- Single Malt
- Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Bamboo wood and cherry blossom
- Stated Age
- 06 years old
- 1st Fill Ex-Pinot Noir Barrique
- Number of bottles
- 59.6 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 12 Nov 2018 2:46 pm by Tauti
12 × in wishlist
28 × member ratings
26 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Chichibu 2011 SMWS 130.3
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.14 points
- It's an absolute disgrace that German shop Whisky Temple is selling this whisky at a price of 1295 euro, while it was sold by the SMWS last month for around 180 euro. Shame on you!
Winner, Independent Bottler of the Year
12 Years & Under: Gold medal winner
Cask No. 130.3: Bamboo wood and cherry
Only available in set with 93.99 (https://www.smws.com/drambletown-loch - 72.00 GBP) for a total of 219 GBP. Price was December 2018 therefore probably at about 150.00 GBP.
- SMWS notes:
Bamboo wood and cherry blossom
This distillery was established in 2008. After three years in a bourbon barrel this whisky was transferred into a pinot noir hogshead. The nose definitely gets the red wine, also cola cubes, cherry Tunes, Jolly Ranchers, redcurrant, chocolate orange and polished furniture. The palate picks up sherry notes, sweet rosé wine, tonic wine and grappa, with stewed apples, cherry pie, coconut and cough mixture. The reduced nose has red laces, bamboo wood and cherry blossom, while the palate finds honey on toast and ripe fig with a dry, spicy and perfumed finish – lots of flavour and really quite complex for its age.
- So with the part I really fell out of my face. Thanks @fernet branco I was allowed to taste a sample of this young Japanese and am really surprised.
With youthful drops I am fundamentally skeptical and expected a sprightly metallic sprout. Not even close!
What flows here to the aroma cargo from the glass is really impressive. Especially coconut is what I perceive first. Then exotic wood notes and a strong sweetness. I let the drop last a good 15 minutes - the development is fascinating.
The drop has a strong onset and brizzes a good pound on the tongue.
Then great notes similar to a bounty bar, coconut and dark chocolate. Followed by strong woody notes without any bitterness. This drop is heavy and oily, a certain paralysis in the mouth makes it wide, but not unpleasant.
After that a lot sweeter and notes of caramelized walnuts and something reminiscent of brittle.
The taste stays really long and this combination of coconut, nuts, chocolate and wood is delicious. Time for the next sip.
- This whisky was sold for 670€ @whiskyauction.com in March 2019