74.48/100
700 ml 750 ml
18 Feb 2019 7:05 am by snow21
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Bruichladdich 2003 V&M

11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 74.48 points

1. the_muskox scored this whisky 1 points Expert Junior

This is the single worst whisky I’ve ever tasted. This is how people who hate Bruichladdich must think all Bruichladdichs taste. It’s so sulfured, it’s so butyric, it’s so acidic… it tastes like industrial waste. There are tiny pops of interesting flavour in there but nothing that even comes close to redeeming it. I drank just enough to come up with the notes and pen this review, then I’ll be pouring the rest of my glass down the drain, then brushing my teeth. This cask should have stayed hidden.

Nose: Extra-funky. Very butyric and sulfurous. …Durian? I think it’s durian. Gasoline, struck match, rotten eggs, maybe some pickled onions too. Trying to look past that, there’s pineapple, peach, banana, egg custard, and salted butter.

Palate: Tastes pretty butyric too. Acidic on the arrival, and throughout: pickled lemons and herbs. Earthy in the middle, with rich malt and heavy yeast. Lactic acid.

Finish: Acidic and uncomfortably long. Roast nuts, lemon oil, vanilla cream, butyric acid, and sulfur.

2. Highlander65 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Very particular, never drunk anything like it, the sulfur is a bit too strong, perhaps over time it could fade and discover other aromas, but I will never know because I will never buy a bottle.
      pure sulfur, box of matches, there is fruit but it is overwhelmed by sulfur
    • Taste
      still a lot of sulfur, this time more on the volcanic pool, there is also a discreet sweetness and a little chocolate
      long and slightly salty

3. smoked_herring scored this whisky 1 points Member Senior

Imagine drinking liquefied eggshells...that's this whisky.

I really enjoy the picks this bottler does but this is an absolute stinker and I don't get why they'd bottle this one. One of the worst scotches I've had the displeasure of tasting.

4. holymoly99@gmx.de scored this whisky 85 points Member Senior

Very interesting, subtle aroma of popcorn, sweet popcorn.
    When does the movie begin?

5. NiklasBM scored this whisky 32 points Member Senior

Never experienced this much sulphur before. Completely ruined whisky that should probably never have been bottled.

6. ScotchMyth11177 scored this whisky 30 points Newbie

Worst spirit I’ve ever had. Nose is rotten eggs, raw sewage, rotten fruit, and sulfur. Palate isn’t as bad but still very strong rotten and sewage notes. Finish is extremely long and disgusting. I had to wash my glass 5 times to get rid of the terrible smell. This should have never been released to the public
      Disgusting. Rotten eggs and manure

7. Whisk(e)yCharlie did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Were it not for the other reviews here, I would have believed mine was a tainted bottle. I have tried thousands of whiskies, and never one like this. It scores a 10 out of 10 for being unique, but, to my taste, it was not a positive take on being interesting/novel. I can't decide if this whisky's profile is divisive or bad.

It is somehow chimerical though. The flavors are so strange that on the one hand, I was drawn to taste again only to see if it really could have been what I thought, only to regret the decision and hope that the flavors would go away. And they lingered a long, long time.

Apologies for the long notes on this one, but I read the reviews here before buying and so wanted to share in detail how my experience aligned/differed.
      Borderline offensive. I literally recoiled multiple times while trying to nose it (a first) and my stomach turned over when I contemplated that I would actually drink this. My body was rejecting it.

Elephant dung. It acutely recalled being at a circus and seeing a mound of elephant poo with plenty of straw visible in it. Bananas about 2 weeks overripe, having been forgotten in a hot room and rediscovered completely black. It is beyond funky.

After allowing myself to acclimate, it is still definitely weird, but I no longer have trepidations about consuming it.

The fruits now show some resemblance to those sometimes found in especially funky Campbeltown malts, but "off," heavily concentrated, then dialed up to 11. I take a deep whiff and my stomach again protests, but I am able to pull out some actually nice oak notes under all of this other stuff.

As I nose it more, it reminds much more of rotten eggs than of dung. But rotten eggs accompanied by some unappealing, funky, humid sweetness
    • Taste
      The palate is a much more approachable manifestation of the nose.

It is highly, *HIGHLY* sulfuric. Not sulfuric in the sense of how a sherry cask can impart some sulfur notes from a sulfur candle (I'm guessing a sulfur candle must have been used in the Madeira butt that aged this). No, this sulfur much more so recalls my 6th grade field trip to St. Augustine Florida where we drank from Ponce de Leon's supposed fountain of youth. My friend Chris, who is allergic to pure sulfur, took one sip and was nearly hospitalized, such was the concentration of sulfur in that abominable swamp water. This dram is the only thing I have ever tasted that comes close to that level of sulfuric influence.

Beyond that, this is off the charts funky... more like rotted fruit than funky fruit.
      The finish is, at first, somewhat redeeming - though it is still quite sulfuric (now more like a struck match). The rotted fruit notes are reigned in as well. The sweetness turns to highly concentrated fruit sugars.

There is still some overly dank, muggy, sweet, sweaty, and almost humid character to it. Some actually nice nectar notes are discernable underneath.

However, there is a clinging, dank, rotten note that lasts an unfortunately long time. Hours later I couldn't tell if I was actually still tasting it, or if I was having psychosomatic flashbacks, like Lady Macbeth or the narrator of the Telltale Heart. Like both, I was driven to try to rid myself of this evil specter, eating strongly flavored and very spicy foods before finally gargling straight vinegar. And yet, that rancid note persisted - though perhaps only in my mind.

8. mnljng scored this whisky 56 points Expert Junior

9. Max70 scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Very different and very didactic.... I won't buy a bottle but the bitter sulfur, very present and dominant, may be an interesting experience ... sometimes....

10. Doppeldachs scored this whisky 11 points Member Junior

Sulfur on the nose, sulfur on the palate. An impression as if you were eating a matchbox. Unfortunately only consists of a single missing grade.