80.50/100
American Oak
Strength
28 Jun 2019 8:30 am by AdamsB

Whisky Reviews for James E. Pepper 1776 Straight Rye Whiskey

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.50 points

1. berkman Berkmann did not rate this whisky Expert Junior

NOSE:
    First I found the nose very interesting ... because it is full of furniture and freshly sawn wood in the hardware store ... I love these smells ...
    There is also a spice note. But I totally miss a certain degree of sweetness ... still a nose that captivates me.

MOUTH:
    ... and then the first sip ... BAD! ... I have a dill note in my mouth, which for me is not just a note, but does not make me taste anything else.
    Now I have to say I HATE DILL !!!

The dill in the mouth is completely in the nose after the first sip ...- it doesn't go out anymore ... combines with the, previously great for me, wood note and gradually destroys it completely.
    This made my first sip the last one ... and I was glad that my dealer of confidence was so surprised or fascinated by my description of what I had just experienced in the shop that he wanted to try it and the key-dram was gone afterwards ... (- he also had the dill by the way)

DECAY:
    ... I can't say anything because I had to rinse with water immediately.

CONCLUSION:
    If you don't have a problem with dill, it may be worth trying and exploring it ... but for me (unfortunately, after the nose was really perceived as fascinating) it doesn't work at all.

Since I think that my personal dill hatred played a big part in this ... I do not give a countable rating ... because that would tear down the overall value quite a bit and would not be really representative, because it is extremely subjective influenced.