85.14/100
Strength
50 ml 700 ml
03 Jun 2019 11:24 am by holborndrinker

Whisky Reviews for Glenrothes 2006 TWBa

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.14 points

1. UnmarkedDoor scored this whisky 80 points Member Senior

Over the course of this bottle, I've changed the way I feel about it several times.

As my first Glenrothes, I was initially, very impressed. At the time I was given it, I was coming off a peat binge that had left me a bit... burnt out, let's say, so it was a refreshing and welcome change. It was definitely enthusiastically received.

It wasn't until I was happily halfway in, that somebody else mentioned the price and I took more of a critical perspective. That perspective being: it's nice but uncomplicated and the nose makes promises that the rest of the experience only partially delivers on.

If I like a bottle, I basically stop drinking it (well, slow down drastically and find something else, anyway) at the last 3rd/quarter, which is stupid, but an ingrained tradition at this point.

So, this review is me re-revisiting the bottle with just a little left rattling around at the bottom.

Aaand I've changed my stance again.

This analogy has just come to be me and I'm working it out as I'm writing, so bear with me and hopefully it’ll make some kind of sense.

This whisky is like a party that gets you really hyped up before the actual date and then, when the event actually arrives, it's actually just a really chill extended-evening, with a bunch of familiar faces in the laid-back crowd and some solid bands you've seen before.

Which is fine and an undeniably nice experience, it just cost quite a lot to get tickets.
      Thick Luxurious fumes of boozy butterscotch and golden syrup morph into a Rum-Raisin/Christmas pudding with brandy cream hybrid via way of stroopwafel. Accompanied by minor and not unpleasant funk.
    • Taste
      Simple but Satisfying caramel and rum-raisin party continues with the addition of genial and complimenting warmness. Medium mouthfeel.
      Nuts, malted tea biscuits and something less akin sustained alcohol heat – but more like the slowly fading coziness of a wood fire going out.

2. adriank scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

Chocolate sponge, vanilla, caramel, strong toffee. Now it becomes sticky toffee pudding. A hint of arabica coffee, oak, raisin, rum notes emerge. Rum soaked raisins.

A tiny bit of water reveals: slight fruitiness, (apple) smoke, oak, nutmeg, cocoa.
    • Taste
      A bit one dimensional, caramel prevails first, with bit of raisin, electrifying but balanced alcohol burn.
      Sweaty piece of cloth, damp earth.
      (Funny that it comes on the palate, while others sense this on the nose.)

Water doesn't help.
      Actually rounded spirit.
      Medium to long finish, surprisingly long for the age stated. Maltiness, pastry, crunchy breadcrumbs. I like the finish.

3. Dominic did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Putty, turpentine, green pinecones, nougatines, sugar wafer.
    • Taste
      Chocolate, after eight, nuts, bread, creamy, roasted candy sugar.
      medium long