- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Cask Strength
- Stated Age
- 07 years old
- Bourbon Cask + Het Anker Cask Finish
- Number of bottles
- 65.0 % Vol.
- 500 ml
- Bottled for
- 25yrs Bresser & Timmer
- Added on
- 24 Oct 2018 9:40 am
35 × in wishlist
46 × member ratings
120 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Gouden Carolus 2011 Single Anker Cask Finish
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.95 points
- I see here absurd ratings for this whisky 98/100 really? This is not bad but 70 euro for 50cl is just overpriced. Finish is short and afterwards you only taste alcohol. Tried a lot of gouden carolus and quality is overall mediocre same with this again.
- Christmas Dram
In Blaasveld (Belgium) the brewery Het Anker continues to distill their prize-winning Gouden Carolus whisky. They just released their 5th anniversary edition ‘Victor’. But for the 25th anniversary of Bresser & Timmer – famous importer in Holland – they bottled a single cask from 2011. 350 bottles at 65.0% went up north. The whisky first matured for 32 months on a former first fill bourbon cask and then was finished (or is that a second maturation?) of 53 months on a so-called Het Anker cask.
Dark, sweet and succulent nose on baked apples, tarte-tatin, old port and cinnamon. I hear Christmas bells in the back of my mind.
Nicely oily and round. Very sweet on apricots, baked apples, nectarine and a truckload of honey. Piquant on nutmeg and black pepper. A nice bitter touch of oak. Does not need water, which I like. The second sip offers some eucalyptus, molded wood and cuberdons.
The finish is very long, dark and sweet and spicy.
I think I have just tasted the best Gouden Carolus single malt to date. But 65 EUR for half a liter is quite expensive.
- Nose powerful and flowery, The apple ..., on the palate good length it has a good palette of aromas The apple ... Vanilla, apricot, a little wood ....., ending on a wood and caramel
Green apple, lemon, caramel
fruit type citrus, apple, apricot, nectarine pepper, honey, nutmeg, wood
Vanilla, Caffé, Honey, Flower
- A fruit explosion with a Finnish that is particularly long. Delicious with a little water
- This is one strange whisky... very bourbon nose (like Jim Beam 12), finish and taste not very flabbergasting
Sweet nose full of apple pie, cinnamon and vanilla. The high abv is a bit too prominent unfortunately
Sweetness continues with again the apples, cinnamon and honey. Then the pepper kicks in. Second sip after being adjusted to the alcohol shows a smoother and more layered taste with butter and some oak
Very warm, peppery and dry finish. Not as long as I would have expected it to last.