- Single Malt
- Gordon & MacPhail (GM)
- Bottling serie
- Connoisseurs Choice - Cask Strength
- Stated Age
- 25 years old
- Refill American Hogshead
- Batch 19/079
- Number of bottles
- 54.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 03 Jul 2019 10:58 am by Tijmen
48 × in wishlist
36 × member ratings
83 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Clynelish 1993 GM
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.18 points
- Great whisky ! Very aromatic and (yes) spicy notes (lovely). 77points are incomprehensible at all in my opinion!
- Excellent bottling, mature, complex and rich. Oak is quite vivid here but it’s quite soft and well-integrated. Easy going on the full strengths, this whisky, however, tastes better diluted to 43-45%. Quite hard to find but definitely worth hunting.
Sweet, waxy, a lot of fresh juicy fruits (yellow plums and apples, white grapes), a touch of vanilla, citrus zest, honey notes, some minerality, a bit of sour oak. Water amplifies honey and fruits, also releases some floral notes (chamomile)
Slightly sweet, spicy (white and rose peppers), oily and slightly mineral, fruit soda, beeswax, dried apples, oatmeal with apple bites, lemon peel marmalade, quite strong oak
Medium-long, getting dry quickly, somewhat herbal, leathery notes, fruit jam, dry tobacco and gentle slightly bitter oak
- Nose: Very hot, burnt lemons, caramels, later the Clynelishy citrus and waxy oranges arrive. Mandarin skins, sackcloth, dry barley pepper. Water doesn't help the nose too much. Plenty of citrus and some light stone minerals but not too complex and very hot.
Taste: Oak, oak, oak , oak. Spices, nutmeg, varnishes etc. A lot of water to take the heat down and then the waxy lemons arrive. Finish is hot, did I mention hot? Chillis and curry powder and eventually some pleasant sourdough and yeasty notes but a severe lack of balance here.
77pts from us which is 'above average' but not 'good'. There are superior modern Clynelishs from 1995/96 in our experience. For reference I tasted this blind with 2 other Clynelish, 1974 RMC (89) and 1996 'Art of Whisky' (82).
- very nice, typical Clynelish for me.
- Guike, wtf? 2 points!?