- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Secret Treasures (ST)
- Stated Age
- 37 years old
- Sherry Cask
- Number of bottles
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- Haromex Development GmbH
- Added on
- 10 Jan 2010 1:26 pm
23 × in wishlist
112 × member ratings
57 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Springbank 1970 ST
24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.83 points
- Springbank Head to Head 22 samples, some tasted before.
The line up in age order Nas -40 years old, some official bottles some independent bottles.
Contenders for the best Sprinbank as follows.
Pure West Highland Malt (NAS)+/- 1960 70 proof peated WB 72988
10 year Tappo Sughero black label big S 59% OB WB 41678
11 year Society bottling 57.9% OB WB 21853
12 year black label big S 80 proof OB dark sherry WB 75805
12 year green thistle gold cap 46% OB WB 14533
12 year 100 proof 57.1% sherry wood Samaroli WB 9260
21 year 2012 46% OB WB 30350
21 year 2018 46% OB WD 111815
23 year 1970 23 year Local Barley tall bottle 46% OB WB 11138
24 year 1966 sherry cask 443 Local Barley dumpy bottle 58.1% OB WB 14391
25 year pear shape bottle 43% OB WB 38084
25 year 2006 46% OB WB 656
29 year 1962 white label big S 46% WB 14430
29 year 1974 Chieftain’s Choice cask 1778 51.2% WB 27756
30 year Millennium bottle 1999 46% OB WB 11045
30 year parchment label dumpy 46% WB 11117
32 year 1966 bourbon cask 493 Local Barley dumpy bottle 56.8% OB WB 14414
35 year 1968 Berry Bros 46% WB 530
35 year Millennium bottle 1999 46% OB WB 11056
37 year 1970 Secret Treasures 43% WB 12967
37 year 1968 cask 1541 Dun Bheaghan Pedro Ximenez 56.5% WB 11864
40 year 1969 cask 263 Signatory Vintage 54.4% WB 15778
1st -30 year dumpy OB - 97/96/96
2nd 1968 Dun Bheaghan - 94/96/96
3rd 10 year 59% Tappo Sughero OB - 94/95/96
4th 12 year Samaroli 100 proof OB - 94/95/95
5th 1970 Local Barley tall bottle OB - 93/95/95
6th 32 year cask 493 Local Barley OB - 93/95/94
7th 1962 29 year OB - 96/93/94
8th 30 year Millenium OB - 94/94/94
9th 24 year cask 443 Local Barley OB - 94/93/94
10th 12 year black label OB - 92/94/93
11th Nas Springbank Pure West Highland - 91/93/93
12th 1999 11 year OB Society bottling - 90/94/93
13th 1974 Ian Macleod 51.2% - 90/94/92
14th 40 year 1969 cask 263 Signator - y 92/93/92
15th 35 year Millenium OB 95/92/92
16th 1967 Berry Bros 35 year - 91/91/91
17th 12 year OB green thistle gold cap - 90/91/91
18th 1970 ST 12967 88/91/92 -
19h 21 year OB 2012 - 91/91/90
20th 21 year OB 2018 - 88/92/90
21st year 2006 OB - 92/88/88
22nd year OB Pear shape - 80/87/87
- This seems stronger than 43%, pretty good for sure.
Smells spicy at first, with faint lemon zest, wafer, a little grapefruit and a cereal note
Peppery, faint peat but then a wave of cream followed by more peppery the cream and peat then join forces to be the dominant flavours. The palate is ever so thin but actually as you go on the flavour seems to increase
Apologies notes deleted by mistake
- Very attractive and complex nose, with orange eucalyptus, honey lemon and salted rosemary on the nose. Candied oranges build on the palate with plenty of wax and a hint of coal ash creeping into the finish.
- Very fruity, stone fruits yellow fruits exotic fruits, superbly balanced, delicious
- We tried this head to head with a few other 60s and 70s Springers and it was the clear loser. Not a bad whisky at all but just not as stellar as others
- A fully intense and balanced Springbank - which even with the weak 43% - perfectly transported the flavors. The 37 years old you notice immediately. I do not even notice the sherry. Initially, it could really be an ex-bourbon maturation for me. It seems so juicy full and the oranges and apricots are seductive. In the mouth then a true explosion of taste with plenty of milk chocolate, almonds, moist tobacco, some bitterness of the oak and again and again juice oranges. Truly deep, intense and perfectly tuned. The finish is long, very long and pleasantly warming with a pinch of orange jelly towards the end.
- An unusually fruity and therefore very special Springbank. I love it!
Yes! Juicy, fruity .... orange peel and a wonderful apricot. Crepe Suzette! Very balanced and above all very fruity for a Springbank.
The fruit is now joined by tobacco, chocolate and a bit of bitterness from the oak. Everything very round and balanced. Just perfect!
Long finish, round and gentle again.
- A very, very mild and fruity expression for a 37yo Springbank - very drinkable and highly enjoyable - excellent!
Honey, dried fruits, apricots, sticky sweetness, something malty - I all agree with the other comments made so far - very promising
Very oily, creamy, fruity, dried fruits again, apricots, oranges, passion fruits, mango and black pepper, subtle oak wood, nice sweetness - very good
Medium long, warm, smooth