93.19/100
Strength
24 Nov 2018 3:43 pm by WhiskyAddicted

€ 2.619,50

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 1968 MoS

20 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.19 points

1. WhiskyAddicted did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Chico11mbit only 2 points? Are you serious

2. edhunter15 scored this whisky 96 points Expert Junior

What can I say? I was a bit worried before the tasting that this malt may not meet my expectations and as a result may rather disillusionment based on the quality of such old (and expensive) whiskys. But on the contrary! Such a harmonious, complex and delicious whisky I had so far very rarely in the glass! The interplay of the soft oak flavors with the complex fruitiness and mouth-watering spice really testifies to an exceptional malt. Not only the key data shows that you have something special in the glass. Of course you can not rate this Bunnahabhain biased and at a blindsample my euphoria would probably have been a bit lower, but I had just one of my most special and most intense whisky experiences. I'm excited!
      Wow! This is how 50 years smell. What flows towards me here is so complex and new to me that I need some time to sort out my impressions. I already know that my description can only reasonably do justice to the malt, since a list of all the associations that hit my head would span the frame. I still try my best. The first flavor package I would describe as a combination of old leather, old lacquered wood (like the cabin of an old sailing boat) and a very interesting fruitiness. This reminds me most of dried apple rings, candied rhubarb and very aromatic raisins. However, the description of this fruitiness is extraordinarily difficult for me, as it is very complex and always shows new nuances. With a little time, a wonderfully in-spice of cloves and star anise and a mouth-watering creaminess join the other flavors. On the one hand, the creaminess reminds me of fragrant vanilla pastry, on the other hand, of cigar leaves or the creamy-fruity aromas of a noble champagne. I could hold my nose in the glass for hours and I would not run out of associations.
    • Taste
      The taste reflects wonderfully the impressions from the Nosing again. Again, there is a very complex and incredibly round interaction of old leather, tobacco, old wood and carnations and star anise. But notes of cinnamon, cantuccini and cocoa with a dash of amaretto characterize the taste.
      Especially the Cantuccini pastry and the cocoa with amaretto determined the finish immediately after swallowing. These aromas reconnect with the notes of cloves and cinnamon, as well as a distinct fruitiness of raisins, dates and dried apricots. Especially the fruit flavors remain in the mouth for a long time. The oak is exceptionally harmonious and softly integrated into the overall picture, which I find really amazing after such a long maturation period.

3. dram-drinker scored this whisky 97 points Moderator

Mahagony color, intense and complex from the start, very good balance, clearly a winner - fantastic!
      Intense, dried fruits, plums, dates, figs, chocolate galore, also cooked fruits, jam, finest oak wood, hints of vanilla, spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar cane, whiffs of toffee and mocha - it's really hard to stop sniffing - superb!
    • Taste
      Punchy, creamy, liquorice, fruity, nutty, spices, dried and cooked fruits, blood oranges, finest oak wood again balanced with subtle sweetness, more vanilla notes, pepper, more chocolate, cocoa, notes of acacia honey, nutmeg, touch of coffee and espresso - excellent!
      Long, warm, more spices, more fine oak wood, not drying

4. Lorion scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

A grenade. Just the madness. An old sherry whisky. So he has to smell and taste. 95 points!
      Fermented fruit. Raisins. A few juniper berries are here. Passion fruit, hints of mango. Rum-Grape-Nut chocolate. Sweet, pressed wood. Herbal drawer. Gradually, the oak comes through. Dried plums. Sweet-tasting cellar. Moist, slightly mineral.
    • Taste
      Warm plum jam. Aromatic pipe tobacco. Raisins. Old leather. Dark chocolate. Fermented fruit. Hazelnut shell. The second sip is sweeter. But it gets drier soon. Some lovage.
      Long, warm. Fruity and subtly bitter. Cinnamon. Somewhat moldy Maggi remains.

5. waal scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

First: I always have my difficulties with these old malts and fluctuate between awe and try neutral evaluation. It is precisely this objective assessment that makes me think. Do I then subconsciously rate myself worse, as I do not want to be blinded by awe, or do I actually judge better because of the story this malt has lived through? I dont know.
    However, as I tend to rate such 'old malts' a lot worse than the average, I suspect that I'm just not the type for that particular kind of taste (which they all have in common). Attention: Wailing at a damn high level ????

Aroma / Nose feeling:
    A potpourri of different flavors - what diversity! In front of such a glass I can sit for hours and smell it. Deep, full, heavy and dignified. Quiet, sweet with a hint of anise. Plum compote with rum, coconut milk, almonds, cereals, wax, ripe pear, berry haribo, loam soil and cotton candy. A constant change of flavors makes this malt an absolute dream of aromas.
    Continue with some vegetables, dates, dark chocolate with marzipan and tents.
    The nose is underlined by a leathery, dusty, slightly musty clay, which I perceive as very suitable and age appropriate.

Taste / mouthfeel:
    With light tingling, leather, bitter first impression and a little sourdough, the old Scotch greets me on the tongue. Uff - what happens here? The bunnahabhain suddenly changes its structure in the mouth. As if the sip of whisky would change in my mouth. I've never been this way and confused myself. I honestly can not describe it either. You have to experience it yourself.
    Vanilla, hops, malt and a creaminess, which unfortunately gets watery with time, are to be found. Also floral notes, dark bitter chocolate and hot berries on vanilla sauce.
    However, what I do not like here (and also in the finish) is the already mentioned in the introduction sucked impression that leaves the malt in the mouth. This impression is reinforced after sipping on the glass to the finish. This old, ailing, "stale-mineral-water-carbonic-moderate" - I do not like it (unfortunately). A shallow comparison - I know - but I think I can explain the best so what I mean: Coke without carbonation. Brrrrrrr !!

Finish / aftertaste / Length:
    A sweet, short- to medium-long finish with slightly mineral and floral notes, which gets a little bitter over time and brings the oak to light. Clove, cold coffee with cream and some geranium accompany the overall impression.

Overall impression / comment:
    Yes, what should I say. For me, such old malts are like people who are full of life years. They have a great deal to tell and have had to experience and suffer a lot in their long lives. Nevertheless - the power of the youth (of course with all the disadvantages) has disappeared and usually those people are missing at the end of life but a bit of élan.
    Exactly this Elan I miss in general with old malts. In the end, they are too bland, too exhausted. Of course, this Bunna is very memorable (especially the nose) but for me this malt would not be for every day. In the taste and the departure of the old warhorse loses me too many sympathy points and acts on me as if he was abandoned by all life spirits.
    As mentioned in the beginning, all this complaining is of a high standard and I also understand what is desirable about such an old malt, but honestly? I am a 18 Bunna, at a much lower price, a lot better - and the same review of:

Points:
    88/100

6. Griller76 scored this whisky 96 points Member Senior

A real toppaint, which has reached its optimum maturity right now to be bottled!
      warm-sherry-tonic, plump pudding, Christmas spices, fruit cake, dried fruit bread, rum pot with red fruits, oak
    • Taste
      subtle oak, medium sweetness, alcohol perfectly embedded, tight and perfectly interwoven flavors and spices of the Orient, pleasantly warm
      eternally long, sweet, light oak bitterness

7. Falnor scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Tasted at the WCY 69/ 50yr tasting in january 2019. After a lot of special drams this beauty was opened. A fitting ending of a great tasting.
    The insane numbers, colour and beautiful package of this warehouse diamond adds to a high anticipation.

So what can we expect from a 50 year old sherry cask? Dry / oaky with pencil shavings and cherries? Let's see...
      What a fruity nose after all these years. The first thing that sticks out are the blue berries. A forest fruit feeling only more in a jammy version. Cassis, raisins and sultanas completes this fruity oldtimer.
      Still we've got lots of othe stuff to explore. Coffee candy, cloves and even some nutmeg make sure there's room for the spicy side.
    • Taste
      The blue berries from the nose are more intense and more towards blackberries and blackcurrant. Some dried oranges, autumn leaves and tobacco goes well with the anise and cinnamon on the palate. There's chocolate with raisins and hazelnut.
      Special coffee infused with nuts, honey and vanilla gives body towards the end. The fruit fades a bit, but the bitter cocoa has enough sweetness.

8. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

Quite a famous bottling here but does live up to expectations, the nose is plain amazing, honey toffee chocolate cocoa Demerara sugar dark fruits cooked fruits dried fruits sultanas, Christmas cake, orange leather some great rancio. Beautiful bottling

9. gooos scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior