Benromach 2009

5020613073821
14 Sep 2019 2:10 pm by Tijmen
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Benromach 2009

26 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.70 points

1. JNuyts scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

2. Malthead19 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

- an extremely intense strong malt
    - a lot of oak and spice
    - not easy to drink, takes time and water!
    - good quality but definitely see the taste of the 10 year 100 ° proof more pleasant and better
      oW: very intense, strong, sweetish, honey, caramel, but the alcoholic strength is still clearly noticeable

mW: wood / oak, malty, slightly sweet, caramel, subtle sherry, tobacco
    • Taste
      oW: very strong and intense, oak, vanilla, alcohol still very noticeable (a bit uncomfortable)

mW: in spite of water still very intense strong character, a lot of oak, a lot of volume, but very little of the sherry aromas
      medium-long, strong, slightly burning finish; very long, dry, astringent aftertaste, extremely spicy and woody aromas

3. schengel10 scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Young (9-10 years old), impetuous, a little wild and already complex - matured in first fill ex bourbon and first fill sherry barrels - a great, very good whisky at a very fair price!
    [Color] amber
      Caramel, sweetness, sherry, dry smoke, smoked (Black Forest) ham, tobacco, spicy oak;
    • Taste
      with water: powerful / voluminous in the beginning, lots of sherry, oranges, grapes, sweetness, dry woody smoke, pepper, spice, a bit wild and yet also complex;
      good medium-long finish; Caramel and sweet sherry linger a long time;

4. Igitor scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

5. rpvdwel scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

6. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Where I think the standard Benromach 10yo is one of the best (and stable) Bang for your bucks out there, I had a rather disappointing first experience with their CS batches at potstill Amersfoort 2018. In my opinion the peated influence was simply to big for my taste. But since I think highly of most Benromach’s bottlings I wanted to give their CS range another shot so I ordered a sample.
      Speaking about an arrival. This is heavy stuff. This has a very smokey profile. initially the peat dominates. After it eases down a bit I get a very meaty character in the sense of smoked seasoned beef. Besides that I get dried apricote, smoked raisins and smoked paprika powder.
    • Taste
      It has dry hints of burnt pepper. Smoked paprika powder comes back to me as well. Also I get grilled meat from a barbecue and then specifically the part you call ‘bark’ in the world of bbq (The crystallized sugars from the dry rubs and glace, combined with the smoked meat).

I am seriously doubting if I love this one or if I don’t. Somehow it got to me but at the same time I’m not convinced. I guess that says enough. It’s a good dram, it’s definitely tasteful, the quality is very high. I just don’t think it is completely my cup of tea. When taking the price difference with the regular 10yo in consideration, I would definitely go for the regular 10yo. That one has a better balance, complexity and is more multidimensional. This one is to much driven on smoke which I find a pitty since the Benromach character has a lot more to offer.

7. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

• Taste
      Medium length. I would have thought it to be long since it has a strong peated and sherried profile but I find this surprisingly shorter then expected. Smoked paprika powder, smoked meat and burnt wood dominate the finish. The finish is not very complex, it’s a ‘what you see is what you get’ kind of experience. It ends a little to dry.

8. OlivierSegers scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

9. Hvdree scored this whisky 80 points Connoisseur

10. irreducible scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

This Benromach Cask Strength deserves all the compliments. One of my fastest consumed whiskies after opening the bottle, almost finished in less than 2 weeks.

When I first tasted it, I felt like I was drinking the classic Benromach 10 yo with a little bit more matured in sherry casks and bottled at cask stregth.

Sherry and red fruits combined with peat smoke, a good dry palate, long finish; this guy is really good and satisfying for a 10 yo whisky with a pricetag around €60.