- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Cask Bottling
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Pedro Ximénez Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 57.6 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Bottled for
- independentspirit.de Exclusive
- Added on
- 26 Jun 2018 4:14 pm by riesenwattwurm
10 × in wishlist
16 × member ratings
52 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for BenRiach 2005
3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.07 points
- If you have a sweet tooth and like whiskies with a heavy sherry influence, this might be a bargain for you. For my taste this is a bit too stickily sweet, overpowering the character of the Benriach spirit and not really very complex. It's good and recommended if you want a dessert malt (and thus worth 84/100 points), but very liqueurish without a counterweight (distillery character or wood spice), which is not what I am looking for in a whisky.
Neat: First good news is that there is no sulphur, but a thick and deep PX nose with grape must, raisins, caramelized nuts, rancio, bitter orange and heavily sweetened coffee. Sweet, straightforward sherry, very clean for this style. If you like this kind of sherry profile, this is great. I'm okay with it, but I would prefer a drier character and a little bit more age in order to balance the thick and sweet sherry influence with some wood spice.
With water: Nutty, now with a bit of damp earth creeping in, but always with the sweetness present. Oily, fat resinous sherry. Nice, but not very complex.
Neat: Extremely sweet, concentrated and powerful attack, thick cream sherry, almost liqueur-ish. Sun-dried grapes, sweetened almond milk, dates, dried prunes and treacle.
With water: Didn't really change much. I must say, I preferred it neat despite the strength.
Medium long, sweet, with treacle, dates and grapes.
- oh wow, interesting complex nose, very harmonious combination of sherry with some chocolate caramel.....
in the mouth surprisingly soft for its 57.6%, fruity and long; takes water very well, the sherry aroma becomes more complex with a hint of pepper/spices in the finish.... long finish considering the age of 12 years...
all in all very round and easy sippable, really recommended.... 89/90p with a tendency towards 90p especially considering the nice price.