- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Wood Finish Series
- Stated Age
- 18 years old
- Gaja Barolo Wine Casks Finish
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 18 Jan 2010 4:54 pm
35 × in wishlist
54 × member ratings
95 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for BenRiach 18-year-old Gaja Barolo
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.33 points
- Now this one is no longer on sale, and I think this is one of the only BR’s from recent years I have yet to try (tried most of the finishes , here). so it was a nice opportunity to finally try it.
Nose: Earthy. Sweet sugar and molasses. Spicy : cloves and cinnamon, on top and also some sweet dough.
Palate: Sugary and sweet with some apples and dough , not very winy but showing some tannins. Also quite earthy, which was surprising.
Finish: Wood, sugar and some bitterness.
- an elegant whisky
the finish does not kill the malt
I find it particularly exciting that the fruits in the nose are rather slightly immature and sour, while they are then really sweet in the mouth
Definitely different from the usual sherry whisky, yummy, tasty ... good to high average I would say
still slightly sour red fruits
Currant, cherry and plum
fruity and sweet
Grapes and the red fruits
Finally, sweeties and oak again
- Really good whisky, but it´s not as well balanced as the other Benriach wood-finished whiskys are. I think the problem here is the Barolo redwine cask. The smooth wine flavours simply can´t compete with the rich and spicy oak. Therefor the whisky becomes kinda bitter and dry.
Orange peel, peach marmalade, a wine barrel featuring a warm aroma of spices (cinnamon), lightly chocolate and a pinch of any zu. (88 b)
Warmly spicy, cinnamon-like, sweetish, in the flavor, it goes from a sweeter to a dry sherry-like style. (87 b)
- Matured in bourbon casks for a period of 15 years and then be poured in Barolo red barrels where the distillate another 3 years may ripen. The barrels come from the Gaja family known for their superior quality wines.
Benriach 18 Year Gaja Barolo is a limited edition which is the first batch of only 3,600 produced, so very exclusive!
Blissful aromas of plums, sultanas, orange caramel and take the lead to be followed by hints of vanilla and corn. Very tasty combination.
A spicy taste of pepper opens but is quickly followed by the flavors of the aromas and accompanied by dark red fruit and a hint of coconut and brown sugar.
Moderately long and dry finish that is very lively taste, dominated by pepper with hints of oak.
- Single dram note (Dramfest NZ 2012)
This had a few unusual, interesting & pleasant notes right away. Got a feeling this will fall apart quickly though if left to breathe or in an half open bottle.
oranges, pipe tobacco, slight yeast. (86)
bubblegum, malt, vanilla dough, mint (87)
very sweet, canned oranges, leather, slight wood, (88)