87.30/100
Strength
31 Mar 2019 12:21 pm by RoyalScotsman
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky Reviews for Port Charlotte 2008 TCW

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.30 points

1. LaddieNerd scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Tasty and then here and there unusual! I like that!
      Smoked bacon paired with red berries. The smoke is bound in a wonderful sweetness that hints at the taste of plums and ripe blackberries. In addition a subtle wood note with sugar.
    • Taste
      Smoke explosion with a sweet character that I already had in my nose. Some wood and really sweetness combined with red berries. Unusually, I think, but really delicious.
      Smoke with the scent of black tire wear. I really have on the palate. The finish is long and the Margaux barrel stays in the mouth for a long time with its wood and soft bitterness. In the end, it even becomes slightly sugary, like dissolving sugar cubes or candy.

2. Whiskybilly scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Wine cask whisky is usually not my first choice. But with this whisky I was more than positively surprised what a wonderful scent from the glass got into my nose. Not only the nose convinced me completely, but also on the palate and finish.

Of course I used the opportunity in the meantime and tasted the whisky more than once.

My conclusion: This bottling always conjures a smile on my face. A great whisky does not have to be expensive!

3. davidloosli scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Sugary nose, sweet mint, smoke is looming in the background, melon, forrest honey, strawberries, raspberries, ripe orange
      with water: sweeter, more berries, fruit pie, lightly burned dough
    • Taste
      Peaty, bitter, earthy, oven smoke, grapefruit, bitter walnut, peach, apricot
      with water: mustier, earthier, bitter caramel, salty, a touch of vanilla
      Dry smoke, a bit furry, bitter nuts, some red berries (cranberries, redcurrant), licorice, bonfire
      with water: spicy mustard, bitter wood, licorice, sweet melon stays for long

4. ARDBERG scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

General note: Having tasted all six drams of The Cask Whisperers first release in a special tasting, I have to confess that this release has nothing special (other than disappointment) at all except for a bad price quality relation. Maybe I expected too much of Jim McEwan, who has one of the biggest legacy of modern whisky times. But to me he missed out on adding to it, rather I feel he substracted a lot. It starts with the packing, which looks like it was created by someone on the cheap, not worthy of the big man. The contents, for a first release, where I would bottle my best stuff, is dissapointing to say the least but fits the overall appearance of the release. What you see is what you get and taste for too much moolah based on a high priced swiss market. In this way it is a fitting realease but not on a high note, not at all.
    _____________________________________

After the Laddie wine cask again a promising nose with more stamina due to the PC malt and the first malt I find convincing (after the two Laddies). Though not very complex. It is the fist of a gentle giant - wine, peat, malted barley some fruits, spice and wood wood wood lingering on the tongue.

This dram would have deserved better packaging. I was expecting more from Jim McEwan here. The whole range looks cheap, at least the content outgrows this here. I know I am very nerdy in this respect but this is not in tune to my eyes, which also have taste buds.
    But then you could dress a goat in a black tuxedo and it is still a goat.;-)

2 cl at the TCW first release tasting