Four Roses 130th Anniversary

Strength
24 Oct 2018 11:18 pm by mds51
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Four Roses 130th Anniversary

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.11 points

1. This_Is_BearDog scored this whisky 93 points Expert Junior

Beautiful Four Roses. Doesn’t have a ton of that apple / fruitiness I associate with them, but it is absolutely delicious. On my first ½ oz of this, I found mostly the sweet notes. The second sampling has muuuuuch more traditional FR herbal qualities melding with the sweet notes. Both experiences were great, but the second is more in line with what one would expect from FR. And that is absolutely not to diminish how caramel driven the second sampling was. All in all, salted caramel, honey, and tons of rye + herbal notes is a fantastic combination.

I would love more than 3cls of this to try, but beggars can’t be choosers. It is hard to grade less than 1oz samples, especially when two pours of it yielded two different (but similar) experiences. But I think this is pretty damn close to a 95 whiskey, which is what a 9/10 roughly correlates to on my scale. That would make it, historically, the best Four Roses I have had, which I don’t know if that holds up in my memory. I very, very fondly recall an OBSO from Binny’s which I gave an 8, and two OESKs, one from Crown and one from Corkdorks, both of which I gave 7.5s. Why I rated them so “low” I cannot recall, because I loved them and think of them all the time. Rating scales are weird and best for mere approximation than anything else.
      Fuck that’s good. Huge caramel, a little bit salty. Some sort of honey-chocolate-peanut butter candy. Missing the fruits I expect from Four Roses, but massive on the candy end of the spectrum. Almost Beamesque. Mint coming in. Coconut. Pineapple. On the second day of sampling, I get much more of the mint and herbal qualities.
    • Taste
      Rye spice and rye grain. Loads of thick, gooey salted caramel coming in. Honey. Some nice oak. Growing spice. Black pepper. Mint and eucalyptus show up here on the second day of sampling this. Immensely herbal. Maybe even some basil, which is amazing. Caramel and honey return. Strong spice, not loads of heat. Finally some apples show up, mostly green but some honeycrisp or something in there too. Lemon zest. Very thick mouthfeel.
      Oak, rye grain, and black pepper. Lasting, zingy mint. Yeah, definitely some basil in here. Honey entering, but still with tons of eucalyptus. Is that a thing? Eucalyptus honey? (Consulting the internet, yes. I was imagining more eucalyptus-infused honey, but honey made from eucalyptus flowers works too. I am curious how that is…) Long finish.

2. svenske2015 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior