- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- French Red Wine & American Bourbon Casks
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Bottled for
- Travel Retail
- Added on
- 16 Nov 2018 4:42 pm by hylla
4 × in wishlist
29 × member ratings
128 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Auchentoshan Blood Oak
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.71 points
- Disappointing experience. The red wine finish barley comes through, the typical Auchentoshan character is just slightly enhanced by some red fruits. That's pretty much it. The alcohol is way too strong, badly integrated and all in all it's very flat. The harsh alcohol in the nose and on the palate makes this, as mentioned, a disappointing experience. Bummer!
- Not bad at all.
sweet, alcohol, dried and fresh fruits, oak cask, intense and heavy
sweet and light, sour, oak, spicy, pepper, herbs, pleasant, simple
a lot of oak, spicy, warm, bitter herbs, warm and long, simple but pleasant
- A completely different Auchentoshan: Instead of a slightly matured whisky with delicate aromas such as peach and floral notes, the barrels used here totally dominate. The red wine barrels bring wonderful fruits such as berries, oranges and cherries. The 46% are also good for the whisky, Auchentoshan should bottle this strength more often.
Immediately sweet vanilla and strong raspberry notes. Then a wonderful fruit mix, there are plums, cherries, blood oranges and strawberries. A really nice, dark fruity nose. The malt is very different here from the Auchentoshan I've tried so far, the delicate peach and flower notes are completely missing, the aromas from the red wine barrels definitely dominate here.
First oily, sweet and light with a little honey and again a colorful fruit basket, especially oranges and berries. Then emerging oak spice with a little cinnamon
The long finish is dominated by a lot of spices with a little coffee and a remaining red wine note, as well as oranges, strawberries and spicy forest honey. Later the sweetness gives way to the oak and some dryness. Slightly mineral notes at the very end.
- Good and edgy Single Malt. There must be some quite young parts in it but overall very nice.
Nose: Very fruity with cherries, berries and a little bit of vanilla
Taste: Cherries, mandarin orange, a little bit of vanilla and a little alcoholic (but nice)
finish: mid-long, very fruity