Balvenie 14-year-old

L6D 6421 0703
23 Apr 2019 2:33 pm by Schmausel
Non-chillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Balvenie 14-year-old

16 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.54 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Caolvenie

Last year The Balvenie launched the series ‘The Balvenie Stories’, consisting of three bottles: the 12 years old The Sweet Toast of American Oak, the 14 years old The Week of Peat and the 26 years old A Day of Dark Barley. I will try the 14 years old peaty one that has a price tag of 65 EUR. Balvenie distils only one week per year with peated barley, hence the name of the release.

Cut a just ripe banana in slices, squeeze a juicy lemon over it, crumble some hazelnuts, throw in a vanilla stick and a spoonful of acacia honey and wrap all this is a jacket of peat and shake it in a sack of hessian cloth et voilà: that’s the nose of this Balvenie. Could just as well be a young Caol Ila, which is my way of saying that I really like it.

It is nicely creamy and immediately softly smoky with Brussels waffle, vanilla, nuts, citrus peel and even a salty edge. Stock fish! This is very good (and yes, it reminds me again of my favourite Ileach, so what?).

The finish is wonderfully long on black pepper, citrus and smoke, with a sweet bubble gummy note at the death.

Aficionados of Balvenie might find this a weird malt – because it’s quite atypical, of course – but those who love a peaty dram will like this one a lot, I think.

2. Rosebank88 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Really very complex and slightly peaty. In addition, oak, forest honey, slightly floral accents, needle litter, grilled pears, dark caramelized apples, cinnamon and Black Forest cake.
      With water: nutty dried fruit, soft smoke, chocolate, fir honey, redcurrants and wet stones.
    • Taste
      Aromatic after tender peat smoke, burnt leaves, oak, flowery hay, caramelized apples and warm earth.
      With water: very balanced. Peat, malt, fir honey, burned nuts, oak and sackcloth.
      Long, aromatic, tender smoldering peat smoke and Big Red chewing gum.

3. Dram Dracula scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Recently introduced. It's a quality dram, but I'd rather have the Sweet Toast 12 year instead, which is also being rolled out as we speak. I usually associate Balvenie with their softer, fruity style of whisky, and I am glad to have tasted this peated version, but if I am looking for a decently priced peated whisky, I'd rather drink the standard Lagavulin 16, which seemed a bit more cohesive for me.

4. lucero scored this whisky 78 points Expert Senior

5. Punktar scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Accidentally bought ...
    Already smoke when opening - only now read label. Anticipation arises. In a nutshell: If I always acted like this, I would only have good whisky in my cupboard. As an Ardbeg fan, I am thrilled because he has power and steam. I will immediately buy a second bottle.

6. AgentMunky scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

7.5 // 8.5

Smells like an Islay, despite apparently being Campbeltown-inspired. Very dry peat, moreish. Gods, I love peated Highlands.
      9 // 9
      Dry, savory, as rich and saliva-inducing as any Ardbeg. This is a pretty wild Balvenie.
      9 // 8

Marries two of my favorite flavors, The Balvenie and peated malt.

7. Thermidor scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

Balvenie Weak Peat: an entirely unnecessary addition to the product range.

8. Fight65 scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur