- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- TWE [The Whisky Exchange]
- Stated Age
- 27 years old
- Number of bottles
- 49.8 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- The Whisky Exchange
- Added on
- 28 Sep 2018 1:09 pm by PitchBlack
29 × in wishlist
40 × member ratings
36 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Teeling 1991
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.15 points
- This is probably a very good whiskey but I really despise it when flippers put their bottle up for sale at 3 TIMES the original price just moments after they got sold out and rate it 93 points without probably ever having tasted it. Scandalous behaviour, there should be restrictions on this :-(
I guess the rumors are correct. This is immediately more fruity than your regular undisclosed Irish of a similar age. Passionfruit, mangos, jackfruit -- so yes, very tropical. Thick and jammy. Terrific.
Very complex too. Ok, I guess some reviewers are right about this one. Very fruity, but there's something else in the midpalate that I can't describe just yet.... let me get another sip... maybe some overly ripe jackfruit? There's definitely a slight metallic edge to this. Like this one.
Good balance. Medium length. 92.5 points.
** Addendum: finally got a bottle in Dec 2019 for USD $625. Twice as expensive as your regular undisclosed Irish, yes, but it is also twice as good! **
- To ovanpuyvelde... YES that's a really great whiskey (and i'll write tasting notes later), YES it deserves 93/100 (for me and some others, like Ruben from whiskeynotes), NO you don't know if people selling it and giving it 93/100 have tasted it or not... OK, you don't like people making some money selling bottles twice (or more) the original price (even if it is to buy bottles they couldn't afford not doing this sometimes)... So what? People are free to ask the price they want for a bottle and people are free to buy it, or not. Is this a reason to ban people from your friend list? THAT is maybe not scandalous behaviour but THAT is pathetic behaviour. So next time, be aware and buy faster, don't cry and ban people with pseudo sad smileys...
We’ve had a lot of these undisclosed 1991 Irish single malts in the past few years. Of course this comes with a Teeling badge, but we all know it comes from another Irish distillery – John Teeling founded the Cooley distillery in 1987 and managed it until they sold it to Beam in 2011. Back then they also possessed large stocks from other producers including Midleton. Most of these 1991 casks are said to be Bushmills production.
Anyway I’ve tried over a dozen different 1991 casks and there are many more on Whiskeybase, but I can only think of one sherry cask, the famous Maria label bottling. Now there’s a second sherry cask #6838, bottled exclusively for The Whiskey Exchange.
Teeling 1991 cask #6838 - TWE ExclusiveTeeling 27 yo 1991 (49,8%, OB for The Whiskey Exchange 2018, sherry cask #6838, 180 btl.)
Nose: whoa, the Holy combination indeed: a juicy fruit bomb with jammy sherry. So many tropical fruits, like pink grapefruit, fresh pineapple, kiwi and apricots. Sour cherries and mango too. Subtle floral notes (Moscatel wine), hints of fruit cake / Jaffa cake and light sherry cask spices in the background. Hints of raisins and cognac. Best of both worlds: Irish fruits and sherry, I love it! Mouth: the same explosion of fruits (pineapple, guava, pink grapefruit) alongside sherry notes (raisins, rummy notes, a little cocoa) with a bit more spices along the way (candied ginger, peppery notes). An earthy, almost mineral twist in the end, with a hint of roast coffee beans. Finish: long, on leafy notes (fruit tea), grapefruit, old wood, sour cherries and anise.
Downright excellent, in the top-5 of all Irish whiskeys I’ve had so far. Very complex and vibrant. I’ve always felt sorry for not buying the Maria label, so I had to grab this second chance… Who’s in for a head-to-head?
- A perfect combination of yummy sherry and typical irish fruitiness. I still have to male a face to face with the Maria Label and the Redbreast 25 LMDW, as we're clearly in the same (rare) league. A pure delight.
- I’m more confused than convinced about this one.
Nose: jackfruit, papaya, mango, lychee, dried fruit, figs, it suspends well in fruity area.
Palate: understandable waxy and fruity notes. Still I got loads of exotic fruits like jackfruit and papaya, melon, goes brandy-like grape notes and fruit syrup. Sherry brings dried figs and little gunpowder, in a better way.
Body: round and waxy, but all in all stays at the weaker side. The texture’s somehow sticky n glue-y.
Finish: medium to short. Roasted durian, papaya, pineapples.
Assuming myself the most devoted Irish fan in Asia, I still think 93 is too much. During the 30min it did not develop, the most obvious short of single cask, and the texture of mouthfeel is typical 46-49% cask strength, lacks of power and behaves lil weakness. I prefer the 26yo Rum cask bottled on distillery site.
- Simply legendary, one of the all-time fruit bomb!
Explosive tropical fruits, fresh melons, and papaya, DURIAN!!! Very sweet. Also a little smoke and peatiness. Dried red fruits and rose water. Simply superb.
Oily but elegant, still a fruit bomb, rich and aromatic, sweet banana, little leather.
Short to medium, red fruits, very sweet.
- Compared to the redbreast 25 LMdW, this one is more exotic (maracuja) but the quality is similar.
- Passionfruit, plums, tropical fruits, aged sherry. Age and elegance, the alcohol so soft on the palate. The image of a London club from the 1960s.
- I love the 'Teeling feeling' in general, this is a good whiskey for a fair price, fruity, not so strong, not too complex, so nice to drink a dram during a relaxed evening
Let's respect each other; it can be frustrating when people ask huge prices on the marketplace, but on the other hand it's a free marketplace, so you don't have to buy. As we are all passionate whiskey fans, it would be nice if anyone could afford the bottle he loves, it would be sad if only the rich could buy the rare bottles, but like always rare items have higher prices, like football tickets :-)