- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 29 May 2018 8:58 am by Rino Rotten
7 × in wishlist
39 × member ratings
75 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Kavalan Classic
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 78.89 points
- b. 13/07/2017. Tasted 24/04/2021
- Challenging. I have to make a face. Then it's short, sweet, then lemon, then bitter. The second sip is fine. Instead of the faulty notes, malt mixes with it. There is room for improvement here. A lot of room. Full review (in german): https://keinehalbendrinks.de/2020/03/05/kavalan-bis-zum-umfallen/
- For a 40%, NAS, entry level malt, I must admit my expectations weren't high. However within its weight class this Kavalan is surprisingly tasty. Already on the nose the sherry influence is clear but it merged with the tropical notes (think papayas) of the distillate so that the end result avoided the overly raisiny/syrupy flavours that I normally dislike in sherried whiskies. The mouth basically follows the nose with some additional peppery notes that lead into a short, but pleasant finish.
- Bourbon notes.
- 18-03-2017: my first encounter with Kavalan, Whiskyfestival Gent 2017.
tropical fruits, flowers
mango, spices, oak
spices, vanilla, little fruit