- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Fino Finish
- Number of bottles
- 55.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- 1925080 L5 xx:xx 19044
- Added on
- 23 Jul 2019 12:21 pm by Bosi
30 × in wishlist
57 × member ratings
126 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Deanston 2006
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.07 points
- Wonderful fino-rich nose, with plenty of nutty sherry mingling alongside the more cereal-based notes from the Deanston spirit. This really isn’t too far from the awesome fino cask Arran release (distillery only bottling) from a couple of years ago. Water brought out even more of the rich fino notes. Great stuff and the kind of nose you could comfortably spend all evening with without getting bored. Remarkably similar profile on the palate, with sweet, fruity notes alongside nutty and creamy honey. A hint of peppery heat builds on the tongue, leading to a long and lingering nutty finish. This is simply a great example of fino cask maturation and is a great match for the Deanston spirit. At the price (£65), this represents one of the best value:quality bottles I’ve bought in a long while. Well done Deanston!
- The classic Deanston DNA is not lost here with the Fino finish. Think the 12 year old but with added punch of ABV along with a dry, nutty, musty Fino sherry touch.
A bright, dry start to the nose. Some sour grape must, Morello cherries, fresh pineapples and lemon peel. Big on the nuttiness here, crushed hazelnuts and almonds. A slight green malt and vegetal herbal note follows. Oak spices leave a ginger prickle and some cinnamon. The signature honey and pear notes comes through very well though, the sherry influence is in no way overpowering the character of the malt.
Thick and mouth coating. Sweet, sour and bitter on the palate. Some light honey and vanilla along with more sour grapes. That classic Deanston maltiness with some barley water. Darker sultana notes as well along with a touch of bitter lemon pith. More nuttiness on the palate as well, more roasted almonds now. Warm black pepper spice coat the tongue. Rather drying in a good way. A touch of water turns down the pepper heat and brings out more sweetness.
Medium in length and quite drying with a tannic quality. Malt and more cracked black pepper spice continues with again more light sherry and nutty influence at the end with some bittersweet dark chocolate.
Grape must, marzipan and grape jam, caramel, wild grape flowers. Small hint of oak. Some oolong tea. Opens up to figs, dark chocolate, tobacco with water.
walnuts, almonds and maraschino cherries. Cocoa and old leather arm chair. Tobacco and tea, nuts and vanilla with water.
Cocoa and leather, old cigar box, finish. Long and fading. Drying after water added
Green fruits, fresh.
Vanilla, oaky sweetness, dry
Vanilla and oaky
- My rating might look very low, but this is all personal taste. I just seem not to like Fino cask.
- This is pretty much "best practice" when it comes to cask finishes. The two years in ex-fino casks make this seem mature beyond its stated age. The dry, herbaceous notes of the fino sherry complement the sweet and heavy Deanston character beautifully. Keeps shifting and evolving with time and/or water. Really good stuff.
A somewhat idiosyncratic, but highly original and coherent nose. Vegetal, herbal, creamy, spicy-dry, with an intriguing salinity. Potato crisps, parsley, bell pepper, and sour cream. Underneath there's the typical charcoal and machine oil of the Deanston spirit along with its signature sweetness. Way deeper and more complex than its twelve years would have you believe. There is a slight alcohol bite on the nose, especially if left undiluted, but that's pretty much the only criticism I can muster.
Thick, luscious mouthfeel. Fresh and juicy before turning nutty and spicy. Performs more like a 15-16-year-old whisky than a 12 y.o., with lots of depth and substance. Hits all the notes: Sweet, sour, spicy.
Zesty, spicy, with a pinch of pepper and a splash of lime juice.
Sweet, fresh, grainy, cereals, floral notes, dried fruits (oranges, apricots)
Sweet, spicy (pepper), milk chocolate, raisins, fruity (oranges), honey
Medium long, sultanas, spicy, cherries, caramel