87.11/100
Bourbon Hogshead
Strength
18 Feb 2019 3:24 pm by Tauti

Whisky Reviews for Glenallachie 1992 CA

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.11 points

[February, 2019] The new owners try to re-position Glenallachie as a premium malt (commanding premium prices that I am not willing to pay) so I rather check the reasonable priced IB's releases if this is justified or bound to fail...

...and this bottling is rather weird. The first association that comes to my mind is "liquid sourdough nut bread" - what actually is not bad at all but very strange to drink, to be honest. For sure it is unusual and it reminds me of the rather peculiar Glenturret distillery profile. A dram that is very interesting to explore but I doubt that a lot will really like it. Give it a try if you come across a sample but I recommend to have a tasting sip before buying a bottle...

[March, 2019] After Serge scored this dram astonishing 90 points today I re-tasted it and to be honest, I fully confirm both my recview and score. It seems that Serge (and Angus) score their whiskies rather from an "intellectual" point of view (is it challenging) which is quite understandable after thousands of drams tested. Nonetheless, I am a drinker and so I rate my drams mainly for quaffability, so a delicious but not technically challenging dram can get a 90+ score and a challenging but not really tasty one is rather at 85- points. That is why I always warn newbies not to follow the experts like a lemming does but build their own taste instead and score their drams accordingly.
      The colour is jonquiripe corn and the nose offers a yeasty-bready profile on sourdough and biscuits with barley sugars, grassy, autumn floral and nutty (almonds) aromas. Later chalky notes pop up while the sourdough vanishes. I do neither find the coconut milk nor the grapefruits they state on the back label - and in the end I do not really like to nose this dram once I explored it, to be honest.
    • Taste
      The taste is sweet on sugary-nutty-marzipan flavours with a minor bubble gum-ish fruity note and again sourdough impressions. Quite a strange profile but interesting. Not sure if I like this in bigger quantities (more than one dram) but I like to explore it, for sure. After some chewing (white) chocolatey notes and tons of hot spices (peppers, chili, ginger and the like) are released that really pep up this taste. The best word to describe this profile is: weird.
      The initial mouthfeel is warming and coating with a minor drying-astringent moment of the tannins. The finish is long and adds even more spices - and by the way, these spices are not "gentle" like they state on the back label. Contrary, they are rather powerful and in combination with the sourdough bread this reminds me of the traditional Eastern European welcome offering of salt, pepper and bread. Water releases more bready aromas in the nose and turns the taste smoother (less weird) - but is this better? Not sure, I prefer the bizarre dram (neat)...

2. EJS scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

3. Hvdree scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

4. stefsel111 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

5. Allandale scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

A better Glenallachie.
      Coconut milk, grapefruit, attractive sweetness.
    • Taste
      Mlik chocolate, artificial strawberry sweet.
      Long. Polished wood, pencil shavings and gentle spices.