Talisker 15-year-old

L9185CM013
06 Oct 2019 9:45 am by Stef89
Cask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Talisker 15-year-old

57 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.91 points

[November, 2019] Last year's 08-years old Talisker Special Release (WB id 116922) was hyped by some experts but I found it rather one-dimensional (herbal-spiked based on heavily re-charred casks) and extremely bitter-astringent wood-driven like almost all of Diageo's last year's special releases. It seems as if they did not go for this aggressive modern whisky style this year with all three Glen Ord, Cragganmore and Lagavulin being very much to my liking. So what about this year's Talisker?

Yep, this is Talisker as I love it! I did not like any of last year's special releases but I do like all of 2019 (I tasted so far). My personal favourites are Lagavulin (92 points), followed by Talisker and Cragganmore (both 90 points with a slight preference to Talisker) and Glen Ord is last (still very good 89 points in my book). Well done, Diageo! ...but the price of the Mortlach is a bad joke, isn't it?
      The colour is amber and the nose offers a balanced and complex profile of malt-, peat- and wood-driven aromas. The typical Talisker herbs are well integrated into sweet barley sugars and fruits, maritime peat smoke and spicy woods. No off-note and no imbalance, that is how whisky should be (in the traditional sense, I understand that some drinkers prefer strange flaws or extremely spiked drams these days - which is absolutely fine). After some breathing the nose becomes punchier (the high abv takes its toll) which is funny because mostly it is the other way around. Some drops of water help to bring the dram back to the fine initial nose.
    • Taste
      The taste is nicely layered on molten barley sugars with herbal infusions first but the spices kick in very soon. Later some fruits dare to show up and a tasty vanilla-toffee note develops slowly. This dram is nicely chewable and I suggest to do so for some minutes - there is a delicious tasting movie on my tongue with a lot of interesting moments to explore. What a difference to last year's herbal-monochrome 08-years old! This 15-years old is full-coloured and very entertaining without any boring take. Water releases more aromas in the nose and turns the taste sweeter and smoother but the layers are gone now. I like to explore this dram neat and then I enjoy to play a little with water - this dram swims very well.
      The dram arrives warming and with an instantly coating effect on my palate without distracting impressions. Hey Diageo, great cask selection and excellent distilled spirit given this fine texture. The finish is long (accordingly) and turns a little more to the spicy side of Talisker what I like. Again not a single bitter or drying moment, these casks were all perfect, indeed. Hats off to whoever selected this year's casks - you did a marvellous job! And could you do this next year again, please? Or maybe in two years from now if the marketeers plan to go for another round of modern woodsky in 2020...

2. markjedi1 scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Talisker Trinity

Talisker is immensely popular (and rightfully so), which explains why this Special Release comes in over 42.000 bottles. Only Lagavulin does more. After the 30 years old from 2014 and the (fantastic) 8 years old from last year, Talisker now comes as a 15 years old. Staying in the theme ‘Rare by Nature’, this bottle too was giving a special label. I quite like it. I hope I can say the same of the malt.

There, the Talisker Trinity presents itself from the moment I put my nose in the glass. Pepper, peat and salt. I get a fisherman’s boat and seaweeds, a warm sandy beach, sea salt and molded wood. Hints of peach and lemon. Delicious.

Hmmm, surprisingly rich and sweet. Even a tad creamy. Apple sauce, pepper and salt with a truckload of salted caramel. Drying towards the end. Brilliant Talisker that reminds me somewhat of the 57° North.

The finish is very long, drying on toffee and lime.

Again a great release from the oldest distillery on Skye. I’m going to order me another bottle.

3. Stef89 scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

I think the Special Release Talisker tip. He has for my taste a wonderfully balanced profile that does not deny his origin, but still he has plenty of power.

I have to say that I do not know the old CS Talisker, but that's how I imagine it.
      Of course, the alcohol is present in the nose; at 57.4 he is allowed to do that and he is very well involved in that.
      The smoke is quite tame and a nice, but indefinable sweetness comes through. And at this malt here I finally have the much-quoted sea breeze.
    • Taste
      The taste is rather dry. The sweet is just a companion and completes the whole. The smoke is now stronger but still no smoke monster.
      And there it is again ... this salty / tingling mouthfeel that I love so much.
      He is strong enough and he can handle a lot of water.
      In the end he still has a certain sharpness on the tongue. Will probably be the "Chilli Catch".
      I do not think much of that word.
      I'll call it peppery.
      The departure is unfortunately a bit short.
      The smoke stays longer and a nice oak cargo comes with. Not bitter, not woody but very balanced. That's it

4. JungleDram scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

First impression:

Somewhat restrained on the nose, salty maritime, a bit of cowshed, followed by sweet notes of candied ginger and orange peel, barely any smoke. Surprisingly sweet on the palate, relatively weak smoke, barely fruit, some brown sugar, iodine, maritime impacts. The finish is immediately full, warm and medium to long, with the classic Talisker Pfeffrigkeit / the Chili Catch.

Very pleasant winter malt with moderate smoke, compared to the Cragganmore SR19 less complex, but also a little more pleasing and tasty. Only the price tag spoils my pleasure a bit ...

5. dRambo scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

I found the 8er from the last time quite delicious - the many sherry has overshadowed me a bit like the Talisker DNA - this is the best for me since a long time from the still - the price is very fair for this balanced - clear - but mature still wild creation in CS - with dream nose
      beautiful strong nose without alcoholic stinging, maritime and salty with nicely integrated great aged smoke, sweet honey, sourish delicious lemon, some grass, flowers, lime, nutmeg, cinnamon - if you let it rise rather sweeter fruits on - reminds me of Sherry, dried dates and figs, mint, furniture polish - very yummy - you can inhale deeply without stinging something or nose off - complex, delicious, vibrant alive - incredibly good to wegriechen
    • Taste
      pleasant sweet, salty, nice camp fire smoke, clearly licorice, dried fruit - raisins, dats, figs, lemon - dense oily texture, very good to enjoy without water, some chalk, mint, ginger, a lot of cocoa with a little nut
      Foliage, sawdust, old dry wood, resin, open fire, honey and dates, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, a little ash, seaweed, salty spray - nice oily, warm, medium long

6. LeChiffre scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

A beautiful powerful Talisker that comes along wildly maritime. Too bad it is a SR, he would look good as a powerful addition (%%> 45.8%) in the default 10y, 18y and 25y portfolios.
      spicy and smoky (campfire); maritime notes of seaweed, salt and marine varnish; with a noticeable sweetness and citrus notes; Alcohol well integrated;
      With increasing time in the glass, the beautiful spicy sweetness emerges more and more behind the initially superficial smoky-maritime notes. This malt can take time in the glass and is fun in the nose.
    • Taste
      In the beginning, sweet paired with a slight spiciness. Then the Talisker-typical tingling-peppery character powerfully hits. Behind a pleasant sweetish smoke. When swallowed, the maritime (salty) notes show clearly (with hints of iodine). It gets a little rounder with water.
      medium length and easy to dry; peppery spicy; tingling; maritime notes (iodine easily noticeable); pleasant note of smoke remains

7. Jackson05 scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Quality is high, but not my favourite notes. Not a necessary purchase for me personally. I know it’s the favourite of many, out of this years release. I prefer the Cragganmore.
      Hot and spicy with lots of pepper. White, black, cayenne. All the peppers. Orange zest, some wax, soft florals, nougat. Water is obligatory, for me at least.
    • Taste
      Chocolate orange, soft wax, still lots of pepper, paprika. Good viscous mouthfeel. Vanilla and gentle peat that comes across as smoke.
      Long, spicy with pepper running all the way (even with water). Soft smoke, but still quite spicy, even with lots of water.

8. SmokeyRuhr scored this whisky 89 points Member Junior

A Talisker with more than the usual 45.8% alcohol content. But even if it is "only" 15 years, I find the alcohol very well integrated, almost hidden in the aroma and in taste, he makes a great job as a taste carrier.
    I enjoyed it without adding water.
    Maybe I should test that again.
      First, I have a nice sweet note in the nose, which surrounds itself with a very fine coat of smoke. It takes time to discover more, but time is worth it.
      Even easier it made the direct comparison with the 10s. Then you can find more quickly the similarities and typical Talisker notes. However, the 15er plays in a completely different league and again and again his sweet flavors come to the fore. The smell makes me definitely fun.
    • Taste
      Also in the mouth comes first a sweet experience, but really sweet, only then comes the typical seasoning and then a little bit the oak.
      I have had it in my mouth for a long time and it has developed from sweet towards a pleasant chocolate or coffee bite. Unfortunately, I can not describe the sweet character more accurately, all I can think of is "delicious".
      It comes into its own, if the sips are not too small, even if I tend to swallow a little more on more expensive whiskys. It's worth it though.
      Maybe it is due to the long time in the mouth, but the finish is then rather short.
      He says goodbye with a little sugar and a slowly decaying coffee.
      However, I like that after the intense and sweet taste very well. It's okay for me.

9. Moses scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

This time it's not just the nose that convinces, because even the palate can surprise. A great texture for this age paired with everything your heart desires. Sweet, sour, salty and some umami. So I have to say once again a Talisker for eternity. Clear buy recommendation for all nerds. A must!
      But even the nose is already at a high level. Sweet oak well balanced with some tobacco leaves. I did not have such a good nose for a long time. With water comes the increase. Should not be missing. A walk by the sea and everywhere lemongrass grows. Wow ... I'm impressed!
    • Taste
      In the mouth to the palate, it goes off completely. Peppery, salty, sweet and peated caramel poles. But hello. This barrel selection is awesome. Respect to the house Talisker. Again, water brings him closer and makes a softer texture. Almost the bottle of the year! So the question arises between him and my beloved 18er !?
      Medium to long but nothing special anymore. Now it's clear he's missing some important years. Anyway, peaty peppery and still sweet, he leaves the stage like a big one. Strong bottle. Praise to Talisker and a big thank you to André for the big sample. Experience Malt!

10. Archer scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Although the finish leaves something to be desired leaves a very beautiful and "distinctive" bass strong Talisker, especially in the nose, which develops slowly and then but more so with beautifully matched flavors can score.
      It takes a while for it to open. But it pays to be patient:
      Subdued smoke from a campfire on the beach. Salty sea breeze, bacon, grilled apricot pieces, vanilla. The wind has turned, the smoke becomes more intense. Dry wood, loamy soil, mushrooms. Spice mixture that fails to break apart. All flavors very interwoven and in harmony with each other.
    • Taste
      With a strong punch on the tongue. Sweetness of apricot, orange and quince jelly. Seaweed, salt, the sea breeze liquefied from the nose. Mild smoke. Toffee and caramel, hazelnuts, fresh bread dough. Over time, pepper clearly, this typical Taliskerschärfe.
      Just as medium, dry, peppery. Only a little fruit, but a bit of dry wood, milk chocolate, toffee. Fringe out the back and feel a little thin and watery.