Daftmill 2006

080-085/2006
Strength
01 Feb 2019 8:59 pm by WhiskyAddicted

Whisky Reviews for Daftmill 2006

13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.52 points

[August, 2019] A huge compliment to the Daftmill owners for having the patience to wait until their whisky baby grew adult and not releasing immature "paedophelic" stuff that so often just kills the brand image of a new distillery. And I am very curious about how this new entry to the single malt whisky scene tastes...

...and it was worth waiting the twelve years, Mr. Cuthbert. This is a very fine Lowland malt profile in the best tradition of Rosebank so please release this 12-years old as a standard edition (because most drinkers can not afford to buy Rosebank bottlings any longer, since the collectors and investors took over)...
      The colour is very pale at white wine and I use a big spheric blender's glass to have my initial sniff of Daftmill. This is quite interesting and of a profile which I call truly old-style Lowland alike - just like Rosebank during its best times. It is subtle and delicate with fine home-grown fruits (green apples, lemons and more), spring floral aromas, waxes, oils and earthy notes. After some breathing the barley sugars and other malty-mashy aromas grow stronger without harming the fragile balance of this nose. Hey, I like it!
    • Taste
      The taste is another old Lowland style classicwith excellent barley sugars, citric fruits, floral impressions and waxy-oily-earthy notes. Again this strongly reminds me of fine old Rosebank drams of comparable age. After some chewing the sugars combine to a tasty milk chocolate flavour and some spices pep up the mix nicely.
      The whisky arrives very charming on the palate with a warming and instantly coating mouthfeel. No distracting moments here. The finish is medium to long and adds some bitter herbs and notes of green tea which provides a new dimension to the profile. It gets a little drying towards the end which is not distracting. Some water releases additional chalky-mineral notes in the nose and turns the taste more approachable but less interesting. I prefer to explore this dram when neat and like to drink it both neat and a little reduced to 40% abv.

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I had searched all over for one of these to no avail so my wife phones me up just before the shops shut and asked me what that bottle was I wanted, I said they would be sold out but she went ahead and popped in the Lincoln whisky shop and hey presto they had one bottle left from their allocation of 9, I love my wife :)

£95 is more than I would normally pay for 12 year old but after visiting the distillery I am happy to pay it.
    Whisky is for drinking and I am no auction flipper so I am going to open it and stick 2 fingers up to all the flippers.
    With only 1625 bottles this should have been limited to one per customer in my humble opinion.
    Lets get drinking.
      A light, fruity, floral nose, classic lowlander I suppose and reminds me of some Rosebanks I have had.
      Plenty of vanilla, freshly sawn pine wood, pineapple, hint of peach juice, with a little warm biscuits fresh out the oven. There is lots more but I need to taste this :)
      With water:-
      More pastry and funnily a sliced chicken roll note?
    • Taste
      Quite a chewy mouthfeel, creamy but slightly dry but no sign of any fruit first off.
      I think water may release the fruit.
      2nd mouthful it is even creamier but I get some fruit now, a little lemon and again a little fresh pineapple but also some pastry notes in the mix.
      There is a dry edge to this which I feel will knock a point or 2 off the final score?
      I think there is a trace of peat but not really sure, I will need to ask Francis about that?
      The cereal notes are coming out now mixing with a little peat and the fruit is in the background.

With water:-

A little more citrus perhaps and more biscuit but water has dulled everything else, perhaps I put too much in so no more than a few drops otherwise you could kill it but persevering it does get sweeter, you need to experiment with this one
      Decent length, remaining chewy with a citrus edge right at the end.

The finish is longer with water and a little sweeter.

I will re taste this in a few days time but it is a 12 year, Daftmill is not one of those new distilleries that puts new make out, then a 2 & 3 year old so much respect to Daftmill for this 12 year, I consider this a good buy :)

3. ctu scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

A bit expensive, but a very unique and concentrated taste from a lowlander, good maturing.
      Floral. Fruits: apple, pineapple, peach and pear. Pine, yoghurt and vanilla.
    • Taste
      Creamy. Fruits, citruses, spicy oak, pina colada, honey, caramel, banana shake and cereal.
      Long, fruity, spicy, oaky.

4. matts scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Tasted at the Limburg Whisky Fair 2019. Truly distilled, lots of sweetish cereals, quince, pear, apples. Very intense and in between for a short moment even spicy-hot. Then vanilla, banana and an exotic fruit basket. He can do something. Conclusion: very good.

5. Glenjasper scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

What can I say? € 200.00 for a twelve year old whisky is already an announcement. Had the money probably not up for it. We bought the bottle for tasting after all. Shared suffering is half the pain, I thought.

But then the surprise. Although we were not revealed € 200.00 - whisky, but also not the garbage that other young distilleries throw at this price on the market.

The whisky was even really good. Many fruit notes of citrus fruits, apples and pears, followed by a subtle hint of vanilla, which turned into a warm caramel flavor. The fruity finish was significantly longer than other 12-year-olds.

I would not have expected that from a young distillery.

I'm looking forward to the first 16-year-old from Daftmill and hope for a not too utopian price.

Even though I've just tasted a Daftmill whisky, I dare to predict that top-quality whiskys can be made here if Daftmill stays true to its line.

6. lincolnimp scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

This is just about finished now but it does improve once air has got to it.
    A sweet fruity profile, my final score 89 points.

7. Firehero90 scored this whisky 100 points Member Senior

Malty, caramel, fruits. A perfect bourbon barrel

8. ffmdino did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

very interesting
    I would not call that a typical Lowlander (if there is such a thing)
    he has potential
    solid malt that pleases
    wants to be discovered
      Vanilla becomes stronger, malt becomes more, light pear, dry sparkling wine, becomes sweet and becomes stronger, wood, citrus notes, slightly peppery
      later: spicy, pineapple ?, more fruits, neat vanilla
    • Taste
      full, strong and very oily on the palate
      very flowery !!!, light fruits, slightly oak, slightly vanilla, spicy, sweet, perfume soap (floral)
      later oak seasoning
      medium long
      rather thin, slightly vanilla, sweet
      later oak, strawberry, raspberry