Glen Scotia 2003

Campbeltown Malts Festival 2019
25 Mar 2019 4:43 pm by holborndrinker
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Glen Scotia 2003

24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.18 points

1. wisekycourse scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

GS a room finish
      Frankincense and tenacious woody
      a little sea salt that comes out
      fruits on citrus fruits, lime in particular
      slight but slight trace of smoke
    • Taste
      the light peat, spices, smoke there well present!
      then quite important wood, dry but aromatic wood, I do not say that we smell rum, but the wood is vanilla, all integrated
      a slight iodine side appears at this moment
      lemon, smoke, woody vanilla in return
      average to long enough on the same aromas, it changes known islays, it's a nice surprise, it's delicate

2. Palindrome scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

The malt whisky here is limited in the usual Glen Scotia way, but it exceeds many OB's from this distillery. Lovely cask strength, nice rum casks. Now I'm starting to sound like Pippin or Merry minus the "nice crispy bacon" which this bottling does not have.

I love the oceanic side to what matured for 15 years, which is a nice length of time (for a Springbank, which this is not or is it?) Some dramtic similarities when compared with most Glen Scotia bottlings).

On the palate, there's welcome salt (from the water used?), caramel, a buttery croissant note, vanilla, and an old skool feeling/aesthetic.

So why did I debate giving it an 87 if not an 86? Well, there's something lacking but it's hard to put one's finger on.

A lack of complexity? Yes, that's it. Back in the old days (1990's) I could buy a bottle of Clynelish, Springbank, or Ardbeg that satisfied this place in my brain that is so hard to itch these days. A soothing malt. A carefree "forget about your troubles" whisky. Of course, back then the whiskies were, by and large, not cask strength, which I've now come to prefer.

So I will end my review by saying that this single malt is a working man's "go to" style beverage and there's nothing wrong with that . . . . but . . . I still think that I'm going to trade one of my two reserve bottles.

Maybe I will regret only having one reserve left. WB isn't always right with the group consensus. I do disagree from time to time.

I like to come across on this Website as though I'm "my own man" but the 87-ish rating for this rather festive bottling seems accurate based upon my gut reaction after my palate has cooled and my nasal passages are "all clear."

3. Bam scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

Very sweet, with beautiful exotic fruits, always noticeable, but restrained oak. The light smoke gives the whisky that special something, and gives a nice counterpoint, without smoke I would be too sweet, so everything looks nice and coherent. I like it.
      The smoke is clearly felt, looks very clean, towards red-hot coals, who also has a maritime touch. Add to that a strong, light sweet, powdered sugar and custard. Also a few exotic yellow fruits like banana, mango and pineapple with very sweet honey are there, and I have to think of the baked fruits of the Chinese. Something discreet oak resonates, as well as some malt and a few spices.
    • Taste
      Easy onset, silky mouthfeel. Immediately the sweet notes, banana and pineapple with custard. The smoke is now slightly stronger than in the nose, and is now slightly phenolic. The oak resonates, but holds back discreetly. Becomes slightly peppery.
      Medium. Very sweet, the pineapple and mangoes are here for a long time, the oak sounds nice too.

4. whiskygold scored this whisky 86 points Newbie

My opinion in German ;)

5. Drk Neknul scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

eye
    Radiant golden.

Nose / palate
    Aromatic already in the nose wonderfully ingratiating and altogether very successful. I already found the wild 2018 port. But the rum is at least as good. Quite different, much more pleasing and balanced than the brother from the port wine barrel. Very restrained smokes. Lemon, kumquats, fine sweetness, plenty of fresh vanilla and beautiful oak.

Finish / Conclusion
    Mid-length finish. Amazingly clean looking malt. Rumlager and Rumfinishes are currently experiencing a minor renaissance, and quite rightly so.

More notes and reviews on Facebook at #Maltkanzlei

6. Spencer5 scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

7. Mark-E scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

8. ffmdino did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

he needs time
    do not add water
    I did not notice much of the rum finish
    Not a malt for me because I expected more from the rum finish
      Smoke fades, sweetness becomes stronger, bananas, earthy
    • Taste
      soft and silky on the palate
      sweet, something weird could be rum, molasses ?, slightly herbs
      long