- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Out of left field
- Stated Age
- 21 years old
- Ex-Bourbon/1st Fill Ex-Oloroso Hogshead
- Number of bottles
- 45.8 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 21 Mar 2019 5:31 pm by Tauti
7 × in wishlist
21 × member ratings
19 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 1996 SMWS 29.257
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.69 points
- For this 29.257, fruity perfumes, waxed lemons,smoke bomb,slightly medicinal,dry finish...converge on an astonishing balance. EXCELLENT!!! Check the history of SMWS from 29.1 to newest 29. 263, this is only 1 of 4 from the 1st Fill ex-Oloroso Hogshead (other 3 are 29.241, 29.258 and 29.259 which all get high scores in whiskybase...). When your access to it opens, don't let it pass...
- great nose and taste, even outstanding but the finish is simply too less. It drops literally ... Lovely but never a 90+ and I am a big Laphroaig fan and always overrate that's why 89 for me. :-)
- 29 is one of the favourite distilleries in my comfortable drink list. And this undoubtedly is one of the classic top one of 29.
- SMWS Tasting Notes: This one is really out of left field - unexpected and unusual - but we all gave it thumbs up - the nose has fruity perfumes riding a tame wave of clean smoke - tar on a raspberry bush, fruity hookahs, salted blackcurrant, crab claws with grapefruit, waxed lemons and melissa - oh, and hospital corridors. The palate is a sharp, citric smoke bomb - the usual soot, tar, ash and liquorice co-existing with astringent fruits - salty lemon, passion-fruit, crab apples and blackcurrant; something slightly mentholic and medicinal - and then a seriously dry finish of ginger, wasabi, leather, humbugs and coltsfoot rock. Single cask samples do not always conform to the template. After 19 years in an ex-bourbon hogshead we transferred this whisky to an Oloroso hogshead for the remainder of its maturation.
- Outstanding nose. Pillowy soft, really beautiful peat. My goodness what a nose. Palate and finish are tasty but a little weak and it loses steam. I don’t get much oloroso at all, which is a-ok with me. Can’t have it all I suppose. Still beautiful, but for the price? I don’t like the price.