90.00/100
That Boutique-y Whisky Company (TBWC)
Batch 1
2019
Strength
23 Jan 2019 11:59 am by holborndrinker

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Islay #4 TBWC

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.00 points

1. Palindrome did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I don't think this is necessarily a Lagavulin. There is also a boat with a title on the bow that says "Laddie" and one that looks like "Laugh____g." The third one is winning the race. The one lagging behind says "Laggin" not "Laggan."

I don't have this bottle, but I blew it up very large on my large screen computer. I'm on the fence about buying it. I won't drink Laphroaig for health reasons and I don't want a bottle of that. Why you ask? Because I think it really could have TSP Trisodium Phosphate in it, as many processed foods these days do; however not at such a high level as to actually smell the TSP as one can do with many Laphroaigs. Point in fact: I got very sick after I drank my last bottle of 10 year old CS batch 006, the scent, texture and flavor of which I dearly love, BTW. Well, just in case, I'm not taking any chances. No more Laphroaig for this guy. Sorry, but I'm just careful.

Anyway, I am on a Lagavulin kick these days. I almost bought the Boutique-y under discussion, and then I looked closer at the tasting notes from many different sellers. They don't necessarily match a Lagavulin 16 as stated by WLP. This said, I really do like WhiskyLovingPianist's reviews.

I have purchased several really nice bottles based upon his reviews and tasting notes. Lately, his notes have been getting a big thin, scant, and cryptic. I liked his straight forward and more detailed way of writing whisky notes back a few years ago just a little more, but I will still take what I can get from an obvious veteran and expert. :)

I wish Leopold 1985 would have written something. If he also said it tasted like a Lag 16, then I would pull the trigger on this interesting bottle and get one. Caol Ila doesn't really "float my boat" these days either.

Insofar as Islay is concerned, I'm big into gourmet Bunnas (but not OB's), Bruichs, old Ardies, and the Lags. Octos are just too many phenols for me. I don't drink them for health reasons, even though I really like many of them. I can remember the Orpheus like it was only yesterday. I bought two bottles and wish I had gotten more. I also really loved the Comus even though it wasn't as perfect and had a few lovable flaws.

I like PPM levels well under 100 that taste huge. That's more my speed these days. More-er isn't necessarily better, as can be seen from so many overhopped American beers that really are quite bad, but highly rated. Malt is underrated by Americans as a very nice way to round off a beer. Many of those same Americans overlook single malt scotch and go for some very average and sad bourbons, thinking they are just the cat's meow. To each their own.

In my estimation, only a few bourbons these days are worth fussing over. I really do love the PH 24. It blows away Pappy and all the rest for me. I haven't bought a really good Pappy since 2014, but I've opened some of my older ones and a really old one from Japan at a friends house that was an amazing rye. Old Rip Van Winkles, I think? Anyway, the old juice was just better, IMO. Plus, the age seems off to me. For instance, a 23 tastes like the old 20 and the new 20 tastes like the old 15. I would much prefer a 2010 10 or 12 YO Pappy to a present day 23. That old Stitz juice is worth going young for.

Well, I will sign off. I hope somebody else reviews this bottle before I put in my next order. The color of it really intrigues me since it's au naturelle.

2. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

I rarely get TBWC’s label clues, but what’s that written on the side of the boat? 'Laggan’!

C: Very much reminiscent of the official 16yo in style. For ‘Laggan' fans, this is a no-brainer.