- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Sherry Casks
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Importador e distribuidor exclusivo em Portugal Sileno-Soc
- Added on
- 06 Jun 2019 9:14 pm by RobbievdB
0 × in wishlist
4 × member ratings
one in collection
Whisky Reviews for The Singleton of Auchroisk 1978
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.50 points
- It’s always fun to have a dram of an old whisky. This Auchroisk proves to have been preserved quite well through the long years of waiting in the bottle. Obviously not a in your face whisky but a solid performance. It’s gives oranges, dried apricots, caramel, some ground coffee later on and some nice wood spices.
- Same share as Erik1908 and Cask1988.
Indeed old style whisky. Would be sold for a shitload of money nowadays. Although we didnt pay more then €35!
A good sherry nose, not like the hypercasks nowadays but a decent sherry nose. There is vanilla and caramel in the background. Little OBE on the nose (metallic hints) and there is a touch of freshness here too.
Quite a decent dram! Little sweet and sour, little sherry and quite some vanilla and citrus.
Medium-long length. Very sweet and sour, little hint of citrus and some cardboard (OBE?). Not much of the sehrry notes here. Fades away with caramel and fudge notes.
- Well, if this is like Cask 1988 describes here, whisky of the good old days, then let the good old days please return. This simple NAS Auchroisk is a very pleasant surprise.
Got a 100ml from a bottle share with my friends here. One of them found this bottle on a forgotten shelf in a shop in Portugal at a fair "ancient" price. Something we all sometimes dream about.
Full body sherry nose, but not like the A'Bunadh. More subtle. Dusty for sure indeed.
Surprisingly full body for a NAS whisky at 43%. Not something you would quickly buy nowadays. No NAS at 43% for me; but as mentioned, this is different. There is indeed hints of citrus in here.
Again a surprisingly long finish.
The Kinks once sang: where have all the good times gone. Let them please return quickly!
- Old style whisky! They don’t make it like this anymore..
Unity is the right word for this. Nose taste and finish are perfectly aligned together.
I wouldn’t recommend adding water to it. It loses it’s tasteful character even with a few drops.
Immediately that typical dusty/musty nose I recognize in a lot of old style malts. I just love that! There is mild citrus fruits, apricote and sawdust. There is also some kind of milky creaminess. When giving it a little time in the glass Arabic spices and vanilla will appear.
Sweet and sour. On the palate it continues to feel and taste like older style malt. It is very refined. There is a decent amount of licorice involved and also mild citrus fruits and that hint of apricote. Friendly and oily mouthfeel. After a while it stars to get a little peppery, nice touch.
Sweet and sour finish. Medium-long length. Strong and tastefull. There is a slight bitterness of dried wood and again Arabic spices.