88.44/100
Strength
28 Jun 2019 7:16 am by maltaholic
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky Reviews for Glenrothes 2005 DL

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.44 points

1. aspa scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

yes, he already has some sulfur, I have to agree with Frank. But not too much for me, just right. Upper limit? Yes, yes, but I still find it delicious.
    Otherwise a lot of dark pickled fruits, chocolate, some tobacco, coffee beans, cinnamon in the nose. This sweetness of "liquid cake", which I often find at sherry Glenrothes, can only be felt here hidden. The alk is super integrated, the nose certainly smells older than 14 years. I also think the complexity is great for a 14 year old.
    Exactly the same in the mouth. The sulfur can be felt here too, but for me it fits well. Creamy, tasty, tasty. A great sherry bomb, if not as dark as others :-)
    the finish is medium long with bitter chocolate, some gunpowder, and yet somehow still sweet.

N-89, T-89, F-89 - I really like the bottling and get really good 89 points

2. FrankH scored this whisky 80 points Member Senior

For me, this Glenrothes from the Cask DL13132 is a sulfur bomb, I have never seen anything like it. I did the tasting with undiluted and diluted whisky. Furthermore, I left the filled nosing jars open for at least an hour. But neither the long time of breathing nor the addition of water could drive the sulfur away. It is incomprehensible to me that something like this is brought onto the market. Are there whisky connoisseurs who like such sulfur bombs? Or didn't they smell the sulfur? I have only come to Scotch Single Malts since 2014 and have not had much experience with tasting notes, but I do recognize sulfur. If after the nosing I hide the sulfur from my thoughts and concentrate on the taste, then I can feel the Sherry Cask. But that doesn't pull it out. In the price range from € 70 (offer) to € 80 for the 500ml bottle, this Glenrothes is clearly too expensive. No purchase recommendation.

If this Glenrothes in the Old Particular series was bottled in April 2019, why is it not coming to German shops until June 2020?
      Sulfur, sulfur, rotten eggs, bad
    • Taste
      if you cover your nose, the taste just goes. Now for the first time I taste something sherry-like
      medium length, dark fruits, sulfur again