87.33/100
04 jul 2018 8:39 am by Coffee@MA
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Glenlivet 1996 SV

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.33 points

1. aspa scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

BLIND TASTING

Nose
    very sweet and sticky. There is something hiding behind it, but I still need some time to sniff out what it is. Heather, fresh grass, hay, barley. Then again powdered sugar and white sugar cubes. Then tart and spicy, curry powder?! Very changeable, that's what you call very complex! Powerful but with well integrated alcohol. Now extremely sweet again, flowers and blossom honey. Somehow a slightly sterile sweetness, not like a fruit salad but more like liquid pure sugar or sweetener. Something floral, plums? A touch of lavender?
    The complexity is very nice, but also subtle, not full on the face like modern cluttered finishes. You have to take a deep breath and try to break up the aromas. Interesting but difficult.
    Now the sweetness dominates and I'm having trouble finding the tart flavors and curry powder I found earlier...

taste
    The first sip is ambiguous. At first, the aromas are only restrained and I suspect it's almost a malt watered down to drinking strength. But then something else comes up, then comes more power and towards the end there is almost a little alcohol on the tongue. However, it is clear that the taste is somehow restrained and subtle. Darling comes here, elegant and discreet, I see the connection there. Otherwise the taste is very sweet, granulated sugar, fresh hay, malt, oak. Nice influence of a probably ex-bourbon cask? Coconut? Does this remind you a little of rum? Was there a rum finish or something at work here? Was that perhaps the weird thing about the sweetness that I couldn't name on the nose? I can now find more coconut in my nose, like Malibu? Slight sharpness towards the finish, black pepper and lots of malt and some bitter oak. The tongue begins to tingle.

departure
    It continues to tingle, not in the navel like the TV commercials used to say, but all over the tongue. In addition, the taste in the mouth is sweet and bitter at the same time, with coconut and lots of oak. Greetings from the Malibu again. The edge of the tongue burns a bit.
    The coconut sticks in your mouth for a long time, like eating a fresh coconut.

Conclusion
    An interesting malt that clearly has the...nose...lead on the nose. the taste is a bit too subtle and much less complex, I find it a little difficult. I suspect a not very high alcohol strength, but somehow I have the feeling that I have an older bottling in the glass, which may also be rather reduced in cask strength.
    I have no idea what it could be, nor really much conviction with the other tips. Bourbon cask with rum cask finish? 20-22 years old and cask strong but only 44-45%? I'm just typing wildly into the unknown. Distillery....no chance, no idea.

...and then when I smell the empty glass, the curry powder comes back, or the oriental spices. Ha! I always find that with Glen Moray. So a Glen Moray with a rum finish? does that even exist?!

I'm at a loss, but excited.

N-90, T-87, F-88 for a tasty 88 points
    • Taste

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.