- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Succulent, scintillating, substantial
- Stated Age
- 21 years old
- 2nd Fill Pedro Ximénez Cask
- Number of bottles
- 57.2 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival 2019
- Added on
- 18 Apr 2019 6:46 pm by dramspotter
9 × in wishlist
61 × member ratings
89 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glenrothes 1997 SMWS 30.106
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.93 points
- Haha, it seems that something happened to Oloroso in 19, so I will save it with PX in two years, but is it useful?
A very orthodox one-time selection of wine, prunes, figs, cream sherry, dark rum, chocolate brownie, oyster sauce, orange peel, high sweetness, a little bit of decayed wood, in a flash of three years, I recalled the Glenrothes of Shinanoya Up.
Like the combination of Macallan and Seal, coffee grounds, 85% black chocolate, caramel, shavings, wood aroma, cinnamon, ginger, sour plum, bitter orange, it tastes without PX, and the extremely high acidity will The final rhyme and body are completely wasted.
Normal, low fat, sweet, high acid, tannins, astringent, bitter, no spicy.
Medium length, hand punch, medicinal aroma, raisins, roasted.
prunes, raisins, figs and sherry - classic sherry type of notes. citrus zest, some oakiness and honey. The conclusion is that its very sweet on the nose.
Additional notes 2020-05-16: Butter (in fryping pan), caramel, fruit, apricot, daim, burned.
kind of oily and waxy in the mouth - on the first taste its very dry and the intense sherry experience kicks in. The PX cask did its job well, alot of sherry, raisins and sweetness.
Some slight bitter oak in the background wich alot of sweet figs and vanilla wrapping it up. Very long lasting finish - it almost never ends.
- Issue Price in May 2019: £ 100.00
- Good nose, and great taste. Would have given it 90 points if it was not for the slight sulfer notes in the finish. Have to add that I have sulpher when almost nobody does, so I might be a little sensitive to that!
- SMWS tasting notes: On the nose neat bags of prunes, figs and raisins, like a rich dark fruit cake with finely grated lemon and orange zest, plenty of brandy and/or dark rum. The taste, undiluted, was big, substantial and chewy -
deeply caramelised burnt sugar toffee with chocolate
and toasted walnuts. When we added water the aroma of sweet succulent sultanas alternated with a slightly burnt spicy gingery note, whilst on the palate a fascinating/scintillating array of flavours like, cinnamon, vanilla and eucalyptus and in the never-ending finish chocolate covered Macadamia nuts. After nineteen years in an ex-Oloroso butt we transferred this whisky into a 2nd fill PX butt.