- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- American Oak and finish in three Sherry Casks
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 30 Jul 2019 10:50 pm by Thomasmul
9 × in wishlist
48 × member ratings
192 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.16 points
- Where do you find a good entry level malt for €20? Look no further: this Tamnavulin punches above its weight. Pleasantly surprised - good to see that a perfectly decent malt can be had for a very good price. Others should take note.
Tamnavulin’s only official release – a NAS malt typically priced at around £32 in the UK, yet only €23 in Germany. Du glückspilz!
N: Tropical/detergent-y fruitiness becoming huskier with oily barley juice later on.
T: Light yet sharp/edgy and slightly anaemic to begin with. But wait! Soon we’ve creamy marzipan, white chocolate and [more] husky now sweet barley syrup.
F: That sweetness on the turn becomes more crystallised and confectionery towards the tail. Concludes with a funny sweet metallic/industrial creaminess.
C: Not too shabby. It’s easy to imagine the combination of price & curiosity will shift stocks. Hard to draw useful comparisons with the all-together-different Ben Bracken, aside from the 28yo shines brighter.
- A cheap sherry whisky with 84 points rating in WB (as of 02/27/2020)? Unfortunately, it is not this one. However, there is a drinkable whisky with a noticeable sherry influence for around 23 €.
Slight sweetness paired with subtle sherry tones.
There is also a hint of vanilla and a slight nuttiness.
Milk chocolate, tannins with hints of fruit. Unfortunately he comes across a bit watery. Alcohol could also be better integrated.
Somewhat better again: medium-long finish with notes of dark chocolate and nuts.
- Bats well above it's price point. Great nose but initially a little disappointing on the palet. However, put it over ice or with a little chilled water and the sherry noted come to life. If you can pick it up for below £25 then definitely give it a go.