Glen Moray Cider Cask Project

2000
Strength
07 Oct 2018 10:32 am by Nidan

Whisky Reviews for Glen Moray Cider Cask Project

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.62 points

1. Moses scored this whisky 77 points Connoisseur

By chance I got a sample and approached it completely inexperienced. But that's exactly how I ended this tasting. Life is too short for that. Sorry
    I'm sure this bottle divides spirits.
      Front ripe apples washed with lemon water. Freshly dried grass in a wooden barrel. No vanilla. Little effect.
    • Taste
      Apples again. Wood spices with an inconspicuous texture. Sour, fruity without vanilla and then a bit bitter. Flat and boring. Or he has something that I can't break up. Sorry
      In a nutshell, the same disappointment as the main part. The nose was the best part. Don't want to comment on that. Nobody needs this bottle. The PLV is a shock. Sorry

2. peatbogger scored this whisky 81 points Specialist

Not tasted much from this distillery, although I visited last year. The Elgin Classic was a big disappointment.
    So it can only go upward from there, right?

Not had that many types of cider either, and when I do I usually don't nose it too much.

I applaud every risk that is taken in experimentation, where would we be without it?
    This was a sample from karloff. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I doubt I would pay the asking price for a full bottle.
      Sweet and fresh. Lots of apple, a little pear and a small twist of lemon, all with a fermented note.
      There's definitely something here that I've not come across in a whisky before, guess that's the cider.
      Simple and soft, but actually quite inviting nose with very little alc fumes.
      As I said, sweet over ripe naturally fermented fruit juices, add some faint floral notes like from a dish washing liquid (it's not soapy) and it's almost like something you expect out of a £2 can and not a £100 bottle.
    • Taste
      Yes, this is clearly cider, with quite a bit more "oompf".
      Not too sure if it's apple or pear.
      Because it arrives with a very sweet pear note, and then it quickly goes dry and slightly bitter on apple.
      It's not colored or chillfiltered which is good, and 46,3 sits just about right.
      The +46% also carries a small but pleasant amount of spice, and in it's rather simple profile I suspect anything weaker would have felt watery, which it is not.
      I would have liked it more if there had been more of the sweet and less of the bitter. Just the way I want my cider.
      Not too much lenght to it, which is OK as I find it a bit too drying.

3. holborndrinker scored this whisky 70 points Connoisseur

Experiments are good, but not sure this one worked.
      There are some notes of bourbon, but overpowered by the cider notes, which having drunk too much as a teen doe nothing for me.
    • Taste
      Nail varnish, quite sharp.
      Lingers too long.

4. ezioaudit scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

5. karloff scored this whisky 74 points Specialist

You have to applaud Glen Moray for having a go and trying something different. I am not a Glen Moray fan to be honest but this isn't bad, it's pleasant enough. I am not regretting buying it but I can't see it catching on.
      Straight as,the cider influence is definitely there, toffee apple, cinder toffee, pear and cream soda. When you add a few drops of water it smells a lot sweeter and confectionary.
    • Taste
      The cider influence continues with the taste. It starts off promising and then falls short. It's sweet and fruity then quickly bitter and dry leaving the mouth almost carpeted. So you think to yourself, was the cider in the barrel sweet or dry? This can't make it's mind up. Add a few drops of water and the dryness has gone but is replaced by more bitterness.
      The finish is short and flat but with water it extends it a bit, not a lot and leaves a taste of Iron Bru on the death.

6. _edj scored this whisky 67 points Newbie

This is an interesting whisky for sure - and while the already apple-y Glen Moray gets an exciting boost from the cider cask finish; it is not particularly complex. That is not to say that it is a boring whisky however!

It makes a great background whisky for the times you're looking for something a little sweeter - and it is always exciting to try a distillery's experiments!

7. lok13 scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

I was very pleasently suprised. The cider influence is strongest on the nose but clearly noticeable on the tongue after a small drop of water.
    To me this just replaced all my Speysides as my go to fruity-fresh lighthearted Whisky.