Benromach 2009

5020613073821
14 Sep 2019 2:10 pm by Tijmen
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Benromach 2009

23 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.76 points

1. Igitor scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

2. rpvdwel scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

3. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Where I think the standard Benromach 10yo is one of the best (and stable) Bang for your bucks out there, I had a rather disappointing first experience with their CS batches at potstill Amersfoort 2018. In my opinion the peated influence was simply to big for my taste. But since I think highly of most Benromach’s bottlings I wanted to give their CS range another shot so I ordered a sample.
      Speaking about an arrival. This is heavy stuff. This has a very smokey profile. initially the peat dominates. After it eases down a bit I get a very meaty character in the sense of smoked seasoned beef. Besides that I get dried apricote, smoked raisins and smoked paprika powder.
    • Taste
      It has dry hints of burnt pepper. Smoked paprika powder comes back to me as well. Also I get grilled meat from a barbecue and then specifically the part you call ‘bark’ in the world of bbq (The crystallized sugars from the dry rubs and glace, combined with the smoked meat).

I am seriously doubting if I love this one or if I don’t. Somehow it got to me but at the same time I’m not convinced. I guess that says enough. It’s a good dram, it’s definitely tasteful, the quality is very high. I just don’t think it is completely my cup of tea. When taking the price difference with the regular 10yo in consideration, I would definitely go for the regular 10yo. That one has a better balance, complexity and is more multidimensional. This one is to much driven on smoke which I find a pitty since the Benromach character has a lot more to offer.

4. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

• Taste
      Medium length. I would have thought it to be long since it has a strong peated and sherried profile but I find this surprisingly shorter then expected. Smoked paprika powder, smoked meat and burnt wood dominate the finish. The finish is not very complex, it’s a ‘what you see is what you get’ kind of experience. It ends a little to dry.

5. OlivierSegers scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

6. Hvdree scored this whisky 80 points Connoisseur

7. irreducible scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

This Benromach Cask Strength deserves all the compliments. One of my fastest consumed whiskies after opening the bottle, almost finished in less than 2 weeks.

When I first tasted it, I felt like I was drinking the classic Benromach 10 yo with a little bit more matured in sherry casks and bottled at cask stregth.

Sherry and red fruits combined with peat smoke, a good dry palate, long finish; this guy is really good and satisfying for a 10 yo whisky with a pricetag around €60.

8. maurisso scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

87.99

9. Xaver did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I personally think Benromach is really great. In a direct comparison, I would prefer Batch 1 from 2009. Hit my nerve a little more. Both are really great.
      Colour:
      Orange gold

Nose:
      The first thing that comes towards me is a dry smoke note. In addition juniper and rancid fatiness. Dried lime and dusty sherry aromas. Some hay and malt in the background. I'll let it stand… with a little time in the glass, leather, rancid oil and a bit of asphalt steam will come. I mean to smell a pineapple behind it. With rosemary and a trace of chlorine.
    • Taste
      Peppery, smoky appearance. Beef jerky and the asphalt steam again. A smoky sweetness peels out. Gravy and juniper again. Dried herbs. There's something inside that tastes of rose hips. The alcohol is at the start. But it only pushes the aromas considerably and does not stand out excessively. Goes easily without water. You also get a nice massage on the chewing bar. Vanilla follows and brings a dry honey note. A hay taste spreads in the mouth.
      Very long and dry smoky. An oily sweetness also swims along. Matching bitterness and especially marzipan.

10. KayMeertens scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Seems more than a year younger than the 2008 edition. Thinner than that one, not as sticky. It's definitely a good one though.
      Cherry, barley, gingerbread, peat, minerals, smoked ham, caramel and a whiff of tobacco. An oakiness which appears a bit like virgin oak.
    • Taste
      Peppery, oaky. Peat, cranberry, apple, blackberry and malt. It can't handle water very well, the profile is too thin for that.
      Peat, cranberry, gingerbread, caramel, salami and curry.