Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Tormore 1988 SV

15601 + 15602
Strength
22 Mar 2019 9:19 pm by yggr

Whisky Reviews for Tormore 1988 SV

12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 54.06 points

1. SchottenDicht scored this whisky 70 points Expert Senior

We tasted it at the Stammtisch for three of us and did not laugh so much for a long time. So he is really unique and interesting. Do you have to have a bottle for the price of it? No.
    Nose: Camembert, mushrooms, wood.
    Mouth: Green wood, more young blue cheese.
    Finish: The tongue takes on the consistency of the white camembert layer.
    Conclusion: My girlfriend broke up with me. I suppose it takes 30 years to make such a whisky and another 30 years to stop tasting it. Even a sherry bomb, which I desperately dumped, has fizzled out.
    I stay a mushroom forever.

2. EnjoyLife89 scored this whisky 1 points Member Senior

Paint, glue, rotten wood
    • Taste
      Modriges wood, gammelig, glue, paint, just terrible. It shakes me
      Just as catastrophic as the rest. 0 points, you can also drink Super +

3. Wiz scored this whisky 30 points Expert Junior

In the nose first musty rotten wood. Then dusty rotten wood. More does not come here.
    In the mouth .... musty dusty rotten wood. Moldy, infested with fungus. Then something lights up, which still reminds of a whisky ... some cereals, malt and a very weak fruit. Annanas maybe.
    Finish .... very long. I can not get that nasty musty rotten taste out of my mouth. Awful!!!!!
    Conclusion: I thought that must be a corkscrew. But I was assured that he tasted other people. If that was not a corkscrew, then it was definitely the worst whisky I ever had in the glass !!!! Should actually get minus points.

4. dRambo did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

I had no dram from the malt - but sounds like a cork error - because I have experienced similar taste impressions:

This means that other bottles of this Casks can be quite tasty.

5. Schmitti77 scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

A great malt, it's a pity that someone deliberately pulls down the malt with 7-8 accounts! An impudence people do something here. This malt got from me a very fair rating with 89%!

6. Nightgrap scored this whisky 30 points Expert Junior

Nose: adhesive and musty.
    Taste: Old and rotten wood.
    Finish: very long and totally disgusting. I could not drink any more whisky because my taste buds were blocked.

7. Najzero scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

Oh, I love how this bottle gets voted down... and I still like it.

Nose: I rarely have childhood memories I look back to smiling... but spending summers in Denmark in a beach house counts towards that.
    This whisky SMELLS exactly like this... wooden houses, that spend too much time in way to high humidity.
    Salty, wet, wood...

Taking a nose of this whisky always beams me back to those moments.

Mouth: well, who would have thought, it tastes the same. Alcohol is neatly "next" to that nose/aroma of wet wood.

Finish: very long, as I enjoyed the nose, I even enjoy the finish.

Conclusion: it is a very personal experience for me and I would not fear to buy a bottle of this insane stuff.

Does it have anything to offer "the real stuff" has to offer?
    well.. errr no, I think not. It wet wood/mushy lingering overshadows everything else.

Is it a bad whisky? for me... no. For my brother (sharing the same childhood memories)... no.

Does everyone need a bottle/sample of this? maybe not :-)
    I still think its funny, how the SV guys thought "this is a good idea to release upon the world". So here it is :-)

8. PPox scored this whisky 85 points Newbie

I'm going to use this one as my first rating on whiskybase. It's so interesting and funny to read the previous ratings because they're in accordance with my very first experience with this whisky when I was opening the bottle for the first time: Kind of moldy, wet wood in the nose and the taste basically the same, followed by this EXTREME long finish which I could not get rid of, even with a heavily peated whisky afterwards.

BUT - and that's a serious BUT - I would suggest that you're giving it a second chance. So did I and my opinion changed completely. It's super mild in the mouth for it's 47.2% abv. This intense moldy, wet wood turned into a very fruity note - very ripe apple and pear, stewed fruits, bit of apricot. There is also some milk chocolate. It still has a pretty long finish (but not as overwhelming as when the bottle was freshly opened) and here a very interesting flavor happens to develop: oven-fresh pretzel. ;-D

I've never had a 30 year old whisky before - so I would consider this one as a pretty complex whisky which needs some time to develop its full potential. Again: Give it a second chance!

9. The_Independent scored this whisky 48 points Member Senior

What can I say: I never want to have this whisky in my glass!
      Immediately cork, then musty, slightly moldy wood. For me, clear miss notes!

Only with time does it become more accessible: apple, marzipan, spice from the old wood. Slightly spicy alcohol.
    • Taste
      Sharp, tingling, quite thin. Over time, getting a little sweet, creamy and warming. Light vanilla, nut and again wet, meringled wood. Then he lets up.
      That's far too little for such an old bottling. On the other hand, maybe very well with the flavor profile.
      Long, far too long, the cork taste and the moldy wood in the mouth. This is slightly bitter. Disgusting!
      The other, sweet-fruity aromas can neither overshadow nor remain present for as long. As a result, the aftertaste is getting worse and worse.

10. schero scored this whisky 40 points Expert Senior

Ugh poodle! How can you bottlen?
      Pungent, freshly cut wood, resin, dark wood varnish, disgusting in any case, spruce
    • Taste
      Again woody and grainy, the paint touch remains, pungent citrus and penetrating alcohol, it is creamy
      The finish is even halfway, even if the notes of aroma and mouthfeel come back and then slowly spoil the whole thing again