- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Oloroso Sherry Casks
- Stated Age
- 18 years old
- Oak Casks + Oloroso Sherry Butts Finish
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- L 11 01 18
- Added on
- 26 Jun 2018 10:52 am by Belsn
15 × in wishlist
87 × member ratings
203 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tomatin 18-year-old
23 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.44 points
- A solid 18 year old with a sherry influence. Not more but also not less. It is more characterized by wood than sherry. Doesn't do his thing badly, but he's not enthusiastic either.
- After 50 days of very round development in the half-empty bottle, the clear oak wort when uncorked is now super integrated and beneficial to the complexity.
Leave time, take a lot of noses and small sips to grasp it in its great complexity. First takes another 15-20 minutes to breathe in the Glencairn glass.
Color: rich, beautiful to look at, copper-dark amber
a: oak sherry sherry dried fruits raisin sweet vanilla honey lemon dark chocolate malt ginger mint apple (baked apple, comes with time) cherry
Barrel types and ages very easy to smell, great nosing, varied and changing. A wonderful "trial whisky"
Oak Spices Ginger Malt Nuts Walnut Oil Sherry Sherry Dried Fruit Raisin Sweet Vanilla Caramel Lemon Herb Dark Chocolate Cherry Fruit
Very well balanced and matured with the notes of the Bourbon and Oloroso barrels, ABV well integrated and supportive, never too strong. In the mouth initially powerful, then becoming more complex, initially mouthwatering, then becoming a little drier. All of this is tasty and creamy and simply delicious. Always tasting different
Oak Spices Sherry Sweet Dark Chocolate Malt
Good medium length, now the oak spice tones dominate a bit, but also a lot of the other impressions in the background. Not quite as impressive as the nose and palate
- Oddly disappointing, considering I liked the other 18yo, and also the 14yo port finish. There is a surprisingly strong ethanol note here that ruins it some for me.
Dried fruit, faint cigarette smoke, grape skins, leather, tinned cherries.
The body feels flat on the tongue. Candy licorice, milk chocolate, and a clear taste of ethanol.
Licorice, mushrooms, and chocolate.
- the best 18 years old scotch out there, great VFM.
dried fig and a lot of chocolate!
- December 06, 2018
Very nice, strong malt. Fruitiness, honey sweetness and oak spice harmonize perfectly.
Great, full flavor with sweet apples, vanilla and honey. A hint of cinnamon and then a little orange.
Strong and mouth-filling, orange, honey, oak and chocolate. Some pepper and plum.
Pleasant, long and sweet finish with great oak spice and dark chocolate. Honey also lingers on the palate for a long time. Getting dry later.
- Sweet cherry and candy like on the nose, vanilla. After taking a sip there's this mustiness and dustiness of an old basement. It's a bit sweet and salty on the tongue, complex leaving a food like buttery popcorn finish.
- Bottle recently opened, I plan to re-evaluate it later. Perfect whisky for lovers of sweet flavors, warm and mellow notes
Pulpy fruit, licorice liqueur, there is something fleshy, bread crust, fortified chocolate (mon chéri), tobacco, lots of honey
Dense, chocolaty, very sweet, spicy, slightly tannic, caramelized muscovado brown sugar
Very sweet, honey, toffee
- Raisins, vanilla, wine and sherry