Daftmill 2006

080-085/2006
Strength
01 Feb 2019 8:00 pm by WhiskyAddicted

Whisky Reviews for Daftmill 2006

9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.63 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

I had searched all over for one of these to no avail so my wife phones me up just before the shops shut and asked me what that bottle was I wanted, I said they would be sold out but she went ahead and popped in the Lincoln whisky shop and hey presto they had one bottle left from their allocation of 9, I love my wife :)

£95 is more than I would normally pay for 12 year old but after visiting the distillery I am happy to pay it.
    Whisky is for drinking and I am no auction flipper so I am going to open it and stick 2 fingers up to all the flippers.
    With only 1625 bottles this should have been limited to one per customer in my humble opinion.
    Lets get drinking.
      A light, fruity, floral nose, classic lowlander I suppose and reminds me of some Rosebanks I have had.
      Plenty of vanilla, freshly sawn pine wood, pineapple, hint of peach juice, with a little warm biscuits fresh out the oven. There is lots more but I need to taste this :)
      With water:-
      More pastry and funnily a sliced chicken roll note?
    • Taste
      Quite a chewy mouthfeel, creamy but slightly dry but no sign of any fruit first off.
      I think water may release the fruit.
      2nd mouthful it is even creamier but I get some fruit now, a little lemon and again a little fresh pineapple but also some pastry notes in the mix.
      There is a dry edge to this which I feel will knock a point or 2 off the final score?
      I think there is a trace of peat but not really sure, I will need to ask Francis about that?
      The cereal notes are coming out now mixing with a little peat and the fruit is in the background.

With water:-

A little more citrus perhaps and more biscuit but water has dulled everything else, perhaps I put too much in so no more than a few drops otherwise you could kill it but persevering it does get sweeter, you need to experiment with this one
      Decent length, remaining chewy with a citrus edge right at the end.

The finish is longer with water and a little sweeter.

I will re taste this in a few days time but it is a 12 year, Daftmill is not one of those new distilleries that puts new make out, then a 2 & 3 year old so much respect to Daftmill for this 12 year, I consider this a good buy :)

2. ctu scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

A bit expensive, but a very unique and concentrated taste from a lowlander, good maturing.
      Floral. Fruits: apple, pineapple, peach and pear. Pine, yoghurt and vanilla.
    • Taste
      Creamy. Fruits, citruses, spicy oak, pina colada, honey, caramel, banana shake and cereal.
      Long, fruity, spicy, oaky.

3. matts scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Tasted at the Limburg Whisky Fair 2019. Truly distilled, lots of sweetish cereals, quince, pear, apples. Very intense and in between for a short moment even spicy-hot. Then vanilla, banana and an exotic fruit basket. He can do something. Conclusion: very good.

4. Glenjasper scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

What can I say? € 200.00 for a twelve year old whisky is already an announcement. Had the money probably not up for it. We bought the bottle for tasting after all. Shared suffering is half the pain, I thought.

But then the surprise. Although we were not revealed € 200.00 - whisky, but also not the garbage that other young distilleries throw at this price on the market.

The whisky was even really good. Many fruit notes of citrus fruits, apples and pears, followed by a subtle hint of vanilla, which turned into a warm caramel flavor. The fruity finish was significantly longer than other 12-year-olds.

I would not have expected that from a young distillery.

I'm looking forward to the first 16-year-old from Daftmill and hope for a not too utopian price.

Even though I've just tasted a Daftmill whisky, I dare to predict that top-quality whiskys can be made here if Daftmill stays true to its line.

5. WSP scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

6. kimmosuo scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

7. Dris scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

8. LukasJakubDrabek did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Ralfy review 769: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWhxM5M3kjM (90/100).

"Very interesting whisky. Unusual. Not typical of a modern single malt style. In fact, it's the very antithesis of an engineered single malt."

9. lincolnimp scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

It took less than a week for bottles to appear on here at double your money + by private sellers.
    And look at the pathetic shop price at £480 , madness and greed all rolled into one, I need to look this shop up and see what other bargains they have?
    A few days ago when whisky International on line in Edinburgh had 2 bottles left they were £300 so they sell one and slap £180 on the remaining bottle, nice. Yeah I know shops will charge what the market will stand and lets face it they are only in it to make money but a greed is greed, pure and simple.
    These bottles were sold for around £95 last week from reputable retailers.