Mortlach 16-year-old

L9016DM001
02 May 2019 2:28 pm by hs305
Colored

Whisky Reviews for Mortlach 16-year-old

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.79 points

[May, 2019] I liked the first batch of this "Distiller's Dram" very much (WB id 117290) and scored it 89 points but I wondered if later batches can keep such a high quality...

...and this batch can not, unfortunately. Like so often the first batch was the best (see Lagavulin 8-years old or Kilkerran 12-years old to name two others) because they carefully selected the best casks to establish a good reputation on the market. Later they (have to?) use what is left or they simply do not care as much about cask selection - that is why I always buy a small stock of the first batch if I really like a dram...
      The colour is russetmuscat again (what else, thanks to the caramel added) and the nose offers the modern sherry profile of the first batch - but with significant bitter-drying wooden aromas this time which drive the profile out of balance, unfortunately. This is average quality, at best...
    • Taste
      The taste is better on this fine mix of sherry and malty flavours - but after some chewing the wood is back on the scene and turns the whole set bitter-drying (again out of balance). But good news: No sulphur to detect, compliment for this achievement to whoever selected the casks! Water reduces the bitter flavours somewhat and I like this dram best when reduced to about 35% abv (but it is not whisky any longer, according to Scottish law).
      The initial mouthfeel still is creamy but much lesser coating than the first batch and with an unpleasant bitter-astringent touch (tannins at work). The finish is way shorter (medium length) than the first batch and stays on the bitter-drying woody side without adding new impressions.

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

This is quite pleasant, with decent flavour and no rough edges but it is almost too manufactured for me.
    An engineered flavour if you will, but better than I was expecting.
    The old Mortlach 16 year F&F in comparison was gritty, more sherry and almost dirty, hence why O prefer it over this one.

3. GWMingus scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

4. ovanpuyvelde scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Sadly, I must fully confirm the recent conclusions made by reviewer hs305. I tried this whisky at a good friend’s house and I was blown away by its high quality. I adored the stuff, finally a distillery that released a surprisingly good new OB range. Could this be true? Time to stock up? Ruben’s raving review @whiskynotes.be (he rated it 89 points) got me even more excited. After reading the reviews by hs305, I sadly found out as well that I probably had raved about bottle WB id 117290. The bottle that I eventually bought has another bottle code and has NONE of the magic that the other bottle code had. It’s no less than 6 points difference in quality! Nose and finish of this batch are hugely disappointing, only the palate is somewhat convincing. Reality check: Distilleries are still cheating us bigtime by releasing inferior batches soon after the very promising initial release. It left me very, very disappointed in today’s whisky market. I applaud user hs305 for sharing these very honest, valuable head-to-head tasting reviews with us. They really make a difference! From now on, I will have to be very cautious when buying a standard OB expression from any distillery... I just noticed that a local online shop is doing a promotional price on this Mortlach 16y OB now and guess what? It’s this inferior batch.