear hot without actually being hot and with a creamy woodiness into Golden Syrup [Phil]. Finishes dunnage-y with a soft plastic quality and chilli milk.
    C: Scores 85 with water, 87 neat.

5. dramspotter did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

SMWS Tasting Notes: We were fermenting strawberries with vanilla beans, orange peel, almond extract, fresh mint leaves and not to forget plenty (and we mean plenty!) of Spanish-style rum from the likes of Panama or Venezuela. On the palate neat, simple but delicious like moist banana bread drizzled with a warm salted caramel sauce. We were careful when adding water but wow! Imagine sitting in a mahogany and cane deck-chair on the porch of a plantation house listening to the relaxing evening chorus of the whistling frogs. After 36 years in an ex-bourbon hogshead we transferred this whisky into a 2nd fill toasted oak hogshead.