89.57/100
HL 54376
19 May 2018 3:01 pm by z-imaging
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Blended Malt Scotch Whisky 45-year-old HL

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.57 points

1. Gris scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Serge on whiskyfun.com:
    I would have never said, ten years ago, that we would try these many bottlings for the Far East. Japan had been big for decades and we tried a fair share of their bottlings, but Taiwan, China and Hong Kong are just growing and growing on the worldwide whisky scene. I may have to learn mandarin sooner or later, my friend, which I would do with much pleasure, I’m sure I would easily reach the level of a 2yo baby after only five years of incessant efforts. Colour: mahogany. Nose: who the hell would blend a 45 years old and not even use a crystal decanter with a brass stopper? First up, coffee with wild raspberry eau-de-vie, Alsatian style. That’s 2/3 vs.1/3. I mean, 2/3 coffee vs. 1/3 eau-de-vie. That’s sorted. Then, the most profound chocolateness, something distinctively Macallan – I am absolutely not saying this is Macallan, mind you – and a luminous blend of very old oloroso with the finest old triple-sec. A drop of umami sauce, one of hoisin sauce, and one of soy sauce for good measure. That’s a lot of sauce. Splendid. Mouth: perhaps a tad jumbled now, we have to wait before all the chocolate, coffee and fruity spices find their spots, but it’s rather a bed of roses after that, with just a touch of rubber, all the rest being absolutely perfect. Including the fruitcakes, jams, chocolates and clove-y spices. And it does not taste old. Finish: long, with a little more flints and gunpowder, as well as truffles. Other than that, cinnamon and cloves. Comments: Edrington stock? We’ve also known some old Bunnahabhains that had been like this, remember B. had been part of E. for a wee while. Anyway, just rambling on... By the way, let it breathe.
    SGP:561 - 91 points.