87.89/100
1st Fill Sherry Butt
Strength
08 May 2019 12:37 pm by holborndrinker

Whisky Reviews for Deanston 2008 SV

17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.89 points

1. peatbogger scored this whisky 93 points Specialist

After recently visiting Deanston and having been really pleased with what I tasted lately I was tempted by this.
    Being a sucker to try anything extreme the ABV of 67,6%, as far as I can find the highest ever in the Signatory CS series, I was convinced I had to have a bottle.
    Holding this level of ABV after 11years and with an almost mahogany color it must have been a unique cask.
    I am sure many will think I over rate this bottle purely on account of the extreme. Rest assured I rate it by how much I enjoy it, and that's what we're supposed to do.
      Pretty straight forward sherry cask nose.
      Fair amount of wood, but a very gentle and pleasant kind, not that usual fresh raw sherry monster wood, it's more refind, rather posh.
      Raisins, chocolate and caramel.
      Strawberry flavoured bubble gum?
      The high alc strength is not disturbing, but I feel it might be masking any finer nuances.
      Then again, it's only 11 years old and have hardly been breathing, there might not be much more.
      I added quite a bit of water but it doesn't seem to be changing much at first. It needs time as the alc is slowly receiding from the glas.
      I might still be dazzled by the neat approach, but I'm getting cream brulee with strawberries and a mint leaf on top.
      The nose is about the only part I find more enjoyable with water.
    • Taste
      Feels like diving in at the cask strenght deep end before a first neat sip.
      It's spicy alright, but manageable if you're prepaired for it.
      Almost oily arrival, but as it's rolled around and the spice is building up it gets more and more dry.
      Yet fabulously tasty, actually damn good.
      Sweet, dark chocolate, moist fruitcake, cinnamon and ginger. This is a spice and flavour party.
      One advice; you can safely wait a while before inhaling, and then slowly.
      Water brings everything down to a more pallateble level.
      Still very tasty, but I feel that the "action and excitement" somehow diminishes.
      The spice is watered out, the close to extreme warmth is cooled down, the change from oily to mouth puckering dry is gone.
      I don't feel that water adds anything apart from being more "accessible" bringing it down to an average good sherry whisky.
      I think this is something I will enjoy neat, one dram at a time when I need a jump start.
      Neat the warmth can compete in lenght with sucking on a freshly lit Zippo pocket warmer. The taste is also sticking around for an extended amount of time, and as the alc evaporates from the inside of your cheeks a lot of the sweet flavours reemerges.
      With water it still has a long and very tasty finish.
      If this had been watered down to 46-50% before bottling I would still have been very pleased.
      But having tried it at full trottle I know I would miss the crazy tail wagging of this top fuel dragster making a burn out in my mouth.
      If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen ;-)

2. karloff scored this whisky 92 points Specialist

This was a sample courtesy of peatbogger.
    I too am a big fan of Deanston. They should be up there with the big boys, but we don't want that. We like them just under the radar, almost cult status. Knocking out great whisky at a great price.
      The nose even neat at this level is very nice. I was expecting nose hairs to be singed, not in this case.
      The usual suspects you get from a sherry cask.
      Next is Summer fruit pudding, almost bourbon notes, strawberries jam and cream.
      A new book smell, especially when it has been laminated.
      Sarsapirella boiled sweet and glazed cherries.
    • Taste
      This is one of those that when you sip it neat you have to hold it for a while and then exhale those fumes, let the genie out of the bottle shall we say before your wishes are granted. And if your first wish is for a nice creamy texture, you got it. Second wish, succulent red fruits, you got it. Third wish hot and spicy, you got it.
      I've had some whiskies with a much lower alc vol than this and the burn has been horrific. This has a burn but it is a very nice burn full of flavour.
      The finish is long, it literally sticks around and even when the whisky has long gone and you just swollow normally, you can still taste those lovely sherry notes long into the night. Awesome.

3. LeChiffre scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

An intense-powerful Deanston, the alcohol strength is pure but clearly too high. Compensates for a lot of water, but then for me there is a lack of complexity. Nevertheless, a total of a delicious malt, if quite direct and a bit one-dimensional.
      Purely alcoholic, after a good shot of water:
      distinct sherry note; sweet and spicy; ripe dark fruits; raspberries; raisins; Chocolate; Caramel; in the background oak notes; overall sharp and sherry-stressed in the nose - water opens it towards a beautiful fruitiness
    • Taste
      powerful and sharp in the mouth - water softens it a bit; oily; fruity sweetness; dark fruits; raisins; figs; spices
      sparkling spicy; peppery; fruity; subtle herbal notes; Oak

4. FlamingSpeedy scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

Very pale. I would have expected more
    • Taste
      Caramel, coffee, cocoa unfortunately too much alcohol. Even if I never take water, two drops open this treasure
      It burns, burns, burns with light espresso notes

5. Palindrome scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

A desert dram but not as complex as I'd hoped for, even though I admit that I'm biased somewhat. Deanston is not one of my "go to" distilleries. I've even visited and wasn't impressed with the samples offered. The staff were terrific, however. This young whisky is pretty good for ten years of age, but it's not a "peater" and so youth is not so becoming. Hence my score. In this style, I like my casks at least half again older. Deanston is on its way to offer membership in a "union" (which will be like Springbank's Society and Ardbeg's Committee). This will allow people to get first dibs on bottles like this one. I think that I will save my money and refrain from buying any more bottles. One is enough.

If the Distillery starts releasing "union" single casks over eighteen years of age, then I might start paying attention. As for the ten year offering under discussion here, it's a velvet hammer coated in sweets. Not bad if that's the sort of spirit-driven thing you're into. Bang away. . . .

6. KayMeertens scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

A score is just a score, so to find out how good it really is I lined it up with three of its like-minded cousins which I regard very highly: A Glenburgie 2007 at 65% (94652), a Glenrothes 2007 at 66.6 (46802) and a Tamdhu 2006 at 64.3% (72070). It's definitely in the same style and league as the Glenburgie. The Glenrothes is a great powerful bomb but more one-dimensional in comparison. It definitely beats the Tamdhu, which seems a bit artificial next to it. So all in all 88 seems appropriate.
      Hazelnut paste, caramel and cranberry. Rather restrained, I don't understand the 90+ scores initially. It needs water for the nose to unravel. The sherry blanket completely moves aside for peach, apple and even banana.
    • Taste
      Now I understand. This is very fudgy and nutty. Praliné even. But also fruity: Fresh fig, and berries obviously. A tad of spice like nutmeg too, but not in the sulphuric kind of way that some Deanstons have.
      Caramel, fresh fig, goji berry, brownies and nutmeg.

7. fradin11 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

8. Dre73 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

This is clearly a whisky with two faces: The first 10-15 minutes, the alcohol is overwhelming, particularly in the body and finish.
    But then the storm slows down, and suddenly all flavours get their chance to flourish. I decided to rate this whisky for the second face, consider this a Grain whisky: Just leave it for some while and then: Enjoy...
      Very fruity, red fruits, a lot of prunes, raisins, ripe apples. A lot of alcohol, but not as pungent as man would expect with this Abv. Later on more chocolate.
    • Taste
      At first: Very very intense. Too intense, I say. The mouth is complety drawn dry, this is way too heavy. I really like this powerful and pungent whiskies, but this one's over the top, it demolishes all specific flavours.
      But... put the glass away for 10-15 minutes, and give it a second try. And suddenly the storm has gone, intense it still is, but in a good way. Enough room for other flavours now, fruity, prunes, red fruits. A lot of chocolate comes in as well.
      At first, the finish is like the body: the mouth is completely in shock, almost paralysed. Too hefty.
      But again, after some rest, thing get much, much better. The red fruits are back, so is the chocolate. The finish is long, with a lot of wood as well, ice cream sticks.

9. Rien scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

10. fdlarry scored this whisky 89 points Member Junior

lovely. Verry tasting. Oily.