87.11/100
P/000247
28 Mar 2019 7:32 pm by Poppi
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Port Askaig 10-year-old

16 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.11 points

1. Palindrome scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

I'm getting more Caol Ila out of my glass than Lagavulin. In the past, at a friend's house, I tasted what reminded me more of Bunnahabhain in another (much older) release, which I didn't review on WB because the occasion didn't allow me to really ponder the malt to any degree. The Port Askaig label is curious to be sure. It's not consistent, but that's the point. I like the idea of aging a malt that was traditionally used in blends and has come into its own these days in interesting casks from other Islay distilleries. In fact, I'm surprised this type of thing hasn't been done more often. My bottle of Ardmore 20 used a similar strategy. In that case, I think the casks were probably from Laphroaig. These add some teeth to what would have been a more sedate whisky. The Lagavulin casks in the case of the Port Askaig anniversary are a nice touch for sure. They add more than one might think, although the main impression for me is that of Caol Ila, which, frankly, has never been one of my favorite Islays.

2. LukasJakubDrabek did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Ralfy review 791: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2eTWpWFSC8 (90/100).

"Frankly, it's Lagavulin meets Caol Ila."

3. mothers_finest scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

Quite soft smoke on the nose with a hint of citrus, oranges, a bit bitter like grapefruit.
    • Taste
      Measured by the alcohol, it is quite metallic in taste and one-dimensional. He presses neatly and warms the esophagus, but in the mouth no Geschmackstango opens. On the palate it continues the impression of the nose.
      Medium-length finish without big highlights. The malt seems very young to me. Not a must have for me. The price offers me the Corryvreckan certainly more.

4. lachaineduwhisky did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Tasted in the living room

Pretty sweet on the nose with lemon. Maritime atmosphere, aromatic herbs. Very fragrant with aftershave accents.
    In the mouth, broom, fat, on leather (Lagavulin trend)
    Finely corpulent, well spiced. Beautiful volume.

Enthusiasm 4/5

Whisky n ° 2036

5. Dyno scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

tasted from a 6cl sample, happy i tried the sample. In line with previous port askaig experiences,... not bad, but nothing special either...

6. DarrenHJA scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

7. alex..w..fan scored this whisky 80 points Connoisseur

20 20 20 20 80

8. Max70 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Very pleasant dram, the high abv is not aggressive. I've found it ever "sweet".
      Peat, quite light, hist vanilla and a bit of salt. Dried fruits.
    • Taste
      Sweet, the peat is present but not "heavy" like other Isalyers.... Candy and red fruits
      Wood an liquirice, medium to long, warms the mouth...

9. Gareth74 scored this whisky 92 points Expert Junior

10 glorious years in one little bottle.

My first Port Askaig - what a way to begin, I pity the bottle from them to follow this. It’s a £60 miracle and worth every penny. I’ve never really understood Port Askaig as a brand, it’s other people’s whisky in a bottle done up to look like a distillery brand, what’s the point of that, it’s always felt like a strange proposition. But here I am saying how bloody good this stuff is. It’s a funny old world.

So, this is the 10 year old anniversary bottling and as far as I can fathom it’s Caol Ila in 15% ex-solera Sherry butts, 25% first-fill ex-Bourbon barrels and 60% refill American oak hogsheads and rumour persists that we have have had Laphroig or Lagavulin in them to boot. I don’t know if this last bit is true but it’s like a marriage made in heaven.

On the nose this is a buttery thing, sweet, burnt sugar, pastries, a little Kendal mint cake, red over ripe apples, hot sawn wood, sweet lemon oils, a whiff of butterscotch. There’s smoke too, not overpowering, gentle and clean. Toasted coconut?! Ooh, this is lovely. Sherry and bourbon and sweet things and smoke.

In the mouth it’s safe to say I was expecting something more brutal at nearly 60%, but this is alarmingly drinkable, in fact stupendously drinkable for the abv. On a blind taste I’d have said no higher than 46/48% it’s so smooth and integrated.

On arrival the sweetness from the sherry and bourbon just fly in together like a sugar coated fist. And that is quickly followed with wonderful sweet peat, lemon oil, toffee, bananas, there’s wood but it’s not drying, it’s just a lovely woody note, just right. It finishes with toffee, ash, peat and bourbon wood.

It’s staggering how the finish is so warming and controlled. No alcohol burn, a beautiful wood note, peat fading out, whiffs of grapefruit and sweetness and ash and some tasty salted Zout licorice too. What a winner.

So, my first Port Askaig, it’s a great example of what smart people can do with good whisky and great barrels. I’ll be damned if we‘re ever finding out exactly what the ingredients were but it’s no worse for not knowing. Maybe it’s even better for it.

10. yuyuji scored this whisky 99 points Newbie