Daftmill 2006

080-085/2006
Strength
01 Feb 2019 8:59 pm by Whisky_Addicted

Whisky Reviews for Daftmill 2006

22 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.97 points

[August, 2019] A huge compliment to the Daftmill owners for having the patience to wait until their whisky baby grew adult and not releasing immature "paedophelic" stuff that so often just kills the brand image of a new distillery. And I am very curious about how this new entry to the single malt whisky scene tastes...

...and it was worth waiting the twelve years, Mr. Cuthbert. This is a very fine Lowland malt profile in the best tradition of Rosebank so please release this 12-years old as a standard edition (because most drinkers can not afford to buy Rosebank bottlings any longer, since the collectors and investors took over)...
      The colour is very pale at white wine and I use a big spheric blender's glass to have my initial sniff of Daftmill. This is quite interesting and of a profile which I call truly old-style Lowland alike - just like Rosebank during its best times. It is subtle and delicate with fine home-grown fruits (green apples, lemons and more), spring floral aromas, waxes, oils and earthy notes. After some breathing the barley sugars and other malty-mashy aromas grow stronger without harming the fragile balance of this nose. Hey, I like it!
    • Taste
      The taste is another old Lowland style classicwith excellent barley sugars, citric fruits, floral impressions and waxy-oily-earthy notes. Again this strongly reminds me of fine old Rosebank drams of comparable age. After some chewing the sugars combine to a tasty milk chocolate flavour and some spices pep up the mix nicely.
      The whisky arrives very charming on the palate with a warming and instantly coating mouthfeel. No distracting moments here. The finish is medium to long and adds some bitter herbs and notes of green tea which provides a new dimension to the profile. It gets a little drying towards the end which is not distracting. Some water releases additional chalky-mineral notes in the nose and turns the taste more approachable but less interesting. I prefer to explore this dram when neat and like to drink it both neat and a little reduced to 40% abv.

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I had searched all over for one of these to no avail so my wife phones me up just before the shops shut and asked me what that bottle was I wanted, I said they would be sold out but she went ahead and popped in the Lincoln whisky shop and hey presto they had one bottle left from their allocation of 9, I love my wife :)

£95 is more than I would normally pay for 12 year old but after visiting the distillery I am happy to pay it.
    Whisky is for drinking and I am no auction flipper so I am going to open it and stick 2 fingers up to all the flippers.
    With only 1625 bottles this should have been limited to one per customer in my humble opinion.
    Lets get drinking.
      A light, fruity, floral nose, classic lowlander I suppose and reminds me of some Rosebanks I have had.
      Plenty of vanilla, freshly sawn pine wood, pineapple, hint of peach juice, with a little warm biscuits fresh out the oven. There is lots more but I need to taste this :)
      With water:-
      More pastry and funnily a sliced chicken roll note?
    • Taste
      Quite a chewy mouthfeel, creamy but slightly dry but no sign of any fruit first off.
      I think water may release the fruit.
      2nd mouthful it is even creamier but I get some fruit now, a little lemon and again a little fresh pineapple but also some pastry notes in the mix.
      There is a dry edge to this which I feel will knock a point or 2 off the final score?
      I think there is a trace of peat but not really sure, I will need to ask Francis about that?
      The cereal notes are coming out now mixing with a little peat and the fruit is in the background.

With water:-

A little more citrus perhaps and more biscuit but water has dulled everything else, perhaps I put too much in so no more than a few drops otherwise you could kill it but persevering it does get sweeter, you need to experiment with this one
      Decent length, remaining chewy with a citrus edge right at the end.

The finish is longer with water and a little sweeter.

I will re taste this in a few days time but it is a 12 year, Daftmill is not one of those new distilleries that puts new make out, then a 2 & 3 year old so much respect to Daftmill for this 12 year, I consider this a good buy :)

3. Jackson05 scored this whisky 77 points Expert Senior

Daftmill owns a lot of hype surrounding it, and I can see the appeal. You could turn the clock back to 1890 and they would do just fine. They produce 20,000 liters of pure alcohol per year, and I’m not sure they really have the desire to be the new Rosebank. A sustainable distillery if there ever was one. That’s saying something in 2019. Outlook not good for export to Canada...

Ok wow so I did not read a single review before trying this dram, so almost blind as it we're. The only thing I can say is that I do not care at all for overly floral drams and that’s where this one falls to me. I had this side by side with the newest (nov,2019) Daftmill (142069) and I rate that a 91. A world apart, to me at least. For the record, I respect many trusted reviewers that give this a solid score, it’s just crazy they can all be so wrong ;). Thanks to my friend for the sample, it’s a rare treat in these inflated times to be able to try not one, but two Daftmill. I really appreciate that.
      A sour cheesy note that I associate with Fettercairn. A little sweaty. That sounds like a bunch of insults, but it’s not bad. Rising dough. Wort. Sour ale. Unmalted barley. Tinned peach and an apple. An honest nose for sure.
    • Taste
      Creamy and mouthcoating. Old flowers, diluted oil of oregano, potpourri, paraffin, oversteeped green tea. Starts off good with a solid mouthfeel, but turns quite floral and bitter.
      Dry and a bit of hay. Floral, green tea, bitter, grass, old limes. Weird finish that I don’t care for to be honest.

4. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

C: TWE pre-show queue is rightly legendary. Some years, the queue offerings have almost eclipsed what’s on in the main show. Understandably, the appearance of truly rare [and valuable] whisky has become less and less. This year’s most memorable pre-show offerings [day 1], included Daftmill’s fruity and simply charming 2006 Winter Release.

Scores 86 points

5. dougaf scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

With the massive expansion of new distilleries in the last 15 years one is left with a struggle - an honest exploration of new regions/innovations/terrior. Sometimes those innovations are an adherence to the classic style of whisky making. Those distilleries like Daftmill, Kilchoman, Wyoming, Shelter point. Farmers with the extra crop and a penchant for innovation and diversification. You want to love the story, but you also need to be mindful of the hype vs reality. You want to love them. You want them to succeed. You want to be able to continue drinking it.

Daftmill serves as one those of classic stories that I want to love. But we must try and not let our hopes get the best of us..

Young and powerful. In time I know it will be strong - but I don’t know if it will be on the side of good or evil. In 10 to 20 years this will be memorable, in one way or another.
      Farmy. Fresh, Malted. Mushrooms. Floral. Spirity. Vanilla sponge cake. Freshly delivered amazon boxes. Strong Vanillins.
    • Taste
      Fresh leaves. Rose pedals. lime. Ginger ale. Floral pedals. Cinnamon. Fresh tarragon.
      Sour cream. Floral. Curdled cream. Cottage cheese. Lemon meringue and cardboard pie. Slight spice. Med-long finish.

6. ahroeen scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

A beautiful whisky. Subtle and complex. Vanilla, apples, pears, malt. Honey. A quiet dram which needs time to open up and come into its own.

7. ctu scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

A bit expensive, but a very unique and concentrated taste from a lowlander, good maturing. 89/90.
      Floral. Fruits: apple, pineapple, peach and pear. Pine, yoghurt and vanilla.
    • Taste
      Creamy. Fruits, citruses, spicy oak, pina colada, honey, caramel, banana shake and cereal.
      Long, fruity, spicy, oaky.

8. Glenjasper scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

What can I say? € 200.00 for a twelve year old whisky is already an announcement. Had the money probably not up for it. We bought the bottle for tasting after all. Shared suffering is half the pain, I thought.

But then the surprise. Although we were not revealed € 200.00 - whisky, but also not the garbage that other young distilleries throw at this price on the market.

The whisky was even really good. Many fruit notes of citrus fruits, apples and pears, followed by a subtle hint of vanilla, which turned into a warm caramel flavor. The fruity finish was significantly longer than other 12-year-olds.

I would not have expected that from a young distillery.

I'm looking forward to the first 16-year-old from Daftmill and hope for a not too utopian price.

Even though I've just tasted a Daftmill whisky, I dare to predict that top-quality whiskys can be made here if Daftmill stays true to its line.

9. lincolnimp scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

It took less than a week for bottles to appear on here at double your money + by private sellers.
    And look at the pathetic shop price at £480 , madness and greed all rolled into one, I need to look this shop up and see what other bargains they have?
    A few days ago when whisky International on line in Edinburgh had 2 bottles left they were £300 so they sell one and slap £180 on the remaining bottle, nice. Yeah I know shops will charge what the market will stand and lets face it they are only in it to make money but a greed is greed, pure and simple.
    These bottles were sold for around £95 last week from reputable retailers.

10. JoshNRW scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

Blindtasting at Voss, Nr. 2 (Round 1)
      Very blatantly unusual, like Mon-Cherrie and coffee, cocoa, muff, no smoke and no islay, malty grain, really nice and round, menthol, flowery, very flowery all at once, 48-52%, about 16 years.
    • Taste
      Again no alcohol, super round, less special than the nose, sweetness and full fruitiness, rather dark and long filling.
      Medium maximum