90.44/100
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
Wooed by honeyed words
26.05.1987
2nd Fill Ex-Bourbon Barrel
37.105
Strength
07 Sep 2018 12:17 pm by Nergal

Whisky Reviews for Cragganmore 1987 SMWS 37.105

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.44 points

1. Jackson05 scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

In store sample.

I’ve had 3 samples of this in store. I just couldn’t commit to a bottle at the price. $600cdn. It’s good, but just missing a little finesse. Has some old refill bourbon cask notes I love though. Old library books, polish, orange oil, paraffin, nice mouthfeel...

I suppose it depends on your location but smws is frustratingly expensive where I am. It’s 20%+ higher than other IBs, and you have to pay for the ‘privilege’ to buy a bottle. I don’t feel their average out turn quality is worth the premium. I’ll stop there.

Edit: Had another dram of this in a ‘master of malts’ tasting. It was my winner, and the rooms top voted malt. It really is a stunner and popped in this setting. It reminds me of the Rare Malts series with its power and grace. A bit of a closed, hard to get nose, and then big palate and finish. I’m no Cragganmore expert, but it’s the best I’ve had. I could see this just getting better and better with some air time. The price still annoys me, but I’m considering it.

Edit: I finally bought this on sale with no regrets.
      Spicy and ‘closed’. Honey builds, paraffin, orange oil, kiwi, a little mint. Powerful and takes a few drops of water well.
    • Taste
      Big chewy mouthfeel, beeswax, clover honey, honeydew, nougat, toffee, mint, oak spice. Clynelishesque. Rare Maltesque. No funny business, a beautiful old second fill barrel and 30 years.
      Good powerful finish. It’s not tired at all. Lots of honey, kiwi, honeydew, beeswax, soft spice, toffee, mint gum.

2. NectarSong scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

This one is not well integrated on the nose,Alcohol is still very stimulating, but its aroma and taste are very good. It's a little too heavy in the tail rhyme barrel. The fruit taste is less. It can only be said that it's a good wine, but it doesn't amaze me. I will give 91 points if the alcohol is less irritating when smelling

3. thomas_ottzen scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

I have a couple of samples of this one so I might change the score after trying with water- but: yum!

As always I get completely different smells and tastes than what is described but Awesome nonetheless.
      Strawberry, tigerbalm (yup) and wood. After some time in the glass I get marcipan.
    • Taste
      Pow! Strawberry, then fades...
      Pow! Liquorice, then fades...
      Slight woody bitterness in a pleasant way
      Bitterness subsides, the strawberry comes back with a side of Mint chokolate and sometimes I get the sense of a little bit of very mild ash and nutty Cheese.

4. Fight65 scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

IT: 88
      B: 88

5. dramspotter did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

SMWS Tasting Notes: A sweet-talking, charmer of a dram that exuded sticky jelly sweets rolled in hazelnuts and nutmeg. Sugar laden intonations extended into orange and lime marmalade with apricots in syrup and a substantial wedge of sticky toffee pudding. Layered delicately over the sweetness came floral notes of pot pouri and Turkish delight that harmonised with a weighty spice that travelled in the form of cardamom pods and spiced aubergine pickle. Herbal hues characterised thick and viscous cough mixture that imparted onto the palate a glorious texture that combined most elegantly with a peppery tingle. Runny honey oozed over tinned fruit cocktail and parma violets before assuming a nutty stance that echoed earthy connotations. The finish concluded in a sweet and woody fashion, leaving behind reverberations of dried herbs.