- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Feis Ile 2019
- Stated Age
- 22 years old
- Sherry-treated American Oak Casks
- Number of bottles
- 58.4 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- Feis Ile 2019
- Added on
- 26 May 2019 1:28 am by maltaholic
86 × in wishlist
88 × member ratings
339 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 22-year-old
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.70 points
- Issue Price: £ 130 (€ 147)
- I can't remember having had a Caol Ila of this age with such incredible complexity. Endlessly pleasing.
Soft minerals with a subtle sherry influence, mature wood smoke, and cured meat. Hints of seaweed, a whiff of strawberry, some smoked paprika, a bit of burlap. Slightly minty and herbal, but also enough room for plums. Annoyingly complex.
Incredibly elegant, even at this high strength. A sweet and rich fruitiness, and pleasantly oily. Hints of smoked bacon, maple syrup and wood smoke, but also leather, tar and iodine, and salted to perfection. Just a tad of cracked black peppercorns.
Lingering spices, yet subtle.
- 92pt by Angus on Whiskyfun .
- Initial tasting of this reveals a real lack of distillate balance with the sherry casking. The sherry has quite a bit of sulphur. Gunpowder and candy sugared sweetness. This lacks the grace of other bottlings. Its good but its not very good and its certainly not great. We will revisit when the bottle has a bit of air in there and the sulphur has relaxed a bit.
- Nose : ripe strawberries, cured meat, herbal and enticing. Soft smoke, seaweed, soft and light sherry sweetness, wood and more ripe berries engulfed in smoke, limestone, Kashmiri chilly, old wood and hint of iodine.
Palate: nice entry with spicy peppery notes, glazed bacon strips, sweet sherry, and more iodine, even some tar, we’re taking Islay after all. Very refined and layered with a touch of cinnamon, and also salt. The sweet, and salty interplay is very nice indeed. The sweet smoke is always there too.
Finish : long with the sweet smoky bacon strips, sweet peppermint, pepper.
Conclusion: One of the better OB Caol Ila I’ve had in recent years. This is a highly enjoyable and complex dram showcasing how good older CI’s can be. The sherry seasoned casks add a lovely sweet layer to the peaty, medicinal Caol Ila DNA. Highly drinkable, and highly enjoyable, although it needs time… Well done. Expect to see those pop on many online sites for twice as much as the original price, very soon.