Oban Distillery Exclusive Bottling

Strength
L8086CM005
27 Jun 2018 3:27 pm by Hasky

Whisky Reviews for Oban Distillery Exclusive Bottling

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.91 points

[October, 2018] I had a dram at Oban distillery so I guess this was authentic (25ml were poured out of a "distillery exclusive" bottle in the distillery shop's bar for 7 GBP, that is what I call a real bargain!).

The nose and taste are rather unimpressive - I find both the standard 14-years old Oban and the "Little Bay" bottling much more to my liking than this 100 GBP distillery exclusive. But the real problem is the mouthfeel and finish: Even hours after I left the distillery and even after I had coffee and snacks there is a strange and unpleasant mouthfeel as if something metallic-plastic wraps my taste buds. Really disgusting - and if this dram was truly authentic than this is the worst distillery exclusive bottling I ever tried (so far). Anyone out there who had comparable impressions?

PS: Because I could not believe this dram was authentic I bought a second dram two weeks later at the distillery (out of a different bottle, for sure) and it completely confirms the impressions of the first one: disgusting and undrinkable, I swear!
      The nose offers a rather feinty profile on some cheesy (sweaty) and strange plastic-alike aromas that are hard to name. Very unusual and not to my liking at all. I cannot catch any pleasant flavour (like fruits, honeys, spices or flowers), so why did they select this as an "exclusive" release - of course, it is exclusive but not in an enjoyable way...
    • Taste
      The taste is sugary sweet and … to be honest: disgusting on an artificial metallic-plastic flavour that coats both the tongue and mouth for hours. I shared this dram with a good friend and he confirms these impressions completely. He got the unpleasant flavours and mouthfeel for hours after finishing the dram, too (remember, the dram was served out of an original bottle at the Oban distillery). I think it is very nasty to bottle such stuff and sell it for 100 (!!!) GBP at the distillery...
      The dram arrives unpleasant and with a strange "industrial" metallic-plastic feeling in the mouth. This is a very unpleasant and disgusting mouthfeel which pops up from time to time even hours after I finished the dram and had dinner afterwards. The finish itself is short as a lightning and adds no new impressions but leaves you with this unpleasant metallic-plastic feeling that kills your taste buds for hours. Whoever selected these casks should be punished to drink one of these "exclusive" drams both before lunch and dinner every day until all bottles are sold!

2. Rien scored this whisky 80 points Connoisseur

• Taste

3. bakerman scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

Light vanilla and toffee with a spicy finish. A little simple altogether.