92.09/100
Regensburger Whisky- & Weinclub (RW&W)
Private Club Bottling No. 13
12.10.2019
Oloroso-Sherry, PX, Riesling-TBA
Strength
03 Oct 2019 10:58 pm by MFHaberl
UncoloredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for VOLXWHISKY The English Patient

18 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 92.09 points

1. jay83 scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

Unlike last year's club bottling, which was extremely marked by its versatility and playfulness, this year's path takes us back to rock-solid Islay style. Nevertheless, the excellent handwork in the final result is also evident here. The ingeniously selected raw material was refined again to the point with still older distillates of the distillery and in the quality (and age-specific) outstanding barrels to the point rounded off. The result is a wonderful Islay malt whose three pillars (spirit, barrel influence and smokiness) are reminiscent of past decades. No primary-flavored peat bomb, but an incredibly elegant, "old-school" island paint. But at no point does the vitality and power remain on the track. Wonderfully fruity-sweet overall impression, which is consistently unbelievably mouth-shaking interwoven with subtle coastal flavor and elegant smoke impressions. Really old-school but never boring. Another slowdrink statement and again great cinema. In terms of price / performance unbeatable! If the distillery itself publishes such a bottling, you would be priced at x-times! Chapeau ...

2. MarcoWe65 scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

It is friday morning and a perfect time to start in the weekend.
    So lets see what this years bottling brings to us.
    Thanks Rick for sharing your bottle. I'm happy to get every year a sample from friends from germany.
    Normally you don't open a bottle so quickly after bottling, so lets see if it is drinkable :-)

The smoke is immeditaly present, but not too heavy. Oaky,spicy,old sherried style.
    Reminds me on older ''A'' bottlings from the 70's.
    On the palate it is a well balanced sherry malt with spicy and old peaches notes. Not too dry but also a complete different style than the new Sherrycask generation.
    I don't need water for this one. The abv is pretty well chosen.
    I can feel more the dryer Oloroso Cask than the PX, which I like more. Too sweet wouldn't be my taste.So all good for now.
    I have to compare this dram to the older ''Crois Chill Daltain'' bottlings. I think I remember a similarity between these bottles.
    It paints more and more the picture of Ardi or Laga in my head.
    The Chill daltains had more sherry influence and this one is more complex. If I would guess, this one is older and has a much cleaner islay character.
    The finish is mid to long. Nothing what disturbs me for now.
    Spicy and old school sherry style. From plums,peaches,coffee,chocolate and tropical fruits.
    Surprisingly fruity but still different from many islays like Caol Ilas, Bunnas or Laddies.

I will give this one another try tomorrow or maybe on sunday and will add some notes.
    For me this years bottling is better like the last years Seagull because it is much cleaner and not overloaded with extreme sherry(even if the Seagull is an old bowmore, but there was not much left of the old bowmore style).
    And that is what I love, when I can taste the charakter and decade.
    I would guess that the sherry casks used here were good old second fill european oak from the 60's or70's.
    I don't know if they have such a good connection to get a old cask like this from ''A'' or ''L'', but if you ask me I would immediatly say it is one of them. Don't expect a modern peated style. It is something different.You have to go back in history to taste some older bottlings.

That is my first impression.
    Well done

3. Paulsenheimer scored this whisky 100 points Member Junior

Auge: We have to talk about the label first. Some say that enjoyment is never apolitical. The "political touch" may not please everyone, but the whisky is in the tradition of the already discussed "Russian snap" and may be enjoyed with a pinch of sarcasm. The label is wonderfully trashy. The color reminds me of a mahogany paneled room. Quiet, yes dignified, the whisky rolls through my snifter. The legs take their time, do not hurry. Deceleration. Then they come slowly, but extremely fine and nuanced. Salivation begins.

Nose: A complex and extremely compact aroma front strikes me. There will be a lot to unpack. First impression is cocoa, Nesquik cocoa powder to be exact. Then smoked bacon. Light mineral in the background. Multivitamin sweet. Honey. Forest floor. A parfait of tonka bean. Roasted rind. Malagaeis. Although the whisky is not biting, I add a few drops of water. The result is breathtaking! The whisky is suddenly fruity. Notes from a basket full of stone fruit. Oats. Creme brulee. Then a very brilliant mandarin. Chestnuts. Musk. And certainly you could discover many more nuances. The complexity of this whisky is insane.

Mouth: Pleasant and very aromatic. The feel is to kneel down. Oily and fine. One does not like to swallow. The alcohol is just an echo, which tingles something on the tongue to say "hello" for a moment. Really elegantly integrated. The taste is initially dry. Leather. Cold smoke. Malt. Then the whisky gets sweeter. A dark sweetie. Very pleasant. Much sweeter with water. Suddenly a clear ash aroma stands out. Strong. Ripe and round on the palate. Pure elegance.

Heart: Spicy on the palate when swallowing. Direct malagasy in the nose. Ether. Iodine. Leaves a deep but subtle sweetness in the mouth, especially on the tongue. Absurd long reverberation. Cocoa, cold smoke and ashes form the final chord, because you want to take another sip.

Conclusion: Go straight into my top 3 single malts of all time. That's a league in itself. It does not matter which distillery it comes from. A whisky to sit down and lose in it. More than a drink. More than a stimulant. That's perfection.

4. short0r scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior

First Notes for "The English Patient"
    This is certainly a complex Islay malt. This has been bottled just a few days ago, so it still needs to settle to show its full potential, a bit shy at first but rewarding if you give it time
    It shouldn't be a problem to identify distillery on islay, if you have some islay standard bottling, have them side by side.
    I'll come back to this in time to add and refine notes / score

Dear flippers: grow wise, drink and enjoy
      Burned Christmas stollen/apfelstrudel, eucalyptus, sweet iodine, roasted plums and a cold dry breeze of ashsmoke.
      After 30min: herbal, herbal cough drop, and a cheese note
    • Taste
      Sweet and dry smoke. Glaced nuts, pistachios. No nip, no alcohol burn, well rounded, marzipan potatos,
      More sweet smoke and a pinch tymne
      herbal, spicy and dry smocked

5. dewo scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior

First of all to the bottle.
    The 13th club bottling of the Regensburg Whisky & Wine Club Slowdrink.
    "The English Patient", we as Scotch and Malt drinker / connoisseur, we do not really know what's going on with the island nation and if / if not, what are the Whisky price. , , ,
    And John Bercow towers over everything on the cork and also looks uncertainly "down right".
    You do not have to see everything as seriously as you read it, especially not if it is written on the bottle "very basic single malt of low quality".
    It is not a simple malt and certainly not of low quality.
    Who has the honor to hold this bottle in the hand, respect, everything done right.
    It is rumored that the distillate has been refined with even older bottles of the still and then the barrel maturing in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, a PX Barrique and a Riesling TBA barrel has gone through.
    A throw away at whisky.
    But I'm very curious how it in 3-4 months "settlen" still changed. The drop is, like all Great Britain, still in "turmoil" after bottling 2 weeks ago.
      Very distinctive is the nose in an Islay whisky in it.
      The smoke is immediately there and first dominant, but since that comes, or the barrels and that is exciting. Slightly malty sweetness and grape fruity notes blend slightly peppery sherry notes into an excellent composition.
      But also the light salty pinch from the south coast is present in the nose.
      Slight iodine and licorice notes come through and I have sweet dry fruits such as dates and plums in the nose.
      Elegant power, venerable and exciting. Great round and "clean".
      From the nose, it is an old, long-matured malt.
      I really let him first 20 minutes in the glass of air to the drop and sniffed me full.
    • Taste
      The second sip makes the palate really nicely smoky wrapped with a very light slit on the tongue.
      Then the PX sherry keg wins, quickly becomes slightly dry and only slightly promotes salivation.
      Now you're in the mood to have an old sherry-barreled jock in your glass.
      Very balanced and wedded are the smoky, the drier peppery sherry notes, as well as the very light berry woody spiciness with a light sweetness, I quite lightly taste a "salty peanut chocolate".
      I also think of light tobacco, which comes safely from the keg, of whatever.
      Not playful, straight out and with age, these are the words that are on my tongue.
      The finish is really awesome.
      Long after swallowing, the smoke is still slightly there, but is replaced by dry herbaceous notes and replaced by speculoos. Also, the iodine is still yes and it disappears very slowly accompanied by a vanilla sweetness.

6. kanpai79 scored this whisky 93 points Specialist

And again such an incredibly complex (and yet much more difficult to classify, as my beloved Seagull) ArdLagPhroaig from the Regensburg witches kitchen .... thank you P. for the repeated nose-tongue throat confused ... love it ... geiler shice like that Berlin hipster likes to say. With water, completely different whisky. I'll give the smoky brother a few more months to relax and calm down .... and solidify my opinion that the potential candidate trio will become a duo. Clear case of (very positively meant) WTPhroaig?! .. :-)

7. RollOff scored this whisky 94 points Member Senior

Colour:
    Dark tea / chestnut, slightly cloudy.

Nose:
    The first nose drives me directly a smile in the face. A very set, elegant, spicy whisky streams out of the glass. The maritime-salty smoke holds back discreetly and is very well interwoven with the sherry aromas. The sweetish aromas immediately remind me of the Christmas dice, marzipan and plums, raisins in rum, violets (lilane sweets).
    A whopping, but not unusual oak note is there throughout. The alcohol is perfectly integrated and hardly noticeable. From time to time, a slightly sour note comes out and disappears in the next second.
    It's fun, you could smell it forever.

Taste:
    Wonderfully spicy it explodes in the mouth. First comes a load of salt and lighter, greasy smoke. Immediately thereafter, musty, old oak broads in the interplay with sweet and sour dark fruits. The alcohol strength is perfect, it should not have more or less%. Overall, everything fits together perfectly, you want to keep the drop as long as possible in the mouth.

Finish:
    Salty, conclusive, a little musty. Very dry. Somewhat later, something (pipe) tobacco and smoke come out again.

Comment:
    A gorgeous, set and complex Malt! You have to take your time, there is a lot to discover. The light smoke, the sherry influences, the salt and the old oak play together perfectly. I do not want to commit myself to a distillery, I leave that to the professionals. But there is a tendency.
    Great work, Pit!

8. Othorion scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Elegant, warm apple pies, iodine, fruit bread, orange oil, tangerines, burnt marshmallows, lots of cocoa, plums, smoked bacon, rum raisins, almonds, honey, a touch of rosemary and tamarind. Again and again come new impressions without an aroma dominates! Great!
    • Taste
      Very oily, sweet, dark fruity, chimney smoke, leather, honey, bread dough, roasted almonds, bacon, a little salt, then again sweetness, no alcohol to feel, old bookcase
      Infinitely long, warming, spicy, with smoke, light sweetness, cocoa and roasted nuts, getting dry

9. Kalleholzbein scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Overall, a very successful whisky. Class interplay between sherry, sweet herbs and maritime notes. For 175 € for me definitely a purchase, even if everything was already out of print in the pre-order and bottles are therefore only to have on the secondary market. The question still remains what distillery it is ... It is "A" in the room, but could also be an "L" for me! But since I'm not the biggest Islay specialist, I abstain from a definite opinion :)
      Class interplay between sherry & peat. Intense and great nose, nice Islay style with sweet herbs and maritime notes, greasy.
    • Taste
      very pleasantly soft and cool in the mouth. Sparkling, sweetish herbs, greasy. Alcohol super integrated, rather soft and not too intense, well balanced, fat and oily, light smoke but not too dominant.
      medium length, greasy, smoke, herbs, surprisingly little alcohol noticeable for 51.9%, following slight oak on the palate

10. Drk Neknul scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

EYE / NOSE
    From the original announcement of the Regensburger I have a passage especially remembered, because she was somehow pulled in front of the bracket:
    'The dark peat whisky speaks for itself and is clearly recognizable in its character for the connoisseur (...) you smell it, you know it!'
    Okay, so visually dark I do not feel it visually compared to some 'Dark Sherry', although it is of course anything but a pale malt. I spontaneously make notes of 'black tea'. And the nose? In the Glencairn, the malt shows, which I first allowed to breathe for a long time for the tasting, in order to give the older portions the opportunity to unfold, at first still quite closed, which surprises me. Parallel to the Glencairn I filled the Volxwhisy into the bigger Schott Zwiesel Bar Special, where the nose looks much fuller and more expressive. I continue tasting primarily with Zwiesel and would also recommend using a similar sized or ideally even larger glass here. The Volxwhisky thanks it with fuller flavors. From the glass now at the beginning like sweet smoky notes. Spicy. molasses-malty sweetness, salty spray, as one sometimes perceives on the beach after storms. Spanned! Very multi-layered profile, sure exactly the desired effect of multi-barrel use for ripening.

PALATE
    The Malt looks quite strong in view of the remaining 51.9% ABV, without, however, suspected of slipping into the Sprittige. I note a slight tickling on the edges of the tongue. The structure on the palate appears very rich, even oily. Quite a lot of sweetness, even restrained acid as a counterpoint, the TBA influences are also recognizable here, and I confused without the knowledge that TBA was in the game, 'Speyside ??' would have noted. Smoke and again a lot of spicy notes, without the individual herbs would stand out for my taste buds, a herbal tea comes to mind. In general, there are various tea aromas. I perceive fruit notes subliminally at best, perhaps some currant and pickled clementines. An old bourbon fruit salad is the Volxwhisky by nature certainly not. A little water helps the fruits.
    Tasty, no question. And yet, on the palate, I actually have the feeling that aromatically could do more with a little time and rest here. I am very curious, what brings the further tasting in 3-4 weeks to light.

FINISH / CONCLUSION
    Pleasantly long finish, for me so far the showpiece of the Malts. The now omnipresent but by no means dominant smoke paves the way and pleases the oral cavity. Herbale spice - probably the long basic maturity, TBA sweetness, and vain sherry influences wrestle for last word. Last but not least, it leaves a warm, slightly dry feeling, as if one had just enjoyed a little pipe with spicy Latakia tobacco. Strong finish!
    The alcohol is incorporated perfectly clean, but this does not change the fact that a few drops of water get the Volxwhisky excellent. In parallel tasting, I personally prefer him with a splash of water, which I do not often have - simply because the profile gains in fruitiness and thus seems even more complex. It may be interesting to see if this perception may change as well.
    Finally, on the Gretchen question, this time of every religion. Is the distillery really clearly recognizable? Intended for one of the Malt Maniacs! Some others, however, are likely to brood, I in any case. I have recently - blindly - been tasting whisky friends with an exquisite (smoky) 1975 BenRiach 40yo, Cask # 7028, which I would have thought quite accurate for an old Bowmore due to its deep fruity notes. Blind tastings are fun, but also provide ample room for error. In particular, when different types of barrel and especially, as here, sweet wine is at the start, it will be difficult.
    Talisker, Caol Ila, Laphi, Laga, Ardbeg ... I think there is hardly a traditional distillery that has traditionally operated on peat and was not mentioned in the speculations. Let's make it short, if I put Islay as a region due to the intense smokiness after a long maturity times, I would most likely tap on a Sherry Ardbeg or Sherry Laga as a base. Despite the possible Phenolgate hint, which could be interpreted as a nod to Laphi, I miss the medical, the Hansaplast component so to speak. For Caol Ila missing the usual impressions completely. The deep sweet chimney smoke, the pleasant mineral undertone and the remaining power, that's classic South Coast for me. Ardbeg or Laga. I commit myself in November. To a direct comparison with older bottlings of the two distilleries, I do not get around so easily.