90.47/100
Regensburger Whisky- & Weinclub (RW&W)
Private Club Bottling No. 13
12.10.2019
Oloroso-Sherry, PX, Riesling-TBA
Strength
03 Oct 2019 10:58 pm by MFHaberl
UncoloredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for VOLXWHISKY The English Patient

37 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.47 points

1. MarcoWe65 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

It is friday morning and a perfect time to start in the weekend.
    So lets see what this years bottling brings to us.
    Thanks Rick for sharing your bottle. I'm happy to get every year a sample from friends from germany.
    Normally you don't open a bottle so quickly after bottling, so lets see if it is drinkable :-)

The smoke is immeditaly present, but not too heavy. Oaky,spicy,old sherried style.
    Reminds me on older ''A'' bottlings from the 70's.
    On the palate it is a well balanced sherry malt with spicy and old peaches notes. Not too dry but also a complete different style than the new Sherrycask generation.
    I don't need water for this one. The abv is pretty well chosen.
    I can feel more the dryer Oloroso Cask than the PX, which I like more. Too sweet wouldn't be my taste.So all good for now.
    I have to compare this dram to the older ''Crois Chill Daltain'' bottlings. I think I remember a similarity between these bottles.
    It paints more and more the picture of Ardi or Laga in my head.
    The Chill daltains had more sherry influence and this one is more complex. If I would guess, this one is older and has a much cleaner islay character.
    The finish is mid to long. Nothing what disturbs me for now.
    Spicy and old school sherry style. From plums,peaches,coffee,chocolate and tropical fruits.
    Surprisingly fruity but still different from many islays like Caol Ilas, Bunnas or Laddies.

I will give this one another try tomorrow or maybe on sunday and will add some notes.
    For me this years bottling is better like the last years Seagull because it is much cleaner and not overloaded with extreme sherry(even if the Seagull is an old bowmore, but there was not much left of the old bowmore style).
    And that is what I love, when I can taste the charakter and decade.
    I would guess that the sherry casks used here were good old second fill european oak from the 60's or70's.
    I don't know if they have such a good connection to get a old cask like this from ''A'' or ''L'', but if you ask me I would immediatly say it is one of them. Don't expect a modern peated style. It is something different.You have to go back in history to taste some older bottlings.

That is my first impression.
    Well done

2. Paulsenheimer scored this whisky 100 points Member Junior

Auge: We have to talk about the label first. Some say that enjoyment is never apolitical. The "political touch" may not please everyone, but the whisky is in the tradition of the already discussed "Russian snap" and may be enjoyed with a pinch of sarcasm. The label is wonderfully trashy. The color reminds me of a mahogany paneled room. Quiet, yes dignified, the whisky rolls through my snifter. The legs take their time, do not hurry. Deceleration. Then they come slowly, but extremely fine and nuanced. Salivation begins.

Nose: A complex and extremely compact aroma front strikes me. There will be a lot to unpack. First impression is cocoa, Nesquik cocoa powder to be exact. Then smoked bacon. Light mineral in the background. Multivitamin sweet. Honey. Forest floor. A parfait of tonka bean. Roasted rind. Malagaeis. Although the whisky is not biting, I add a few drops of water. The result is breathtaking! The whisky is suddenly fruity. Notes from a basket full of stone fruit. Oats. Creme brulee. Then a very brilliant mandarin. Chestnuts. Musk. And certainly you could discover many more nuances. The complexity of this whisky is insane.

Mouth: Pleasant and very aromatic. The feel is to kneel down. Oily and fine. One does not like to swallow. The alcohol is just an echo, which tingles something on the tongue to say "hello" for a moment. Really elegantly integrated. The taste is initially dry. Leather. Cold smoke. Malt. Then the whisky gets sweeter. A dark sweetie. Very pleasant. Much sweeter with water. Suddenly a clear ash aroma stands out. Strong. Ripe and round on the palate. Pure elegance.

Heart: Spicy on the palate when swallowing. Direct malagasy in the nose. Ether. Iodine. Leaves a deep but subtle sweetness in the mouth, especially on the tongue. Absurd long reverberation. Cocoa, cold smoke and ashes form the final chord, because you want to take another sip.

Conclusion: Go straight into my top 3 single malts of all time. That's a league in itself. It does not matter which distillery it comes from. A whisky to sit down and lose in it. More than a drink. More than a stimulant. That's perfection.

3. short0r scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior

First Notes for "The English Patient"
    This is certainly a complex Islay malt. This has been bottled just a few days ago, so it still needs to settle to show its full potential, a bit shy at first but rewarding if you give it time
    It shouldn't be a problem to identify distillery on islay, if you have some islay standard bottling, have them side by side.
    I'll come back to this in time to add and refine notes / score

Dear flippers: grow wise, drink and enjoy
      Burned Christmas stollen/apfelstrudel, eucalyptus, sweet iodine, roasted plums and a cold dry breeze of ashsmoke.
      After 30min: herbal, herbal cough drop, and a cheese note
    • Taste
      Sweet and dry smoke. Glaced nuts, pistachios. No nip, no alcohol burn, well rounded, marzipan potatos,
      More sweet smoke and a pinch tymne
      herbal, spicy and dry smocked

[December, 2019] I just was offered a small sample of this incredibly hyped stuff - thanks for that! Because there are so many other long reviews and detailed tasting notes I skip that. Instead just a couple of impressions from my side:

This is a fine and quaffable whisky without flaws but it is neither very old nor very complex and it is certainly not produced in any of the traditional South Coast Islay Distilleries (according to my taste buds). Given both the aromas profile of the nose and the flavours profile of the taste I guess this is a Port Charlotte which has been re-racked to several casks over time (what they did regularly at Bruichladdich during the experimental "Jim McEwan" phase)...

...but please, dear fellow whisky aficionados: Stop starting these stupid "hypes" everytime a somewhat better bottling hits the market. This is so inane (and there are more excellent drams out there than you can imagine)!

5. dewo scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

First to the bottle.
    The 13th Club Bottling of the Regensburg Whisky & Wine Club Slowdrink.
    "The english patient", we as Scotch and Malt drinkers / connoisseurs, we don't really know what is happening to the island state and whether / not what the whisky prices do. , , ,
    And John Bercow is enthroned on top of everything on the cork and looks uncertainly to the "bottom right".
    You don't have to look at everything as seriously as you read it, especially when the bottle says "very basic single malt of low quality".
    It is not a simple malt and certainly not of low quality.
    Who has the honor to hold this bottle in his hand, respect, did everything right.
    It is rumored that the distillate was further refined with even older bottles of the still and then went through the barrel maturation in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, a PX Barrique and a Riesling-TBA barrel.
    A long throw at whisky.
    But I am very excited to see how it will change in 3-4 months. The drop, like all of Great Britain, is still in "turmoil" after bottling two weeks ago.
      The nose in an Islay whisky is very distinctive.
      The smoke note is there immediately and dominant for the time being, but that's where the barrels come through and that's exciting. Slightly malty sweetness and grapey fruit notes mix slightly peppery sherry notes into an excellent composition.
      But also the light salty pinch from the south coast is present in the nose.
      Slightly iodine and liquorice notes come through and I have sweet dry fruits like dates and plums in my nose.
      Elegant power, venerable and exciting. Great round and "clean".
      From the nose it is an old, long matured malt.
      I really let it drip in the glass of air for 20 minutes and sniffed myself.
    • Taste
      The second sip makes the palate really smoky with a very light sizzling on the tongue.
      Then the PX sherry barrel wins, quickly gets dry and only slightly promotes the flow of saliva.
      Now more than ever you think you have an old sherry barrel bulkhead in your glass.
      The smoky, the drier peppery sherry notes, as well as the very light berry wood flavor with a slight sweetness, very light, I taste a "salty peanut chocolate".
      I also imagine light tobacco that comes safely from the barrel, from whatever.
      Not playful, straight out and with age, these are the words on my tongue.
      The finish is really awesome.
      Long after swallowing, the smoke is still slightly there, but is replaced by dry herb notes and speculative notes. The iodine is still there and slowly disappears accompanied by a vanilla sweetness.

6. kanpai79 scored this whisky 93 points Specialist

And again such an incredibly complex (and yet much more difficult to classify, as my beloved Seagull) ArdLagPhroaig from the Regensburg witches kitchen .... thank you P. for the repeated nose-tongue throat confused ... love it ... geiler shice like that Berlin hipster likes to say. With water, completely different whisky. I'll give the smoky brother a few more months to relax and calm down .... and solidify my opinion that the potential candidate trio will become a duo. Clear case of (very positively meant) WTPhroaig?! .. :-)

7. RollOff scored this whisky 94 points Member Senior

Colour:
    Dark tea / chestnut, slightly cloudy.

Nose:
    The first nose drives me directly a smile in the face. A very set, elegant, spicy whisky streams out of the glass. The maritime-salty smoke holds back discreetly and is very well interwoven with the sherry aromas. The sweetish aromas immediately remind me of the Christmas dice, marzipan and plums, raisins in rum, violets (lilane sweets).
    A whopping, but not unusual oak note is there throughout. The alcohol is perfectly integrated and hardly noticeable. From time to time, a slightly sour note comes out and disappears in the next second.
    It's fun, you could smell it forever.

Taste:
    Wonderfully spicy it explodes in the mouth. First comes a load of salt and lighter, greasy smoke. Immediately thereafter, musty, old oak broads in the interplay with sweet and sour dark fruits. The alcohol strength is perfect, it should not have more or less%. Overall, everything fits together perfectly, you want to keep the drop as long as possible in the mouth.

Finish:
    Salty, conclusive, a little musty. Very dry. Somewhat later, something (pipe) tobacco and smoke come out again.

Comment:
    A gorgeous, set and complex Malt! You have to take your time, there is a lot to discover. The light smoke, the sherry influences, the salt and the old oak play together perfectly. I do not want to commit myself to a distillery, I leave that to the professionals. But there is a tendency.
    Great work, Pit!

8. Othorion scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Elegant, warm apple pies, iodine, fruit bread, orange oil, tangerines, burnt marshmallows, lots of cocoa, plums, smoked bacon, rum raisins, almonds, honey, a touch of rosemary and tamarind. Again and again come new impressions without an aroma dominates! Great!
    • Taste
      Very oily, sweet, dark fruity, chimney smoke, leather, honey, bread dough, roasted almonds, bacon, a little salt, then again sweetness, no alcohol to feel, old bookcase
      Infinitely long, warming, spicy, with smoke, light sweetness, cocoa and roasted nuts, getting dry

9. Kalleholzbein scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Overall, a very successful whisky. Class interplay between sherry, sweet herbs and maritime notes. For 175 € for me definitely a purchase, even if everything was already out of print in the pre-order and bottles are therefore only to have on the secondary market. The question still remains what distillery it is ... It is "A" in the room, but could also be an "L" for me! But since I'm not the biggest Islay specialist, I abstain from a definite opinion :)
      Class interplay between sherry & peat. Intense and great nose, nice Islay style with sweet herbs and maritime notes, greasy.
    • Taste
      very pleasantly soft and cool in the mouth. Sparkling, sweetish herbs, greasy. Alcohol super integrated, rather soft and not too intense, well balanced, fat and oily, light smoke but not too dominant.
      medium length, greasy, smoke, herbs, surprisingly little alcohol noticeable for 51.9%, following slight oak on the palate

10. mothers_finest did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

What a splitter!
    Unlimited enthusiasm for whisky base and high points from some members that I really appreciate. However, there are also many extreme reviews of unknown green shirts, but well, that should have some purpose ...

Be that as it may, the whisky was the top-rated WB Dram 2019 - that's objectively remarkable.

So a whisky that you seem to love or hate, or how do I explain the 68 points of Whiskyfun?

He does polarize in any case! And when I look at the secondary market prices here, it also bears fruit.

This is not a 'hate post' - I want to explicitly note this! There were enough meaningless entries for the whisky here. I just wanted to point out that tastes can be very far apart; even among experts. Or are we talking about a return carriage because of the sarcastic Brexit label?

The answer can only be found in the glass! Slainte!