86.03/100
Strength
10 Mar 2019 8:15 am by Cask1988
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky Reviews for Ben Nevis 1996 HoMc

12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.03 points

1. Oogadal scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Well...., another disappointing bottling by House of McCallum... I bought this as I 'missed' this is a fancy red wine cask finish and I normally don't buy (short?) finished whisky's. What is annoying is that the period of finishing isn't mentioned what (to me) suggests the bottler has something to hide? Why not be honest?
    Ok, back to the Ben Nevis. The wine finish gives this one a slightly sour touch and that is exactly what I don't like in red wine cask finishes, you're most likely to end up with this slightly sourness. And it's a shame as when time goes by this Ben Nevis shows it's age and pushes the (short?) sour finish somewhat aside. What's left is not a stunning dram, but a well aged ex bourbon matured whisky with not too much complexity. All in all I think the wine finish did more damage in an attemtp to create a more exiting whisky. Pity.
    I'm left with 83 at the beginning and 87 points at the end, so overall 85 is what this is worth. Too expensive for what you get.

2. TheWhiskyDungeon scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

fresh grass, sour, grapes, apple, vanilla, creme brulee, toffee, resin, cork, citrus, nuts
    • Taste
      oily, pepper, grapes, apple pie, creme brulee, wood tones, coffee, grape seeds, sour aftertaste

3. Dris scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

4. ctu scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

5. RobbievdBrink scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

This is a tasty but somewhat confusing whisky. It’s basis is good but I’m not sure if this specific wine cask finish was really complementary. This Ben Nevis is quite full on sour red berries and grapes next to that full oily earthy BN character. It feels kind of layered. Also the alcohol isn’t perfectly integrated for 22 years of age. I would have expected a better performance. I for sure wouldn’t buy a bottle.

6. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

And once again it has been proven. Taste is a personal thing as I don’t recognize the top 2 notes.
    I think this is different and great. You do have to like wine finishes since this one has plenty of that.
    I’ve had the privilege to join Anthony McCallum in his home for a personal tasting. Here he had the pre-finish version of this exact Ben Nevis cask. I only smelled it since I had to drive afterwards, but it immediately came to me that this finish really added an extra, unique and different layer to the whisky that made it more complex and challenging (I tasted the finished version already, shortly before this trip on a whisky festival in Wageningen).
      There is clearly red wine on the nose in a way I like. The finish still leaves room for other flavors. I get citrus fruits as well as a more typical Ben Nevis flavor: grilled beef and ungrinded peppercorns. It needs time and a wee drop of water to reach the full palate. It reveals more Ben Nevis after a drop. More earthy/muddy hints.
    • Taste
      A very wine like arrival in terms of mouthfeel. It feels rather thick and strong. Red grapes, nuttiness and again grilled beef. Very full flavored and actually quite mild. There still is a small layer of alcohol laying on top of it. A drop of water gives it a way more creamy body which I like a lot.
      Long. Wine infused wood, spices, red grapes and licorice. After that it gets the typically earthy Ben Nevis way and ends with a chalky flavor.

Bold, challenging, different, interesting bottle. Good job Anthony!

7. Erik1908 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

I am a big fan of Ben Nevis IB's. And when together with my friends, I had a private tasting at Antony McCallum's home, I had plenty of good stuff in front of me.

But this Ben Nevis is for me at least a disappointment. When poring the dram it was very sharp in taste and nose. So I added a few drops of water. I should not have done that. The whisky immediately got very weak. The nose "survived" the drops of water, but the taste had completely gone. Red wine flavors in combination with alcohol/spirit.
    Something must have gone wrong somewhere in the process. I had expected a bit more of a 22y old Ben Nevis.

8. BestOfWest scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

9. Defeatless scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Clear full and fatty red wine notes. Some citrus notes and a hint of bbq-ed red meat. Some peppersteak in the background
    • Taste
      Full and oily. Creamy mouthfeel. The red wine influence is quite remarkable in balance with the Ben Nevis. It gives it a pleasing red fruit little sour nip on a meaty and classic matured Ben Nevis taste.
      Long length. A savoury note with red fruit hints. Comes with some very nice bourbon matured notes, vanilla and toffee. Fades away with some oak.

10. Willum scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior