85.40/100
Bourbon Hogshead
Strength
09 Jul 2019 9:26 pm by Cask1988

Whisky Reviews for Glen Scotia 1992 CA

14 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.40 points

[August, 2019] Two friends had this whisky last night and they were not only disappointed but described a taste buds corruption effect - so I am cautious and have this dram last tonight...

...oh no! I certainly have to drink a heavy Rum or sweet Calvados after this Glen Scotia simply to get rid of its disgusting taste. Honestly, I think it is a crime against the taste buds to bottle such flawed stuff and it should be forbidden to sell it without a warning on the label! This is full of flaws and weird off-notes that I do not like - and I can hardly imagine that others might like it (but looking at others' rates some do, obviously). By the way, I checked the cork stopper of this freshly opened bottle (bought at a Cadenhead shop) and there is no cork defect - so it is indeed the spirit which is flawed...

PS: Looking at all the other positive reviews here at WB it can well be that my bottle was flawed, maybe there was something in the empty bottle before filling the spirit in (dead bugs killed by pesticides)? Very strange, my friend and I had not the slightest impression of fruits but very disgusting chemical-rotten notes. So if you ever experience such a difference between your personal tasting and the reviews on WB simply return the bottle to the shop and ask for an exchange (or refund) - a reputable shop will do so...
      The colour is old gold and the nose is not that bad at the first sniff. But after some breathing a lot of strange off-notes pop-up like wet hessian, sour vinegar, slightly cheesy aromas, brackish water, cabbage soup, cucumber water and more. I do not like anyone of these. Hey, where is the "poached pear" and "marzipan" they describe in the official tasting notes? And I reject the terms "sooty" and "new leather" too, what the hell had they in their glass when doing these tasting notes...
    • Taste
      Again, the first sip is not really bad and I liked it, actually. But after some chewing a strange artifical plastic-alike impression coats my mouth that turns more and more cardboardy and corky over time. I know this taste very well, unfortunately. It comes along with a taste buds "killing" effect that somehow tranquilises them so all other drams after this taste dull and flat. If you own a bottle try this out with a whisky you know very well and taste it before and after this Glen Scotia - it is an astounding effect (but not in a positive way).
      The dram arrives warming and a little coating on the palate with a minor astringent feeling. The finish is long and extends the unpleasant cardboardy-plastic note into eternity, unfortunately. Booah, this is disgusting and now I understand the reaction of my friends last night. After three tiny sips I flushed the remaining dram down the toilet... Where is the "rescue rum" I stock for such emergencies? By the way, the official tasting notes are hopefully meant as a joke - because otherwise this is cheating the customers!

2. ARDBERG scored this whisky 73 points Connoisseur

2 cl sample from a freshly opened bottle

I was hoping for a lot and this was way too much.

I really like Glen Scotia but this is not one of them, though it
    had all the right details and a very good colour from a bourbon cask.

Smeels corky, tastes corky, Was it the bottle cork? Does not smell so. My tongue overwhelmed by cork. It is not even just wet hessian. This kills all the potential fruity flavour for me. A lot of mint in the aftertaste and spiciness and wood but over powered by the cork. Maybe that's dirty sooty, I dunno, not mine. FWP finish.

PS: two whiskies later, the off notes remain on the palate. I should rate this below 80, but I have a generous day and I love the distillery.

PPS: about nine months later I revisit this dram with another sample - no dice again: "corpse, dead rat and monkey's arse" that Gaija quoted seems to sum it up utterly well. There is nothing old school about my dram in the gass, it's just old and rotten.

So who has one of the good bottles?

Can't keep the score @ 80.

3. theograph scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

Funny how different the conclusion of this Campbeltown old school malt is here!

Find my full review here:

4. Gaija did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

@hs305 : at least I can assure you that this is not a single-bottle problem because a good friend of mine, when he tasted it during the official Outturn Release at Cadenhead's place, hated it and described it with "corpse, dead rat and monkey's arse" on the nose. Check this if interested http://theoldmanofhuy.blogspot.com/2019/07/25072019-august-outturn-at-cadenheads.html

So it's very weird because it seems that multiple bottles are flawed and multiple bottles aren't.

5. WSP scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Since I really appreciate the tasting notes from hs 305, I really wanted to know if Cadenhead was bottling a flawed whisky and opened a freshly bought bottle. This is fine and without any false notes. During the tasting over the last 3 decades, I have repeatedly experienced clean smelling corks with corky bottle contents and vice versa, especially with wine.
      complex nose, soot, pear compote, leather.
    • Taste
      sweet, banana, exotic, also here a bit sooty.
      good length, with a dry finish

6. Allandale scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Lovely , complex.
      Oily and sooty. Some poached pear notes along with marzipan and new leather.
    • Taste
      Sweet and fruity with a dirty sooty side. Wet ash with mango and lychee with a dollop of cream thrown in for good measure.
      Long, olive oil and wet ash with effervescent fruity outbursts.
      Take your time with this one its worth it.

7. Collegiate scored this whisky 82 points Expert Junior

A weird one. This is one I will keep around to show people that older doesn’t always equal better. Now that said, when I drink this one it puts me very much into a time and place. Drinking it reminds me of a musty antiques shop I’d go into as a kid (a place I’m pretty sure in retrospect had some bad issues with mildew). Think soggy cardboard boxes. Definitely a try before you buy.

8. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

An independent Glen Scotia. Isn’t that less common these days since the distillery began raising the exposure of its own single malt? As far as I can see, this is the oldest bottling of Scotia that Cadenhead’s has bottled thus far, and only 150 bottles came from the cask. This one has been designated for Cadenhead’s ‘Authentic Collection’. Aren’t all their bottlings authentic?

N: Aside from a familiar toasted-sweet barley note that’s almost caramelized, this smells even older [much older] than it already is, yet there’s no iota of woodiness about it. A touch of soot>peat? with maybe: earth/light-meaty/stones/dust/soil [delete as appropriate], into dense jams, marmalade, hints of rum/clairins that bring a subtle fermented pong, mildly sweet syrups, quince – like a really old Auchentoshan blended with the oldest Hazelburn there yet isn’t,…. Hell-fire, that’s one unique nose!
    T: More minerality [very Nevis], a touch more soot,… then more of that toasted barley, with little sweetness from the nose. It stays mineral-centric with some strangeness underlying,…
    F: ,.. that I struggle to describe. Let’s offer a mineral-y/stone, gin-like, savoury-sour copper coin finish. A bourbon hogshead is credited but isn’t there something else going on? Or maybe it’s just a very metallic-y new make that’s still making waves after 27 years in a refill cask?

C: A remarkably singular example of an old balanced malt brought by time, with the sum of the parts making for an unlikely but viable marriage. Let’s not forget some good marks for the nose. With thanks to tOMoH.

9. The_Independent scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Herbal, spicy, moldy wood and a little sweet. The smoke is largely broken down, only weakly noticeable in the taste. Otherwise, the old age is not recognizable.
    Quite unusual, but not really convincing.

10. Martin1965 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Smoke, cooked fruit, pear
    • Taste
      Fruity, light smoke, boiled fruits
      Medium length and slightly smoky, acidity and musty notes predominate

Rather disappointing for this age