88.67/100
02.2019
Strength
25 Apr 2019 7:37 am by Cap-buy

Whisky Reviews for Vega 1985 NSS

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.67 points

1. Oogadal scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

Ok. So now the ridiculously hard to find Vega 1985 went on sale ‘online exclusive’ and UK only. Hmm. I already had a few (pure luck) and I received the NSS email and as I find this a really great whisky I didn’t think twice and grabbed another 3. I do want to review this dram as I find it absolutely stunning compared to the retail price (£105) You do need to give this some time in your glass and it benefits from the warmth of your hand. Nose: bam, popcorn! Say what? Yep, popcorn, the 2nd whisky ever I had that has got popcorn in it (the other one a Glentauchers bottled by Bruhler Whiskyhaus). This one is much older and also way better. It is rather sweet, but not too much. And, although ‘only’ around 46% it does have punch! Nose has very dark and almost overripe fruits, blackberries, vigs, that kinda stuff. This is just pre Tschernobyl stuff, but it gives the feeling of 70 ties great whisky’s, if I would tasted blind I would hang a early 1970-73 tag on it. Taste; great, you get exactly what you would expect from nosing. And there is that ‘old skool’ taste that is so hard to describe, it’s that endless seeming depth that makes sure you’re never bored by this. Finish: long, warm and again very entertaining, no off notes
    Note: I’m not rating this whisky 91 points to bump the rating and the price, my bottles are NOT for sale! EDIT; I did receive a question regarding this whisky has a ‘too much sulphur’ stamp in it’s DNA. I must say I do like some sulphate in a whisky and I find this one is definitely not overpowered by sulphate. If you can appreciate > 20 yo Glendronach single cask bombs you will love this! Even more considering this is not even half the Glendronach price.....

2. dRambo scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

pleasantly sulphurous nose - reminiscent of a Rothes - very tasty retro Refillsherrystyle
    • Taste