76.67/100
Blend
Chivas Brothers Ltd. (Chvs)
Blended Scotch Whisky
Market
it Italy
09 May 2018 3:38 pm by alex..w..fan

Whisky Reviews for Chivas Regal 12-year-old

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 76.67 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 74 points Connoisseur

Lovely viscosity
    The blend Chivas Regal 12 Year Old has never been much on my radar, to be honest. I’ve tried a few from different era’s but have never founds one that I truly like, I’m sorry to have to say. But when my whiskybuddy Benny was able to score to bottles – one from 1987 and one from 2006 – and asked me if I was interested in a head-to-head, I jumped at the chance. I’ll start with the one from 1987, when Seagram’s was still on the label and the liquid was bottled at 43%

Very caramelized nose on grain cookies, vanilla, honey and some peach. Surprisingly fresh after all these years in the bottle. Hint of chocolate and marzipan. Better than current versions and then some. Please, although nog complex.

Unfortunately honeysweet with a huge bitterness on the palate. Hardly any fruit (a single peach), but mostly honey, sugars and a spiciness in the guise of white pepper and oak. Pity, the nose promised a tad more. The body, however, is fine. Good mouth feel. Lovely viscosity.

The finish is medium long, honeysweet and gently fades away.

Still far from a grand blend, but in my (not so) humble opinion the best Chivas 12 I have tried so far. Thanks, Benny!